Perfect Timing

Ni

“Lindsey,” A voice cooed in my ear, along with a gentle shake. “Get up.”

“No.” I moaned, groggily. “I'm....tirmphed.”

“Lindsey, what have you been doing last night?”

“I was at the gygh dnmg ma excsnig.” My barely understandable words came out in a strained slur.

“You know you're kinda cute when you're tired,” I felt lips press against my forehead. “But, seriously, get up. You got a job, remember?”

“What time.”

“It's already ten, you've got half an hour to get ready.” Instantly, this got me springing out of bed. I wiped away messy bangs away from my forehead and stared at him, now at full attention.

“Shit!” I ran into my closet, tossing out shirt after shirt, trying to find my uniform. “How am I supposed to get there on time?”

“I'll break the law again for you.” My boyfriend, Dave, gave me a grin and pecked my lips. “Oh sorry, am I distracting you?”

“Yes you idiot!” I smacked his shoulder.

“Ouch, that actually hurt this time.” He rubbed his shoulder. “You gotten a lot stronger. I think I might actually get a bruise.”

“Thanks.” I held up the purple shirt from the pile of laundry. “Found it!”

“So after work, you wanna go get dinner?”

“We can't, remember?” I frowned, slipping out of my old t-shirt and changing into my purple Taco Bell polo shirt. “

“Why not?”

“We have another job, remember? There's a band coming to the venue tonight.”

“God! I completely forgot!” There was a look of true disappointment in his eyes. What band is it?”

“Don't remember.”

“Well, at least we'll be together.” He winked, taking my hand.

“Right.” I murmured, now only half listening.

“What's the matter?”

“Nothing, let's go.” I replied flatly, walking hastily out the door.

Xxx

“Wait!” There was a loud screech of the brake and the car jerked to a sudden stop. Dave whipped his head towards me, sweat running down his forehead.

“A little warning next time!?” He yelled.

“Sorry, but,” I motioned my head towards Amoeba Music. “Can I?”

“Lindsey,” Dave sighed. “You're going to be late for work.”

“Please, please!” I begged. “I'll only be in there for a second! I just gotta check if they have any Nirvana vinyls! I'm missing 'In Utero!' Please!”

“Lindsey, you're on a tight budget right now. As a good boyfriend, I'm supposed to stop you.”

“But, but - “ I stuck my bottom lip out and widened my eyes, hoping it would work on my semi-gullible boyfriend. He kept a straight face for a minute, before groaning. He unlocked the car door and I smiled.

“I'm only giving you a minute. Anything more than that, I'm coming inside to get you, alright?”

“Yeah, yeah!” I waved him away and ran inside the store. It wasn't as packed since it was mid-morning, but he still had some people. A couple stared at my uniform, but I ignored them and headed straight to the N section of the store. I scanned record and record, but I saw no “In Utero.” I moaned loudly, and unknowingly gained the attention of the person behind me.

“You sound disappointed.” A man's voice mused.

“They don't have what I'm looking for.”

“That's too bad.” The man turned around and gave me a small smile. He was actually pretty cute, with that black beanie covering his head except for a few loose brown curls. There was a mole underneath his right eye and a few hairs on his face. His leather jacket gave off a distinctive smell, but it wasn't tacky, because it looked so good on him. “What were you looking for?”

“Oh um, Nirvana. In Utero.”

“Nirvana, huh? They're pretty good. Sorry, you couldn't find the vinyl. I did see the CD earlier, if you're interested.”

“That's okay, already got it.” I nodded and stared at the necklaces hanging from his neck. “How about you? Are you looking for anything specific?”

“Not in particular.” He pressed his lips lightly. “I'm just looking around. They don't have a store like this where I live.”

“Where do you live?”

“Las Vegas, Nevada.”

“Wow! I've always wanted to go there!”

“It's pretty cool for a tourist.” He chuckled. “I've seen it all, so I'm not surprised.”

“And how are you enjoying San Francisco?”

“It's alright.” He shrugged.

“Alright?” I echoed.

He grinned, “I've been here before you know.”

“What are you here for, if it's not a vacation? Family?”

“Well - “ Suddenly, the vocals of Kurt Cobain's voice interrupted our conversation. I stood there dumbly for a second, while the man rocked back and forth on his heels, giving me a slightly awkward smile. “Aren't you going to answer that?”

“Oh right!” I dug from my phone from my pocket. “Do you mind?”

“Take your time.”

“Thanks.” I clicked the answer button and pressed the phone to my ear. “Hello?”

“Lindsey, it's been a minute. Are you paying for the vinyl already?”

“I didn't find it.” I sighed.

“Then why are you still over there for? Come outside.”

“Okay, sorry. I'll be outside in a bit.” I hung up and looked at the man who waited for me patiently. “Sorry, I have to go.”

“To work?”

I looked down at my uniform and grinned. “Lucky guess.”

“It was nice meeting you.”

“You too!” I cried over my shoulder as I quickly hurried out of the store.

"You said that if you didn't find it, you'd walk straight out. What were you doing in there?" Dave questioned me, with a suspicious look on his face.

"You worry about me too much."

"I have to. You're just too cute that I'm afraid someone's gonna steal you away from me."

I laughed and turned up the radio. Foo fighters was playing.

It was just when we were halfway down the block, that I realized I forgot to ask for the kind man's name.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haven't updated this story in a while! Hope you like it! :D
Sorry for the rushed ending :x