Precious Love

Two

Craig had woken up a few times during the night when he thought he heard something, but it turned out to be his sister. His sister was crying in the guest room where she slept when she stayed over. Usually when she babysat, she would stay over, but on family dinners she was fine to go home. But with all the emotions that she let out that night, Craig had insisted that she just stay the night. What he didn't want to hear was how much his sister was hurting, all of her crying made Craig upset and he knew that he'd be going in early for practice to have a talk with his captain.

Before leaving the house, Craig checked in on his sleeping sister who was finally asleep. Making his way downstairs, his wife Anne was a little surprised to see him up and ready to leave already. “Exciting day yesterday.”

“I wouldn't call it exciting,” Craig said. “Sutton is pregnant and in school. She has no plans and no way to support herself right now.”

“She has a part time job and is going to school full time,” Anne reminded him. “You can't interfere with this. Sutton needs to talk to Sidney and together they have to figure out what they want to do. This is their future and the future of their baby.”

“She's my baby sister.” Craig stated.

“And he's your friend and team captain,” she said handing him a cup of coffee. “They are young and made a mistake. It takes two to make a baby, so you know Sutton is just as much to blame as Sidney is.”

“I think when her due date gets closer, I think it would be better if she moved in here. She's gonna need help and we know what to do and we can help her while she finishes school.”

“I think that would be a good idea,” Anne said, “And it'll be something to bring up to her. We don't know what will happen with her and Sidney. We can't assume anything.”

“Make sure Rhys doesn't wake her up,” Craig said. “I heard her crying most of the night. She needs some sleep.”

Leaning up and giving her husband a quick kiss. “I'll make sure she gets plenty of rest. Is there a reason you are leaving so early today?”

“I think I'm going to have a little talk with Crosby,” he told her as he leaned down once more and gave her another kiss. “I love you.”

Leaving the house, Craig tossed his bag into his car before heading to practice. He knew his baby sister was hurting and he wanted to make it better but he wasn't the one that could do that. Sutton was always smart about relationships and partying and he knew that she hadn't meant for this to happen, but it did. Not only did it affect herself and Crosby, but it affect him as well. He would worry and there was no use in her telling him not to because that was his job, to worry over his sister.

Releasing the long sigh, he saw Crosby's Range Rover parked in the usual spot. Getting out of his car he grabbed his bag and made his way inside the rink. Getting dressed, there was no one around, but Sidney's stuff was already in his locker which meant that he was probably on the ice already. Heading to the ice, that's when he finally saw his captain shooting pucks into an empty net. He was glad that there was no one else around. He didn't want everyone to know that Sidney had gotten his baby sister pregnant. Skating onto the ice Craig stopped a few feet away from Sidney, not sure how this conversation would end up going.

“I think we need to talk.”

“I don't think so Craig,” Sidney said as he shook his head as he lined up another shot. “I think right now that's between me and your sister.”

“Now that I know about it Crosby, I'm involved too.”

“Fine! What do you want from me? I didn't want this anymore than Sutton did.”

“You slept with my sister!”

“What do you want me to do Adams? Deny it? Yes, I slept with her. I like her.”

“I asked you to look out for her, not get her pregnant!” he said raising his voice. “Do you have any idea that she's thought about moving back in with our parents? That she is scared shitless right now? She cried herself to sleep last night and she woke up a few times and the crying continued. Do you know what it's like to listen to someone cry themselves to sleep and you can't do anything about it to make it better?”

Sid stopped shooting pucks and turned toward his older teammate. “Craig, I'm sure you're pissed off right now. I don't even blame you, but I'm no happier about this than she is. I don't need this anymore than she does. But I'll tell you one thing, I won't shirk my responsibility and if she let's me, I'll be there for her. She's gonna have to let me be there for her.”

“Show her Sid, don't let her run,” Craig said taking off his helmet and running a hand through his hair. “I want her to stay, to finish school. But I need to know what you plan on doing? Are you gonna admit it to the world or hide my sister away like you are ashamed of her?”

“I honestly don't know. I haven't talked to my agent or my parents. I haven't told Mario. Christ – I haven't even talked to her about it, not rationally. What does she want? Maybe she'd hate being in the spotlight. Maybe she'd rather keep the baby a secret. That's something we're going to have to work out. Not you and me Craig. Me and Sutton.”

“Look, she's gonna be at my place tonight. Rhys will go down around 8:30 and then she will be free to talk to you, in person. Not over the phone. You need to get it through to her that all this stuff that is happening, you aren't going to bail. She doesn't need something like that.”

“I'll be there, but Craig, you're gonna have to pave the way. Make sure she understands that we are in this together. I'm not against her on this.”

“Her defenses are up. When she gets scared, she puts them up and they are high. I'm not asking you to marry her, but she needs to see that this won't end badly.”

“And all I'm asking Craig, is for you to put in a good word for me.”

Nodding his head Craig knew that Sid was a good guy and although neither of them had any idea that this would be the result of one night, they did need to have a talk about their future. He trusted Sidney to take care of his nephew or niece that would be spoiled by him. He had to chuckle at the thought. When he thought of Sutton having a family, he pictured her in a relationship or even married to someone, but he sure didn't think that it would be someone on his team. Sidney did say that he liked her so maybe there was a little hope that they would be able to have a future together. After practice ended and he had showered and changed, Craig walked over to where Sidney was getting dressed.

“Make sure you come no later than nine otherwise she won't bother to answer the door. Knock though, you don't want Rhys waking up.”

Looking into the eyes of his teammate, Sidney nodded his head. “You'll talk to her before you leave?”

“I'm going to bring her some food and talk to her,” Craig smiled. “Show her that you are serious or she'll back out and head for the hills.”

“I'm going to tell Mario and then tomorrow I'll talk to my parents. I know they won't be thrilled, but they really can't do much about it.”

“You'll be alright,” Craig told him. “I think Anne is going to have Sutton go to her doctor. He'll work with our schedule so that you won't miss a lot.”

“A lot?”

“There will be somethings you are bound to miss,” he said softly so no one else could hear him. “But the major things you'll be there for. Look at the schedule, there will be no way for you to be at every appointment but Sutton will understand it. She won't be upset about it.”

“Thanks.”

Nodding his head, Craig left the locker room, hoping that Sidney would understand that life might not let him be at every appointment with Sutton, but it didn't mean that he didn't care. Sidney was the face of the NHL and as such, he had a busy life. Sutton was a student and didn't have much of a life, but that was about to change. Once she had the baby, the baby would become her number one and everything else would be a backseat, but he really hoped that she would finish school so that it wouldn't be as hard as it would after the baby came.

After getting dressed, Sidney made his way to Mario's office. He knew by telling Mario that there would be no hiding this, not that he was planning on hiding Sutton or the fact that they were expecting. He had seen Sutton so many times with Craig and his son Rhys would also attach himself to her. She had never been over friendly to any of the guys, but he knew that Jordan had spent more time around her. He was after all dating her roommate.

Knocking on the door, Sidney waited for Mario to say something to indicate that he could come inside. When he did, Sidney all of a sudden felt extremely nervous. Walking inside, he sat down in front of the desk Mario was sitting behind.

“I need to tell you something before everyone else knows.”

“What is it Sid? You don't look good. You weren't hurt at practice were you?”

“No, I'm fine,” Sidney said twisting the cap on the bottle of water in his hands. “I had a one night with someone and she's pregnant.”

“Sidney, please tell me you're joking right now,” Mario said. “If this is your idea of a joke, it's not funny.”

With a long sigh, he looked at Mario. “No joke. She's pregnant.”

Mario ran his hand through his hair and leaned back in his chair. “Who is this girl Sid? How well do you know her?”

“Her name is Sutton. Sutton Adams.”

“Adams? As in Craig's sister?”

“Yeah,” Sidney confirmed. “His little sister. She goes to school out here.”

“Christ Sid. I thought you knew better than this. I thought....Well there's no point in all that I guess. Have you told your parents? Have you talked to the girl? Have any semblance of a plan, because we're gonna have to get PR involved real soon.”

“No I haven't told them yet,” Sidney said as he ran a hand through his hair. “We haven't talked long term yet or anything. I' going to see her tonight at Craig's place.”

“You do that Sid. Talk to her, then come back and we'll get PR involved. We don't want this to leak out before they have your story in order.”

Sid nodded feeling Mario's disappointment. Getting up and heading towards the door Sidney knew what he had to do. “Oh and Sid...” Turning around, Sidney looked at Mario once again. “...try and get her to stay quiet as long as possible.”

“I don't think she'll tell anyone.”

“Well just make sure of it, Sid. You have to make sure you can trust this girl. You have a lot at stake here.”

“I know,” Sidney said. “Craig said that she's thinking of moving. About going back home.”

“The question is, what do you want? Talk to her. Work things through with her. Then we'll talk more. Good luck Sid.”

“Thanks.”

Leaving Mario's office, Sidney knew he had to figure out what it was that he wanted before going over there tonight and talking to Sutton. She couldn't be the only one to make the decisions, especially when it came to his baby; their baby.

Walking into his house, Craig Adams headed to where he heard the TV playing one of Rhys shows. As he approached the living room, he saw Sutton and Rhys snuggled under the couch blanket sound asleep. Rhys hadn't been feeling good lately, so he was glad that Sutton could get him to get some extra rest. Her body was trying to adjust to the fact that she was pregnant and the changes were making her extra tired.

Setting the food on the table, he watched as Rhys slept peacefully snuggled into his aunt's side. Sutton might not think that she's ready to be someone's mother, but she was a natural. At least in his opinion and he knew that had to count for something. Taking out his phone, Craig snapped a quick picture on his phone before he took Rhys up to his own room to finish his nap. As he headed down the stairs, Craig noticed that Sutton was awake and sitting up.

“Hey, sleeping beauty,” Craig said. “I hope you are hungry because I bought us some lunch. Chinese.”

With a small smiled, Sutton wrapped the blanket with the Penguins logo on it around herself as Craig brought the food into the room. “Special occasion?”

“More like a bribe to get you to talk to me.”

“I haven't ever ignored you,” Sutton said. “Well at least since I moved out here.”

“Nice catch,” Craig smiled as he sat down next to his sister. “I want to talk to you about this whole baby thing.”

“I don't expect you to help,” Sutton confided. “I know it was my screw up and I have to face the consequences and I will do my best.”

“Will you knock it off already?” Craig asked. “Sutton, you are my baby sister and you know I love you, but stop trying to do everything by yourself. You weren't the only one that got you into this. Sidney did his part.”

“I can't believe I freaked out when I told him. He probably thinks that I’m some psycho or something.”

“He doesn't,” Craig said as he looked at her. “I talked to him about the situation.”

“What? Why?” Sutton whined. “He is gonna think that I'm a baby and I need my big brother to fight my battles and what not. Why would you do that?”

“Because you are my baby sister and I care about you and my nephew or niece,” he told her. “Things aren't gonna be easy for you, you have to know this.”

“It isn't everyday that Sidney Crosby is becoming a father.”

“Yeah,” Craig sighed. “Sutton....”

“I know how he's supposed to be this perfect guy and yeah, he's a great guy. He's sweet and nice and he cares,” Sutton said. “But I won't marry him just because I'm pregnant. Marriages that are based on the fact that the couple are having a baby, they just have no foundation to last. I won't do it.”

“I'm not asking you to marry him,” Craig told her. “But I think that you need to give him a chance to be there for you and for the baby. It isn't just yours and you aren't the only one that doesn't know what they are doing. Sid is clueless about this. All he knows is hockey, he lives and breathes it. But don't shun him because you aren't sure of things.”

“But...”

“No Sutton,” he told her. “This is his baby as well. You might have to carry it around but he wants to be there for you and for the baby. Give him the chance to show you what he wants.”

“I don't want to be disappointed,” Sutton said. “I don't want him to one day decide he doesn't want to be a father. I can't live with him and I know that Bianca and Jordan want to move in together, but where does that leave me? I can't afford the baby and the apartment on my part time salary.”

“What about-”

“If you even mention letting Sidney pay for the other half or the whole rent you are nuts,” Sutton told her brother. “And I can't move into the Lemeiux household.”

“If you would listen instead of interrupting me,” Craig said throwing her a playful glare. “I want you to move in here when you feel ready. Anne can help you out with things you might need. You'll need the support.”

“There has to be a catch.”

“There is,” Craig admitted. “I don't want you to pay rent and I want you to talk to Sidney. Tonight.”

“Tonight?” Sutton asked, a little confused. “You and Anne are going out tonight. I will be watching your son. I can't talk to him....Unless you told him that it was okay for him to come over.”

“I did. And he'll be here after Rhys goes to bed so there won't be any interruptions.”

“Craig....”

“Trust me on this,” he said. “Talk to him. Please.”

With a long sigh, Sutton nodded her head in agreement. “Okay.”

Leaning over and kissing the top of her head, Craig smiled. “Thank you Sutton. And we do want you to move in here with us.”

“I'll talk to Bianca and see what's going on,” Sutton said. “But-”

“No, not buts,” Craig told her. “You have your own room and bathroom already. And the baby can have the room next to you. I'll even let you decorate the room to how you want it.”

“What about paint?”

“Pick the color,” he said. “And you can relax while Sidney and I paint the room and put furniture together.”

“Thanks Craig,” Sutton said as she put her food on the table in front of them and leaned over and rested her head on his shoulder. “Do you think everything will work out? With me and the baby?”

“I think once you get it through your head that Sidney isn't like the others,” Craig said wrapping his arm around his sister and bringing her closer to him so that he could hug her. “Then things will work out for the better. At least we know you aren't some gold digger that is only after his money.”

“Has that been an issue before?” Sutton asked.

“No one claiming to be pregnant with his baby,” he clarified. “Just these girls wanting to sleep with him and whatnot.”

“I guess that would make it hard to figure out who you can trust and what not,” Sutton said. “Does he think I'm making it up? Maybe he thinks that the baby isn't his...”

“He wouldn't go to talk to Mario after practice if he didn't believe you,”

“He did?” she asked, the surprise evident in his voice.

“Yeah, he did,” Craig told her. “Did you tell mom and dad?”

“They are in shock and kinda told me that you would have never done this and if I had been living with you it would never had happened.”

“So basically, what you are telling me is that you are only pregnant because you weren't living under my roof?” Craig asked, with a hint of laughter in his voice. “I'm sure that had the two of you wanted to have sex, you would have found a way.”

“When is he coming over?”

“I told him Rhys bedtime, so around then.”

Nodding her head, Sutton understood how important talking with Sidney would be. She had been irrational when she had first told him about the baby, but hearing that he was talking to Mario about the fact that he was going to be a dad, well it meant he was serious. He wasn't denying that he was the father, he was letting those who needed to know most about what was going on. Sutton did wonder if he told his parents or if he was going to wait until they were out here watching him play to let them know.

Later that night, Sutton was alone in the house with Rhys because Craig and Anne went on a date and wouldn't be back until late. Since her nephew had been good, Sutton let him watch a movie in the living room with her. Currently, she was starting to fall asleep, but she moved to get up and that was when she heard a soft knock on the door. Leaving Rhys sleeping on the couch, she went to the door and saw that it was Sidney. “Uhh...hi. I wasn't expecting you until later.”

“I know,” Sidney smiled. “I thought that you might be hungry so I brought over food from Walnut Grill.”

“You didn't have to do that.” Sutton told him as she opened the door wider to let him inside.

“I know,” he said. “But I wanted to.”

Closing the door behind him, Sutton walked over to where her nephew lay sleeping and carefully picked him up. “I'll be back in a few. I just need to put him to bed and change his clothes.”

“I'll set the food up,” Sidney told her. “I know where the kitchen is.”

With a smile on her face, Sutton carried Rhys up the stairs and into his room. Laying him down in his bed, she walked out of the room and into the bathroom where she grabbed a washcloth and ran it under luke warm water. Walking back into the room, Sutton cleaned the food off his face and the dirt from his hands. Changing him from the messy pajamas to a pair of clean ones, Sutton tucked him into bed before kissing his head. Grabbing the clothes and washcloth, she placed the dirty clothes into the hamper and headed for the door.

Jumping back in surprise, Sutton put her hand over her heart. Leaving the door cracked open so she could hear if something were wrong. “You scared me.” Sutton said in a hushed whisper as they started walking back to the staircase.

“You are gonna be a great mom.”

“Why do you say that?” Sutton asked him as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

“Just how you were with your nephew,” Sidney told her. “You just seem like a natural.”

“All it really is,” Sutton said as she sat on the couch. “Is experience. When he was first born I had no idea what I was doing.”

Grabbing a plate off the table, Sidney handed her a plate before taking his own and sitting next to her. “So we really should talk about what happens next and whatnot.”

“I'm sorry,” Sutton said looking at Sidney. “I never meant to have a freak out when I told you about the baby.”

“I think we both were on edge that day,” Sidney said. “I told Mario Lemeiux about the baby today. I also called my parents and told them.”

“And how did that go?” Sutton asked as she took a bite of her salmon.

“Mario was disappointed and he wants to know our plans so that he can deal with the media and what not. I don't think I’ve ever seen him this disappointed in me before,” Sidney said. “My parents were difficult to tell.”

“How so?”

“My mom was shocked that I let this happen and then she was supportive. My dad was quiet and I don't know how he really feels about it. I would guess he is disappointed in what I did.”

“Try to have a life?” Sutton asked.

Laughing Sidney watched as she placed her plate on the table in front of them. “Something like that.”

“Craig obviously knows, Bianca knows and when I told my parents I basically got the you messed up so get yourself out of it speech. I just didn't tell them it was yours.”

“So what do you want to do?”

“Bianca and I are moving out of the apartment,” Sutton told him. “She and Jordan are moving in together so we are both moving out of the apartment. I can't afford it by myself.”

“If you need-”

“I don't want you to pay for my apartment,” Sutton told him. “I'm moving back in here.”

“I want to help.”

“We might be having a baby together, Sidney, that doesn't mean I'm going to take advantage of you. I have a part time job at a little boutique and I go to school full time. I'll figure something out.”

“You don't have to do this on your own,” he told her placing his own plate on top of hers. “We both had a part in this. I just want to know how you want to do this.”

“I don't know what you want me to say,” Sutton said. “I'm kinda just going day by day right now.”

“We have a lot to figure out. Not just where you're going to live but other things like what we tell the press if anything. You need to help me make that decision. I hate to do this to you, but you need to understand how much your life is going to change if we do tell them.”

“No matter what, my life is going to change and even if I stay hidden away, what happens when the baby is born? Are we supposed to hide it away? I might not be in love with you, but I don't think that hiding this will do anyone any good.”

“Okay that's fair, but I want to make sure you understand what it means to come out with this. You're going to have reporters at your door. People will recognize you. Some people will be gracious, but there will be others.” His eyes dropped to the floor. “Others will say things, horrible things about you. Things that are untrue. I just need to make sure you're ready for what will happen. Telling everyone means more than just the changes that come with caring for a baby.”

“Do we have a choice? If we want to be honest with everyone, we shouldn't have to hide this like we are ashamed. We made a mistake and now we are doing what we have to. I'll come out with it, if you promise me something,” Sutton said. “Promise me that I won't be doing this alone.”

“You will never be alone in this,” Sidney promised as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his body and just held her. “I promise I will be there for you and for our baby.”

Late in the night, Craig and his wife came home to the TV being off. On more than one occasion Sutton had fallen asleep with it on downstairs. Making his way upstairs, Craig checked on his son and found him fast asleep in his bed. Moving down the hall, he opened Sutton's door a bit wider and found her sleeping, but she wasn't alone in the bed. Sidney was asleep next to her. Closing the door behind him, he hoped that everything would work out for both of their sakes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So not many comments on this, but I like the idea, so hopefully if I keep posting more comments will come.

Let me know what you think and have a great weekend!!!