Status: Trying To Update Weekly. x]

Refused and Abandoned

Making Some Progress

I bit my lip, staring blankly at the hundreds of urns that laid out in front of me, all fitting in a hole. With the mass amount of bodies to bury, we couldn't make enough coffins for everyone and their was too much work in trying to bury almost 300 people. So I agreed to have everyone cremated, save for my family, who was put into coffins and now laying in their own crypt back where my, or rather, my old pack used to reside.

Tomorrow morning, Jake, Elle, Sean, Jet and i would head on back to give them a proper ceremony. But for now, I needed to focus on now.

"Hey...Alex?"

I blinked, turning to look up at Jet. "...Yes?" I asked, slightly weary of his presence. He sighed, sitting next to me on the ground.

"Are you okay?"

I snorted, rolling my eyes before I crossed my arms over my chest. "Of course I am. I just love coming to the funeral of my entire pack."

He chuckled before he nervously wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me in for a hug.

"I know. Stupid question."

I was torn at that moment as Jet's arms were wrapped around me. Half of me just wanted to rip his arms off of me, still bitter about his rejection. However, the other half wanted me to just savor the moment, enjoy the feel of my mate's arm around me, comforting me. My wolf was also fighting with me at that moment. It was obvious what she wanted me to do.

I sighed, very slowly easing my tense form and hugged him back. We sat there for what seemed like hours, just wrapped in each other's arms without a word being said.

But moments like these can't last forever.

"Jet! Alex!" I turned to see Patty, Nathan, and their daughter making their way towards us, Nathan waving to us. I pulled away from Jet, ignoring the stab of relief and disappointment, and got up, dusting myself off before I faced the small family.

"Hi Nathan, Patty...um..." I trailed off, realizing I never got her name.

The red-haired girl smiled awkwardly at me. "Sorry. I never introduced myself to you. I'm Jaz."

I smiled back at her. "I'm Alex, but you probably already know that."

She nodded her head, but stayed silent. After a few moments of awkward silence, Nathan coughed, bringing the attention to him.

"Well, we better start getting into positions. Everyone's starting to come and the ceremony's about to start." I nodded my head as I stood up, closing my eyes as my heart swelled painfully, filling my eyes with the salty liquid. A warm hand gently held my head and pulled me forward, letting my face rest against a clothed chest, Jet's scent filling my nose.

I let myself be weak.

I heard footsteps start to fade away as I stayed wrapped in Jet's embrace, letting my tears go while also trying to control my breathing so I don't start sobbing hysterically. After about ten minutes of trying to compose myself, I finally succeeded and I pulled away from Jet, taking in several deep breaths as I wiped away the last trace of tears away.

"Thanks," I told him as I stood there, only a few inches away from him. He nodded his head, not saying anything as he took my hand and led me to my spot next to his dad. I didn't say a word or try to resist. Soon, I was standing right in front of the hole filled with urns, facing the huge crowd in front of me as Jet stood at my left and Jake at my right.

I felt like i was just in a daze as Jake droned on and on. I could only concentrate on the warmth I felt on the small of my back, curtesy of Jet's hand.

"Alex?"

I sighed, clearing my throat before I opened my mouth. "Hey," i said cringing as my voice cracked. I shook my head, coughing before I smiled. "sorry. Um, I ... I don't really know what to say. My old pack will never be forgotten. I ... I loved each and everyone of them ... and ... ever since their death, I keep wishing that I'm just in some sort of sick nightmare. But, I know it's not true. But the pain's a lot more ... bearable ... because of people here. I can't count the number of times when I would want to cry and just give up living, but then I'd find another reason to keep on living." I paused, shaking my head to stop my rambling. "Sorry. But overall, I just want to say thank you to all of you here and to my e-pack, i want to say that i love you and I'll miss you."

I stepped down and walked away, a low murmur coming from the pack. But at that moment, I didn't care. I just wanted to be alone.

But I guess fate didn't want that.

"Alex."

I sighed, not even bothering to look at Jet or slow down. "Leave me alone. I'm not in the mood to talk."

"You just gave a speech about how you actually wanted to die and you expect me to let you walk by yourself."

I groaned, blowing my hair out of my face before I turned around, pointing a finger at Jet's chest. "You, of all people, don't have a right to tell me that. You rejected me. You made me want to die first. So if anything, I should stay away from you."

He growled, quickly reaching up to grab my arm. "Listen. You never heard my end of the story-"

"And what!" I yelled, tears filling up my eyes. "Did you ever stop to ask me how iI was doing once you left my birthday party? Did you bother to even talk to me about it before you decided? No. You just chose to come to me and tell me that you reject me without even giving me a chance to be happy that I get to be with my mate. So no, I don't need to hear your end of the story."

With that, I yanked my arm away from him and turned on my heel, relief and disappointment filling me when Jet didn't follow me.