Status: Completed, please continue on to sequel ----->

We Won't Back Down

Chapter Twelve.

Chapter Twelve.

Athena Elwell.

I was dragged all the way outside, to the front yard by an extremely pissed off looking Craig Mabbitt. Was he really willing to cause a scene in the front yard of his best friend’s house? Who was I kidding? Of course he was, he was willing to moon half of our class at a pep rally just to get noticed by the girls in our grade. He was the type of guy who would do just about anything to be noticed by everyone by doing the craziest things.
He whipped around and I could almost see the devil in his eyes.
“What the fuck was that in the library ‘Thena!?” he yelled, but the only thing that really caught my attention was the fact that he used the childhood name that he and only he ever called me.
“What do you mean?” I asked, never really being one for the controversy, especially out in the open like this.
“You brought up the past today, don’t act like an idiot!” he snapped, “It doesn’t suit you at all.”
“I’m not acting like anything, I just don’t get why that is so fucking important!” I snapped back at him, not liking being insinuated as an idiot. “I’m sorry that I have feelings!”
“But why does the past even matter though?” he asked, stepping closer and almost on cue it began to rain. Craig always looked fantastic dowsed in rain, always gave him that fascinatingly good looking element guy’s get when they are…what the hell was I thinking?
“Because I thought you were better than that?” I said, looking down, half lying about what I really wanted to say and not wanting to let him know how much he hurt me. His eyes glared down at me, almost as if he could tell I was lying, which in complete and utter honestly I wouldn’t be shocked because he always had a talent of being a human lie detector.
“I know that part, now what is the whole truth?” he questioned, it almost felt like he was cornering me, but the yard was so vast that I could easily get away if needed. I hate how he could call me out on so many things and while it could anger me to the point of no return, he still could make my heart skip a beat.
“I am just pissed to the fact that you would get a girls heart and hopes so high up on cloud nine only to take it and bring on the cruel reality of what you really wanted!”
“She meant nothing to me! For God’s sake, we were at a party and we were both drunk. Neither one of us could really atone for our actions…we both regretted it that next morning, I nev…”
He was cut off by my cellphone going off, playing Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold and I knew from that that Ryan was calling, sparking my interest right away.
“Ryan!” I exclaimed, seeing Craig rolling his eyes at me, but when it came to Ryan it felt like when I was with him or talking to him that nothing could go wrong. I walked a few feet away from Craig and answered the call. “Hey there!”

“Hey…” he sounded distant, like he really didn’t want to be on the phone with me for some odd reason.
“W-what is wrong?” I asked, concern and worry filling my voice
“Look, I have been thinking and as much as it pains me to say this, I don’t think this is going to work out.”
“I…don’t understand.”
“You are amazing and I am glad that we gave this a chance, because you are an amazing and fantastic woman who I am glad I got date. I just know that the feeling isn’t completely mutual because you have feelings for Craig.” He barely gave me time to deny it. “And before you deny it, I know how you feel, but you know what? Here is your chance; my advice for you is to take this chance.” He sighed and I could hear the guys talking in the background. “Well, I guess this is goodbye, I hope that Craig makes you happy. “
The line went dead and I just stared at the phone.

“Fantastic, you can’t even stop thinking about fucking your boyfriend long enough to finish a damn conversation.” Craig scoffed. I turned around slowly, with a fire of resentment burning in my eyes.
“He… broke up with me.” I said through clenched teeth, narrowing my eyes through welling tears, boring holes into his very soul. His expression immediately dropped in disbelief.
“Oh… oh god, ‘Thena I-I didn’t kno-” he began to apologize? Why was Craig being such a dick?
“You know what Mabbitt? Save it! And spare your damn explanation. Because the fact is, you at least wanted her a little bit. No matter how drunk you were, alcohol is no excuse for your actions. You sure didn’t give up much of a fight.” I began to unload my frustration on him.
“Athena.” He slipped a word in.
“You want to know what I think? I think you’re a despicable liar who runs from everyone who gives a flying fuck about you!” I raised my voice.
“Damn it, Athena!” He matched my tone.
“You knew exactly what you were doing Craig, so don’t try to cover your floosy tracks with your sorry excuses, because they count for nothing.”
“ATHENA! Fuck! Would you shut the hell up already? Damn it!” He yelled at me, his face flushing with aggravation.
“No! You know, I’m done waiting for you. I’m done hearing your fucking excuses, and I’m feeling a fraction of ANYTHING for you! You did it to yourself. You know what… you disgust me.” I cut back in and began to pull out my ipod to unravel my hear buds.
I began to back away from Craig, retreating to the road as the rain droplets soaked my clothing. It was already dark and the only thing seen for miles were a single pair of car lights in the distance of the back road that Max lived on. I proceeded to put my hood up and insert my ear buds. I found the angry playlist I had made to listen to whenever I was upset. “I’m not listening to this bullshit anymore.” I mumbled under my breath. The song “Playing God” by Paramore roared to life in my ears as I started practically jogging down the road. I wanted nothing more than to be a thousand miles away from Craig Mabbitt at that very moment. I let myself get lost in the lyrics of the music.

Craig Mabbitt.

I followed after her, after gaining some composure of what had just transpired and I couldn’t stay away from her. I just had this gut feeling that something bad was going to happen if I didn’t follow. I saw her only ten feet ahead of me, but I saw something coming at a speed that I knew she probably wasn’t paying attention.
The car was coming at a speed and swerving all over the road, accelerating the closer it got to Athena. I had to do something and fast, because I couldn’t lose her like this. I started running faster and faster, feeling my muscles burning, but ignoring it because I had to protect her. I shoved her into a nearby ditch, hearing her scream, but it was shortly cut out by the sound of metal crunching and my body hitting the pavement. My world abruptly faded to black.
Athena Elwell.
Everything had happened so fast, that I didn’t have time to process what had just transpired before my eyes. I had looked up for an instance to see headlights coming out of nowhere only to feel my world falling into a very muddy ditch, hearing the car hitting something and crunching as something hit the pavement.
I looked up to see the car to a complete stop, the driver just leaning against the steering wheel (possibly dead), and someone was a few feet from the car. The back of their head looked oddly familiar and that teal shirt brought the name to the tip of my tongue.
“Craig, oh my god, Craig….no no no!” I felt tears coming to my eyes and I ran to his side, “Please…please don’t die on me.”
I got up and grabbed my phone, making sure it still worked and I dialed 911, informing them of what happened and where we were at. I hung up the phone and sat there for a moment, the rain falling heavier and heavier by the second and I did the only thing I could think of next.

Call Shelia.