Status: Contest.

Rentable Romeo

1/2

There's nothing stressful about being a kid from California. Sunny beaches by day and upscale dance clubs by night. Sunday brunch at a posh hotel and maybe spot a celebrity or three. School is easy and summer romances last all year long. The sun melts our worries away. 

Mhmm. Yeah. That's exactly what it's like. At least, it's that way when I close my eyes and dream. While the beaches and clubs are a staple in the city here, school is far from easy especially when you're the senior class president. And a romance? Well, homosexuality isn't as accepted as it's advertised to be so my love life pretty much sucks. 

It didn't use to but after a bad break up from a good relationship, I'm kind of wary when it comes to dating.

Justin and I really had something special. Personally, I don't really believe that high school relationships last very long after graduation but I thought that on the off chance that it did, Justin would be the one that it'd last with. 

He was a complete gentleman but sometimes he had control issues. He'd over-indulge on popcorn and soda when we went to the movies. He'd push his car dangerously over the speed limit when he craved speed. He'd sometimes push even me too far when he felt incredibly horny. Despite this flaw, I was totally and completely fascinated by him. It wasn't love quite yet and I'm glad it hadn't gotten to that point because my heart would have been far more broken following the break up than it was. 

I can actually remember that moment with unsettling clarity. He had come over unannounced which should have set off alarms because that never happened. His face was composed of nothing but guilt and regret and he asked if I had a second to talk. Of course I was completely oblivious and agreed, sitting on the porch swing and waiting for him to start off the conversation. I trusted him because he had never given me a reason not to.

That's when he took both my hands in his and told me, with all the sorrow in his heart, that he had cheated on me. Kissed another guy without a second thought and actually enjoyed it. He told me he felt horrible about it and would understand if I hated him. And I did. 

I screamed and cried and slapped him before storming inside and sliming the door, sliding down the smooth wood and crying out all of my body's natural fluids. The very next time I talked to him was when I told Justin we were officially over and gave him back all his stuff. 

For days, weeks even, I questioned why I wasn't good enough for him. Why did he cheat on me? What made that other guy so much better? 

Was it my hair? Sure it was unoriginally brown but I styled it greatly. I worked with what I had. Was it my eyes? Personally, I liked them but what if nobody else did? Maybe it was the fact that my ears were stretched around one inch metal circles. Maybe it was this. Maybe it was that. 

It had gotten to the point where there wasn't one trait about myself, physical or not, that I hadn't criticized. My self esteem was at an all time low. But once you're there the only place to go is up. 

My dad helped a lot with that. I think that's the best part about that break up. My dad showed me all these reasons why I deserve better and now I'll never settle for less, even if I'm left questioning the intentions every guy who ever asked me out.

"Levi! Get your head out of the clouds and go shock the shelves!" My manager calls from her position behind the counter. I tear my eyes away from the couple sitting in the window of the coffee shop I work at. The couple who sparked these thoughts in the first place. 

I sigh and nod, offering a weak smile before going to the back and lifting a crate of new mugs, fresh off the truck this morning.

The coffee shop I work at is very popular amongst the locals and hardly ever noticed by tourists. It's that one place you always see in movies. Half the shop is full clusters of round tables and the other half is crowded with mismatch couches, armchairs and coffee tables. The walls are packed with shelves stuffed full of various books and mugs and novelty shirts available for customers to purchase, many of whom actually do. 

The shop itself is very cozy and warm and inviting. It's a place of unity and I love working here. The smell of freshly baked pastries and coffee certainly help.

The little bell over the door rings and I look up to see my best friend, Mia, entering with a pourpose.

Mia is a short girl of only 5' 1" who's eyes are a startling shade of hazel. She's not the skinniest of people but she's far from anyone's standard of fat. Her brown hair falls straight against her back and shoulders but frizzed on those 'bad hair days'. Overall, she's a very pretty girl but probably not magazine worthy nor does she desire to be so, like most of the California girls around here. A lot of people think she's my sister but I definitely don't see it.

She's my best friend and that's all I've ever wanted her to be. In turn, that's all she's ever wanted to be. It's probably the best kind of relationship I've ever been in, second only to that of my dad and I. 

She takes a second to locate me in the shop before strolling over to me with an innocent look on her face, but I know better. Immediately I'm suspicious of what she's here for.

"Hey Mia. What are you doing here?" I ask slowly, carefully shoving a few mugs on the shelf.

"I just have a quick question." She smiles sweetly and looks up at me, batting her mascara coated eyelashes. 

"What's that?" I inquire.

She looks away and folds her hands behind her back before clicking her heels together in an attempt at looking angelic and nonthreatening. "I was just wondering if you were gonna come to Justin's party with me tomorrow or if we're gonna miss the party of the year?"

I freeze and feel my blood pause in my veins, deciding briefly whether to drain out of my body or continue on it's rightful path. Unfortunately, it chooses to continue and leaves me to answer the question at hand. 

"I don't-"

"C'mon, Levi. Please? I'm not going if you don't and I really want to."

"Mia, I don't think it's a good idea. I get that it's a really big party but-"

"Exactly!" She interrupts, spreading her hands wide as if literally showing me her point. "It's a big party. The party of the year! Odds are you won't even see him." 

"Yeah, but it's his party, at his house where we spent a lot of time together before . . . before he cheated on me." I argue.

Her face softens and she nods slowly. "Okay, yeah, I get it. We don't have to go. We can order obscene amounts of Chinese food and watch horror movies."

I smile gratefully but guilt courses through my body. This party has been all everyone's been talking about for the past month and I've been shoving away the thought of attending. Almost the entire school is going and I know Mia was looking forward to it but I also know she seriously won't go if I don't. She's nothing if not loyal. 

Sighing, I place a few more mugs on the shelf and run a hand through my hair. "If I had a date, I think it wouldn't be a problem. Something to show Justin that I really am over him, you know? But the party is tomorrow. That's really short notice for anyone."

Mia smiles an evil devious smile and looks at me with one eyebrow raised. "I have an idea."

I groan in response and return to stocking the shelves. "Judging by that smile, I'm gonna guess that I won't like it so how about you not say it out loud?"

She gives me a look as if questioning my sanity and it's justified. I've never know Mia to keep something to herself. "You get off at seven right?"

"I always do." I confirm.

"That's only half an hour. Go get me my usual and then I'm taking you home. I'm seriously a genius."

I roll my eyes and finish unloading the mugs before making her coffee and handing it to her. The rest of my shift is normal and before long I'm taking off my apron and waving goodbye to my manager.

Mia is overly excited and keeps mentioning this website that she's been dying to use but never really had a reason to. The whole situation is so bizarre and so Mia that I don't ask questions as I follow her to her house and into her room. She switches on her laptop and arrives at a website before I even have the chance to sit down. 

"Here it is," She announces. "Levi, I really am a genius." 

I take the computer from her and immediately shake my head. "No, you're insane."

"No, I'm not. This is perfect. This way we can go to the party and you can show Justin that you're completely over him without having to get into a serious relationship. Everyone wins except the jackass."

I stare at her for a second and see that she really is serious. "You want me to rent a date?"

"Yes."

"No."

"Why not? They're young and attractive and completely ready to accompany you to any place of your choosing! It says so right on the website." Mia exclaims, pointing to the screen where it does indeed say so. 

The page showcases pictures of guys with both girls and boys on what I assume was their 'date'. In all honesty, they all look like they're having a good time but I suppose that could just be clever marketing. There's a list of various events on the side of places where the dates have been. Weddings. Dances. Family reunions. Parties.

I sigh and look at her. "While these guys are undeniably of the most attractive humans I have ever seen, I don't know." 

"Why? This is genius. When have I ever been wrong?" 

I think about this and nod slowly. She really has never been wrong about anything before. "Yeah, I guess. But like, how does this work? I just . . . pick a guy?" 

She claps her hands enthusiastically and takes the laptop from me. "Yeah, exactly. They're really cheap too. You just pick a guy, they text you, and you tell them where to pick you up and where you'll be going. You pay upfront and then pay for everything if you go out for coffee or anything."

I raise an eyebrow and smirk. "You know a lot about this, huh?"

She nods shamelessly. "Like I said, I've been dying to use this for a while. And I think I have the perfect guy for you." 

"So I don't even get to pick my own date?" I laugh.

"Nope." She pops the P and smiles before turning the screen to me where a gorgeous guy stares back at me. "His name is Dakota."

"A perfect name for a perfect guy." I murmur. Mia really has thought a lot about this. 

"The best part is, he's gay too." She smirks.

I roll my eyes and give her permission to 'rent' him. Five minutes later my phone vibrates with a text from Dakota himself.

I ask him to meet me at the coffee shop and tell him our destination before sending him a picture of me so he knows who he's looking for. He says he 'looks forward to meeting me' and that's the end of the conversation for the night.

Excitement takes over the nervousness in my stomach and I can't deny that this was a pretty good idea. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all! :D
I really like this story, actually. Hopefully you will too.
This was originally nearly 4,000 words long so I cut it in half.
This chapter alone is 1983.

Chapter two should be coming up tomorrow :)

Let me know what you think?