Status: Completed, please continue on to sequel ----->

We Won't Back Down

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight.

Athena

I sat in the same desk, in the same room, with the same lame teacher who hardly came out o of his office to do his job for hours on end. Finally it was time our lunch and then our hour long break that followed. I didn’t understand why they were right after the other so it was more like an extended lunch period. The bell and I slapped my pencil down on top of a test I was taking for Finance Math. Without waiting for my sisters, I bolted out of the door, feeling my stomach eating itself from within. Sometimes I hated my condition, being hypoglycemic and all. My blood sugar had dropped and I could feel my limbs shaking already. The fatigue and dizziness hit me so suddenly and I knew I had to make a mad dash for the cafeteria.

I stumbled down the step, falling a time or two, but always getting back up immediately to carry out my quest for salvation. When I finally got to the line, I stood behind Monte and Robert oddly enough. Oh shit! I turned my back to them, in hopes they wouldn’t turn around and notice me. Well, it could be worse I suppose. It could be Craig.

“Dude, I can’t be Craig is our Valedictorian.” Monte stated as if this was a predetermined fact. I snickered to myself, knowing full well Craig couldn’t actually be the head of our class.

“I know, it’s crazy isn’t it. If Athena were here, she’d be pissed he knocked her out of the running at the last minute.” Robert replied as if I wasn’t standing right there...which I guess was justifiable because they hadn’t exactly spotted me yet.

“She’d straight castrate him man!” Monte exclaimed, laughing his ass off. Was this legit? What the fuck was this? I could feel the anger welling up inside of me. Now he had taken Valedictorian from me too? What the hell was happening to my life? As far a I had known, I was still top in the class and Craig was a few people behind me in class rank. Granted I had been gone for almost three months, it’s possible he could have gotten a leg up on me… but enough to surpass me completely? No fucking way. I continued to eavesdrop, waiting impatiently to get through this line. My stomach had churned from my hypoglycemic attack on top of finding out the news this way. I was going to have to confront the school if this was true.

I passed a sign that had the order of what was happening in what order for graduation and sure enough, Craig’s name was in my spot and I wasn’t even in Salutatorian. The name beside it made me cringe because of the memories it brought back for me. She had taken Craig from me and now had even taken the next best thing to Valedictorian. Alana Serpents was one of those fake blondes that acted so stupid that you wondered if she really wasn’t a fake blonde. She had slept around with every guy in the last two graduating classes and had tried to make it around this one, but with the rumor of her having an STD, no one would touch her. Craig and her hooked up at a party once, and even though he swears to this day that he felt nothing for her, it never eased to pain. But seeing them up there in Valedictorian and Salutatorian, their names right next to each other, the seething hatred and disgust I had felt the time I found out about their exchange of bodily fluids punched me in the gut.

That’s right...I was outdone by a blonde bimbo super, super senior and it would be something that I would never let myself live down. If I couldn’t kick Craig out of my rightful spot, she sure as hell would not be speaking at graduation. I would kill someone before I would ever let that happen.

I finally got to the front of the line, grabbing what was available for hot lunch and a milk and heading to my normal spot. I would probably have to wait a while before my sisters would get to join me, so I spent my time alone scarfing down my meal and contemplating my return to the top. Someone started waving their hand in front of my face, causing me to jump out of my skin and I met the eyes of the enemy. Alana Serpents.

“Welcome back Aussie. Look like your boyfriend stole your spot in class rank. And oh, look! Guess I’m right behind him this time, instead of the other way around like two years ago at that party. You sure know how to pick them. Don’t’ know if I ever got to thank you for the ride of my life.” She taunted me, and I swear I witnessed her forked tongue flicker at me. Bitch.

I clenched my teeth and stood up slowly to face her, anger welling up inside of me and I couldn’t help what was about to happen next. I turned to face her and undoubtedly did my fist connect to her face. I heard a loud crack upon impact of my release of emotions and all of the hate I had felt for her had fueled the sucker punch of a lifetime. She let out a scream before going down like a little bitch and lay on the floor knocked out cold. I was fairly certain I had just broken her nose as well. I whipped a sharpie out of my bag pocket and proceeded to write “I AM A WHORE,” on her forehead and then I practiced my signature on her jawline backwards so she could read the name of her new nightmare when he looked in the mirror. Fuck with me, so be it. Fuck with my man (literally) and then rub it in my face, I swear to god you’ll wish you were never born! I hocked a loogie on her before stepping over her unconscious body and threw the rest of my lunch away. That’ for the last three year of emotional agony cunthole! I was going to be hearing about that later however. I didn’t even care, in my mind it was worth it.

“My god, Athena! What did you do to Alana?” the dean of students exclaimed, coming out to the courtyard to see her lying on the ground unconscious.

“What I should have done a longass time ago.” I stated truthfully.

“Office. Now!” he seethed at me, running over to check on Alana. I rolled my eyes and proceeded to the office like he told me. Now came the unpleasant part of my one violent decision. I rarely got myself into trouble or mischief, but at that point I didn’t care what the consequence would be. However, now I had to fight to stay in school again.

*******************************************************
“Miss Elwell, I’m astounded! This is your first offense in your educational history. I understand you she may have provoked you but it is still no excuse for laying her out like that. Try to keep your anger in check will you? Since I am feeling generous and seeing as it is so close to graduation, I’m giving you two days suspension and you can make up whatever you’ve missed for half credit online. Now get out of my office before I change my mind.” The principal waved me off after having a thorough discussion about what had happened at lunch. I till had another 45 minute left of my hour break. I thanked him and grabbed my bag before exiting the office, feeling like a short walk to clear my head would be needed.

I threw my bag in my locker and grabbed my hoodie and ipod before heading down. When I arrived at the football field, there were a few students from a gym class running on the track and passing a mini football game happening out on the field. Ugh! Sports. I had never been one for sports, unless you count the time I was competitive cheerleader. And yes, even though I was actually quite good at it, I was still very ashamed.

Instead of going over to the heavily populated football field, I made my way into the baseball dugouts where I could be alone and lose myself in the almighty voice of Amy Lee. It was quiet for a few minutes and I was quite enjoying my time singing quietly, perfectly matching Amy in pitch and tone while keeping one ear bud out in case I had to make an escape if people decided they wanted play a game of ball. I jumped out of my skin when I heard an all too familiar voice speak out.

“I thought I heard a familiar voice kicking an Evanescence songs ass over here. Nice of you tell me you were back,” came the voice of Craig Mabbitt. Oh boy, here we go.

“Didn’t think it mattered much. Did your fuck buddy send you over here to finish what she started? Do you want to rub it in my face too?” I asked, not even giving him a second glance.

“Damnit Athena, of course it fucking matters. And could you at least say hello? Or thank me for the compliment I just gave you?” he asked me, coming over to sit down next to me.

“No...No I cannot because it was probably a lie. It’s what you’re good at.” I scoff, try my damndest not to look him in the eyes.

“God fucking damnit ‘Thena! You don’t fucking think I know I fucked up! Okay, yes I fucked up, but you didn’t exactly react like a saint either. Dating Ryan and then that prick overseas just to spite me for a mistake I made two, almost three years ago?” he refused to beat around the bush. Well if that was the way this was going to go down, I would not back down.

“Who the fuck said I did those things to spite you? God damn, do you ever get your head out of your ass long enough to realize not everything is all about you? Don’t be too flattered there Mabby.” I retorted

“Oh bullshit! You can’t pretend part of that wasn’t to piss me off and punish me. I know I fucked another girl when I gave you all the signs that I wanted to be with you. I know I got your hopes up and I crushed it, okay. I know all of this fucking situation we’re in is my fault because it should have been you Athena!” He practically shouted at me, standing up and looking hard at me, and I couldn’t think of anything in response to it. Did he just admit that I was supposed to be the one he gave his innocence to? The sound of voices heading our way prevented the exchange of more words from the mouth of Craig. He stood there for a moment, seething with mixed emotions.

“Craig…” I finally managed to breath out.

“You and I need to have a little chat about that note you left me when you moved to Australia for three months.” He murmured before the rest of Craig’s group caught up to him in the dugouts.

“Note?” I whispered before Craig ran off to join his fitness class.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope this chapter fulfilled your reading needs and want :) Hope you enjoyed it! Comment, subscribe, recommend, tell your friends. Thank for reading!