Status: Slow active due to uni work

Broken Bones and Shattered Hearts

Daddy

Chapter Nineteen.

One week later Bam returned from his trip. Although they had been texting each other constantly, Lexi had missed him desperately. She and Caleb went to meet him at the airport on the afternoon of his return. As she sat nervously in the arrivals lounge, Lexi remembered being a teenager and waiting for him to come back from his tours.

“When’s Bam getting here?” Caleb demanded, becoming more and more impatient. He had missed Bam just as much as Lexi this week.

“He’ll be here any minute.” Lexi told her stroppy son, glancing at the flight times.

“I wish he’d hurry.” Caleb moaned, making Lexi giggle to herself. Caleb had certainly grown attached to Bam over the past few weeks and she was fairly certain the same could be said for Bam. She had been considering telling Caleb the truth. As she pondered these thoughts, a crowd of people made their way into the arrivals lounge and Lexi instantly spotted Bam.

He was dressed in a black shirt and jeans his sunglasses still on. Lexi had always made fun of him for this, but he took them off as he spotted her and she could see him eyes sparkling as he made his way over.

“I’ve missed you so much!” he exclaimed, striding over to Lexi and pulling her into a tight embrace.

“I’ve missed you too.” She said, breathing in his scent as if her life depended on it. Now she had him back she didn’t want to let go, but Caleb was tugging at Bam’s leg so he let her go and scooped Caleb up into his arms.

“Have you missed me little fellow?” Caleb laughed and pulled Bam’s hat off, revealing his dark curls. Lexi was suddenly taken aback by the striking similarity between father and son. It was time to introduce Caleb to his dad, she thought.

“Have you spoken to Tom?” Bam asked, putting Caleb back down.

Lexi shook her head guiltily; she knew this would come up. “Jenn?” she turned the question back to him in an attempt to make herself feel better.

Bam shook his head as well. “This week.”

“You wanna go get something to eat before heading home?”

Lexi agreed, desperate for any excuse to spend more time with Bam. The past week had been difficult and she was struggling to keep herself together, her head was in such a mess. She followed Bam out of the airport and they headed to her car.

“I told Jenn that Ryan was picking me up.” Bam admitted as he threw his things into the back of the car.

“Ryan knows about us.” Lexi sighed quietly, buckling herself into the driver’s seat. “I swear my cousin has a sixth sense.”

“He always knows everything.” Bam laughed from the back of the car as he fastened Caleb into his child seat. “He’s the original gossip girl.”

Lexi chuckled as Bam joined her in the front of the car and she pulled out of the parking space. “So how was your trip?”

“Not bad, just did a few demos and met a few dudes about the CKY videos.” Bam shrugged. “How have you been?”

Lexi sighed. “I don’t know. I’ve not slept much.” She admitted. “I don’t really know where my head’s at.”

“Are you having second thoughts?” he asked quietly, placing a gentle hand on her leg.

“Yes...no...I don’t know.”

“I understand. This is a crazy situation. Who would have thought after all this time we’d end up like this.” Bam squeezed her leg affectionately. “I’m not going to rush you, but I want you to know I am one hundred percent sure that this is what I want and I am gonna do whatever I can to make it work this time.”

Lexi glanced at Bam and smiled. “Thanks.” She peered in the rear view mirror at Caleb who was preoccupied with a picture book. “There is something though...”

“Huh?”

“I want you to be Caleb’s dad. I mean, I know you really are and everything, but I want him to know that. I want him to be able to call you daddy. If you’d like that.” Lexi realised she was jabbering a little but Bam seemed to have gotten the message as he was beaming.

“Really?” His blue eyes were wide and sparkling.

“Really.” She smiled, amused at the look of happiness spreading across his face.

“You know, before you came back, if someone told me I was a dad I would probably have run a mile, but when I found out about Caleb it was strange. I wasn’t freaked out, well I was a little bit, but not as much as I would have expected. It’s almost as if I knew already...”

“You reacted better than I had expected that’s for sure.” She laughed. “I don’t mean to sound horrible or anything, but every day you surprise me, I never thought you’d be this good with him.”

Bam laughed. “I don’t blame you for thinking that. I surprise myself. So when can we tell him?”

“Go ahead.” Lexi said gently, parking up outside a diner.

Lexi walked slowly behind as Caleb and Bam led the way to the diner. Before they got to the entrance Bam scooped Caleb up into his arms and whispered into his ear. Lexi was close enough to see Caleb’s expression change into one of joy as he threw his little arms around Bam’s neck. Bam paused for Lexi to catch up with them.

“Guess what mummy!” Caleb shrieked excitedly.

“What!?” Lexi gasped as he jumped into her arms.

“Bam’s my daddy!”