Immortality Means Never Dying

Mortals

"I'm hungry," Anne Marie stated more than complained. She was the optimist in the group.

"When did we last eat?" I whined to no one in particular. I'm Jane, the pessimistic, depressive nonconformist.

"Two days ago," Stacy said matter-of-factly. She was the brain; she remembered everything that happened to us. Absolutely everything.

"Wow, that's an all time low!" Anne exclaimed. She's a strange one, that Anne. "First we didn't eat for years! Now just days! That's so great!"

"Yeah, it really is," I said sarcastically. "Especially since food gets more expensive by the day. Let's go get jobs! That way all of New York City will know our secret!"

Stacy, Anne Marie and I are immortal. As in we don't die. We simply can't.

"Why are you so sour?" Stacy said, pushing her glasses further up her nose.

"Twenty-first century, Stace," I told her sharply. "Twenty-first century!"

As you can see, I'm not too happy with being centuries old.

"Life's too long to not have fun!" Anne Marie exclaimed, jumping off the couch. She was always saying things like that. I sighed.

The three of us live in a cozy little apartment in New York City. I was already bitter and angry but being back in New York after all these years-

"Marie has a point," Stacy said. I always called Anne Marie 'Anne' and she always called her 'Marie'. "And I'm pretty bored. Let's go out."

"Yey!" Anne said, jumping up and down like the hyper idiot she is.

"Have fun," I said with a sigh. This really is a curse. Life is boring when you know there isn't a possibility it'll end anytime soon.

"You always stay in the house, Jay," Anne Marie said sadly. It took a lot to get her sad.

"I don't wanna go out," I told her, lying down on the couch and resting my head in Stacy's lap.

"We're leaving soon," Stacy said. She was so organized. "We've been in New York too long. But wherever we go next, you're going out to clubs with us."

"Whatever," I said, closing my eyes. Stacy lifted her leg quickly, causing my head to bounce against it. "Fine! I'll party with you next state over!"

"Good," Stacy said. I felt her get up from under me. "Oh, and, if you go out on any of those weird-ass midnight walks, leave a note."

"Uh-huh," I said, not bothering to open my eyes.

"Bye Janey!" Anne said excitedly.

"See you."

I heard the door open and close. After a little while (or a long while...you'd lose track of time, too), I sat up on the couch. I want to die. Being immortal is miserable for me. It's too complicated to explain just how it is that we tripped over this curse. But the point is...we've tried everything. Any physical or mental damage we could. All hopeless.

I decided to go on one of those midnight walks. It's not midnight yet, though. I didn't bother to leave a note. I just stood, put on my sneakers and grabbed the keys.

I went to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I do that a lot. I love the way I look. Long black hair like in those horror movies, I love horror movies; pale skin like the dead, the lucky people that are dead.

I shook my head to get those thoughts out. I don't like thinking like that.

So I left the apartment building. There's a park in New York City, Central Park, which was meant to preserve nature. Damn that. There used to be so much more 'nature'.

We live near Central Park South, where there's a lagoon. It was such a nice summer night. It really was. I walked into the park, knowing it like the back of my hand, and found the lagoon. Where the hell the ducks are, I don't know. I walked up a bridge that was right over the lagoon and sighed. Drowning never worked. We can hold our breath better than any dolphin or whale.

But I jumped in anyway. I climbed to the edge of the bridge and plunged myself into the water, not caring that my keys were in the pocket of my tightly fitting jeans and that my shirt was white. I don't know why I did it. But right before my face hit the water, I could swear I heard someone yell out for me to stop.

I surfaced on the water and looked up. There was a man--well, a boy; just about my age--but, then again, I'd been my age for centuries-- looking over the bridge and standing where I had been standing.

He was breathing erratically. There was a hungry look in his eyes and his mouth hung slightly open. I didn't want to think it, but I did: he was attractive. I could see by the dim street lamp that he had a face as pale as mine, hazel eyes, and dark hair. He had a piercing on his nose, another on his lip and tattoos all over his arms.

"You okay?" he said. What a melodic voice. I noted that he seemed nervous yet eager. And he didn't show his teeth. It was easy to figure people out, at this point.

I decided to toy with the stranger. Have my own kind of fun.

"What's your name?" I yelled up at him, smiling. The lagoon (or is it a pond? A lake? I don't know) was terribly cold but it didn't affect me in anyway. I shivered so that this 'mortal' person could think it did.

"My name's Frank and why the hell did you do that?" He seemed worried. I was amused. I took in a large gasp of air and went back under the water. I thought that if I stayed long enough, terribly gorgeous Frank would think I was dead and would leave to find 'help'.

But, damn, was I wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. Hi ^^ Yes, this story is about vampires. Yeah, it's a bit weird. Yeah, it's a fanfic. Thank you a million times twelve plus three for reading and I like comments =]

<3