Status: Coming back to this!

Prince S.

prologue

The dark is only illuminated by the soft glow of moonlight as it grazes the surface of every item in the room. I sit alone at my stool, looking over my features in the large mirror; my very feminine features. Soft, round blue eyes that extend into strong, healthy black eyelashes. Gentle rosy cheeks and long, flawless black hair. These are the features of a woman, a girl, a princess. But I am none of the above. At least not on the inside.

Every time I look in the mirror I feel my lips transform into a scowl and I feel like the bile positioned in the back of my throat is ready to meet the surface. Even the mirror itself makes me sick. It's supposed to be used for putting on make up to make a girl like me pretty. There is that word again, I frown and stand. I pace back and forth for a moment or two, trying to ease my anger.

Sadly, I know that this whole charade of being a lady must end as soon as I wake. I quietly return to my bed and wait for sleep to claim. A few short moments later, it does and I sleep easy. When I open my eyes and let my servants dress me, they lead me down the ever so cliche spiral staircase and down to the large waiting quarters. I sigh as I wait for my breakfast to be prepared, taping each of my fingers against the polished wood. Servant after servant pass by me, though none look at me. They're very aware that on these sort of days that I am not to be bothered by much.

"Breakfast is served," says a meek servant girl as she peeks her head around the corner to alert me. I make my way to the kitchen and take a seat at the ridiculously large table. It must seat at least fifteen, though only three ever eat here. A plate filled with eggs, bacon, and pancakes is placed in front of me and I start picking at my food. It's maybe ten minutes later when my parents arrive.

"Good morning, Amelia," says my mother as she takes her seat near me. This morning her black hair is pinned up in a bun with large curls hanging down the side. Her beautiful hair is fringed with gray after years of life and happiness. Her once flawless skin is now wrinkly and she has small bags under her beautiful brown eyes. Queen Theresa to everyone else; Mother to me.

I nod, but my father notices. He makes a gruff noise as he sits down, letting his blue eyes graze over me. They linger on me for longer than usual. My father has always been sympathetic to what I feel, but there was nothing he could do for me; nothing he could do that his kingdom would approve of. He bites his lip as he makes his decision. "Amelia, is it time?"

"Time for what, father?" I ask with innocent eyes.

"Time for Amelia to disappear forever." I consider all my options. Whether or not I really want to or not. I've known the answer all along, but I drag out the waiting to show my father my thoughts aren't rash and in-the-moment.

"Yes. It's time for Amelia to disappear and time for Sebastian to take her place."