Status: Ha

WTF

Max

After I finish with my food, I toss the plate in a garbage bin. I go back to the group to see what they’re doing. Counting them in my head, I notice there’s someone missing. “Hey, where’s that loud guy at?”

The boy my age shrugs, “In the restroom?”

I curse under my breath, but it sounds more like I’m half yelling. “I don’t want you all stealing my shit.”

I start with the restrooms first, but no one’s there. Without thinking of it, my hand goes through my hair. Okay, he’s probably lost…Not.

Looking thoroughly on each level, I find nothing from the man’s traces. Since I’ve arrived, the place museum has gotten dirtier. I can’t tell if he’s passed through anywhere. It’s in the back of my mind, the thought of knowing where he can be. With my luck, he’s sticking his nose around in the lower level. I make a small sound at the back of my throat and start moving at a snail’s pace toward the elevators.

I keep my private objects in the basement, where I don’t have to accidentally see something that would remind me of the labs. There are things I want to forget, that I want to erase from existence, but I know I can’t.

I step out of the elevator and see the worn-out collar. Engraved in the metal front is ‘Case 4’. The last time I saw it was on the first day I arrived here. I was unable to break it with full strength and I was going to cry until I couldn’t shed a single drop. I found a hard rock and smashed it open before I started to tear up.

There’s something else I keep hidden here. Something I never thought I would care for.

The sound of a gun cocking echoes in the semi-empty room. I bring my attention to the previously missing man. He’s not aiming at me, but at the what’s left of my former friend. Damn, I should have checked if they were armed.

“Wait, uhh,” I muster out.

“It’s Sean.”

“That’s a friendly zombie. Say hi, Max.”

Said zombie moans out an answer. He moves closer to Sean, but his chains don’t reach. Sean says, “Yeah, okay,” before aiming to shoot Max.

With the strength of a woman at Black Friday, I tackle him. He grunts, “What’s wrong with you, lady?”

I answer him by holding him down as he tries to get up. Max is moaning loudly and biting at air. I pin his arms to his side and say, “I’m warning you, don’t hurt Max.”

He struggles in my hold, getting squirmier as Max tries to reach for him. “Okay,” he begrudgingly says, “I won’t kill your pet. Now get off me!”

I release him, and he shoves me away. He stands up and I watch him leave towards the elevator.