Angel in Disguise

Hospital.

Sitting by her purple-eyed best friend, Angel let out a loud sigh. Logan had called her from a payphone an hour before saying that he was a state away and should be there soon. She told him which hospital they were at and which room. The brunette got up and walked into the private bathroom in Belle’s room and looked in the mirror, frowning at her appearance. Her hair was in tangles down her back, her eyes were dulled, and her face was blotched in bruises ranging from yellow to a dark purple.

Sighing again, Angel tossed her hair into a bun on the top of her head, and then walked back into the room to grab her bag. She changed quickly, knowing that Logan probably wasn’t very far away. She covered the bruises with some foundation, but, to her frustration, only the yellowish and light blue bruises were able to be covered. The others, like the ones littering her right cheekbone, still stood out. “Logan’s going to pitch a fit,” she muttered, smoothing the liquid out onto her skin a little better.

“What am I going to pitch a fit about?” A gruff voice said from behind her. She let out a terrified squeak and spun around. She smiled, happy to see him for the first time in what felt like years, but it quickly vanished when his dark eyes zeroed in on her bruises.

“Logan, they aren’t that bad,” she tried to reason. He shook his head, inhaling sharply.

“I’m not even sure I can see Belle if seeing you like this is already pissing me off to no fucking end,” he growled. “How is she?”

“The doctor said that she’s starting to show more brain activity. She should wake up soon,” Angel explained what the doctor had told her that morning.

“Did you go to the police?” He asked. She shook her head.

“No. I woke up in the hospital and no one would tell me anything. A couple days later, I was brought into NCIS, that’s Naval Criminal Investigative Service,” she said noticing Logan’s confused furrow of his brow, “and I was questioned.”

“Are you a suspect?” He asked in slight shock. She shrugged.

“Possibly. I’m not entirely sure why if I am. I was found unconscious just like Belle.”

“Protocol,” a voice just as gruff as Logan’s said from the doorway. They both turned and Angel frowned when she saw it was Agents Gibbs and DiNozzo.

“Is something wrong?” She asked.

“Just checking up,” DiNozzo said smoothly. She nodded in acceptance and then remembered that Logan had no idea who they were and vice versa.

“Oh, sorry, Logan, this is Agent Gibbs and Agent DiNozzo. They’re from NCIS. This is my older brother, Logan.”

“Agents,” was Logan’s greeting. Angel was actually surprised he said that much to them.

“How is Petty Officer West doing?” DiNozzo asked, shifting slightly to get a better view of the beat up blond on the bed behind Angel and Logan.

“She’s doing as well as can be expected,” was the brunette’s honest answer.

“That’s good,” DiNozzo said with a smile that made Angel’s heart flutter. Good God, his smile is so sexy, she thought with a sly smile. Obviously knowing what she was thinking, Logan rolled his dark eyes.

“We questioned the man at the bar, Mister Johnson. He remembers the fight that you and Miss West had with the suspects,” Gibbs said.

“Mister Johnson?” She asked, confused. Then, her eyes widened with realization. “Oh, Eddie!”

“Yes, Edward Johnson. He owns the bar. The two men that you two fought with are Jason Billings and Barry Winslet,” Gibbs said.

“Billings and Winslet are known Mutant Haters in DC. They’ve been arrested for multiple accusations, but the police have never had anything solid to pin on them. We’re hoping that when Miss West wakes up and both of your statements match up with Mister Johnson’s then we will have enough to hold them until the DNA samples collected from the wounds on both you and Miss West match up,” DiNozzo supplied.

“That’s great!” Angel explained, shooting Logan a relieved smile.

“Why could police never hold those two assholes?” He growled out.

“Nothing substantial that would hold in court came up,” Gibbs explained.

“Thank you for informing us,” Angel said. Gibbs nodded and stalked out of the room. DiNozzo shot her a smile and then followed the gruff man. The brunette rubbed her neck, soothing the muscles that have been tense since all of this happened, and sighed. “I’m going to be so glad when all this shit is over.”

“You and me both,” Logan agreed, walking towards Belle. He took the seat that Angel had previously occupied and gripped the blond’s limp hand. “You gotta wake up soon, Kid,” he muttered quietly. Angel turned her head, giving the two some privacy. She heard him get up and walk over to her. He slung an arm around her shoulders and smiled slightly. “Let’s grab some dinner,” he suggested. She nodded and the two left the hospital room.

Image


“Now,” Logan began, leaning back in the booth he was sitting in. Angel sighed, dropping her fork with a clatter, and gave him a ‘go on’ look. “I want the description of those two guys; Jason Billings and Barry Win-something.” The brunette rolled her pretty blue eyes.

“Winslet, Logan, and the Feds are taking care of it. You should just drop it,” she muttered lowly so no one could hear what the two were talking about.

They were sitting in a corner booth at a local DC diner. It was one of those diners that are family owned and have been around for, like, ever.

He shot her a glare, nowhere near the level that most people get, but his ‘don’t fuck with me’ glare. “Angelina Danielle Greene, tell me what those bastards look like. Now.” She scrunched her nose.

“There’s no need to get an attitude,” she said. “Or use my middle name.” He just raised an eyebrow. “Fine; Barry Winslet has mud brown eyes and his hair is about a light brown. He’s big, not heavy set, but, like, strong-big. Jason Billings has dark green eyes and dirty blond hair. He’s scrawny, but tall. About five inches taller than Barry.” She could tell by his eyes, he was remembering everything about their descriptions.

“Thank you. Now, was that so fucking hard?” He asked with a bite. She narrowed her eyes.

“Shut up and eat the dinner I’m paying for,” she retorted.

“You’re bossier than I remember.”

“And you’re meaner. There, we’re even.”

“Fine.”

“Fine.” They smiled at each other, slipping into their easy banter effortlessly.

“Now that I think about it, what does that Johnson dude look like?” He asked after taking a drink of his coffee.

“What? Why? Eddie didn’t do anything,” she protested, defending the man who defended her and Belle against the Mutant Haters.

“To thank him for sticking up for mutants,” was his answer. Angel blinked. Wow, he wants to thank someone? Fuck, the world’s ending and Hell is freezing over, she thought.

“He was older; had salt and pepper hair and caramel colored eyes. You could probably go to his bar tonight and thank him,” she suggested. He nodded, taking another drink of his coffee. He set the now empty cup down and stared at her expectantly. “Are you ready?” She asked. He nodded, standing up.

“Thought you’d never ask.” She just rolled her eyes and placed a fifty on the table, easily covering the tab and leaving a hefty tip for having to put up with Logan’s attitude.

“Where are you staying while you’re here?” She asked while they were walking to her car.

“A motel about three blocks away. Are you going back to the hospital?” She shook her head negatively.

“No, I’m going back to mine and Belle’s hotel room and taking a shower and catching up on some sleep. Are you going to be there tomorrow?”

“As soon as I wake up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope everyone likes. Comment? Message? Subscribe? Thanks.