Status: Ha

WTF

Great Hospitality

I remember Max once telling me that life was precious. He would say a lot of things, but I think that was the only time he was ever wrong. All humans consider themselves as the most important life forms in the universe. They think they’re better than everybody else. Does anyone cry or even care when, an ant gets stepped on? Or when an animal gets killed for no apparent reason? They say, ‘We’re all considered equal.’ But they also say, ‘Humans are at the top of the food chain because we’re smarter.’ What’ll happen when a stronger and smarter species arrive? People won’t suddenly start to think that they’re apex predators anymore. They would want to drag the species below them, so they can continue being equal.

I shake my head of these thoughts. It’s time to wreak havoc against the humans, just like any normal person that wants to run away from their past. But then I see Max with his foggy eyes and his purplish skin, causing my eyes to tear up. I remember that he had gave me a chance and I took it. When I was in trouble he came to be my friend and even fulfill our promise. Why not give humanity a second chance? I try to come up with a warning to tell them.

When I tell the humans what I think, I can read their discomfort. In return, it causes me to feel awkward. It’s still hard for me to understand human nature and I think I might have made the wrong choice. I shift my weight from my left leg to the right. No one has said anything- I don’t think anyone is going to say anything. I head to the so-called living room I made and start watching a film.

The young mother comes to me while I’m watching halfway through it. I don’t think she will say anything, but I hear her small voice. “U-uhm.” I turn off the box T.V., giving her my full attention. “I’ve run out of diapers, but I can manage if I go to a restroom. C-can you tell me where one’s at?” she stammers.

I stare at her face for a moment, surprised that she really talked to me. I get up from the plastic chair and tell her to follow me. She follows me to my so-called storage room. It is supposed to be an art room, but I’ve added any valuables I could find. There are a few paintings that managed to stay on the walls. Most of them were on the floor, under piles of storage. Sculptures, paintings, and other art work are set at a corner. We pass by a worn-out couch. I dragged it here, so I could sleep comfortably.

The books that I took from the library at the end of the road are stacked everywhere on the floor. The guns are scattered haphazardly on top of the books. We reach the public restroom and I say, “I have some diapers in there.” There are other things inside, besides diapers. I have some soap, a bunch of bags, and an untouched first aid kit. I hand Emma a package of diapers. She says a polite thank you and begins to change the child there. My nose scrunches up from the smell. I start to leave, but she stops me, “Thank you so much.”

“It’s not a problem, uh… “

“My name’s Emma,” she says with a smile. Holding up her unsoiled baby, she adds, “and this is Gracie.”

-------------

On the next morning, I’m back to watching movies. Today marks exactly two weeks from the start of the zombie apocalypse. My mouth tastes wrong. I cup a hand over my mouth to smell my breath. It smells like death. I’m killing for a toothbrush. I can find diapers everywhere but not a single toothbrush.