Baby Shadows

The Nightmare Begins

“Don’t,” she whimpered, wriggling unhappily under his hand.

“Keep still,” he grunted. When she ignored him, he slapped her. The harsh sound seemed to echo all around her, and ring in her ears. She instantly became silent, staring up at the man she now called Dad. They stood in silence for some moments, staring at each other, Frank visibly seething, Annie inwardly terrified, though trying not to show it, a state she’d become used over the past few days. It seemed this fear would never end. He opened his mouth to speak again, just when Annie thought the silence would remain forever.

“Sit down,” he roared angrily. Fear seemed to overwhelm Annie as she stared up at him. She sat quickly, hoping that would make him less angry.

“I paid for you. I own you, kid,” he growled menacingly. She shivered at the coldness in his tone, not really believing him, but still feeling the fear, because she knew she wouldn’t be able to stop him doing whatever he wanted with her. She could only lie here, and take whatever he dished out to her, and pray that some day soon, she’d be able to escape him, and find some safety. Her family might not want her, but she was sure someone would.

He stroked her hair, trailing his hand down to her chest, and her just-developing boobs. She sobbed, knowing in her heart this was wrong. She wished she could push his hand away, but that would only make him more angry. So, to avoid his anger being taken out on her, she lay still and as quiet as she could, and took his punishment.

When he’d finished, he rolled off of her and walked away, leaving her in a small, shaking heap. She’d never known pain like it. It burned, from below her legs up to her stomach, stopping just short of her chest. She couldn’t move, or speak, or make any kind of noise at all. The voices in her head screamed at her to get up and get out, but when she tried, her arms and legs wouldn’t obey her.

Finally, he returned and ordered her to get up and get into the kitchen, because he was going to teach her how to cook, and she’d damn well better pay attention or he’d beat her, since cooking was to be her job from now on. The sound of his voice helped her find the will to stand, if a little shakily. She followed him into the kitchen.

After learning the ropes, she began to prepare the meal, and did a surprisingly good job of it, considering the fact that she was only seven years old.

******

Annie woke up to a quiet house. That in itself was worrying, because this house was never so quiet. Frank was always shouting one order or another at her, expecting her to appear before him instantly, something she had become very good at over the years. Creeping out of bed, she crept to his bedroom to see what was wrong. Frank lay in bed, not moving. She moved closer, and still he didn’t move. Any minute now, Annie told herself. Any minute now, he’d be sure to jump out of bed, demanding to know why she was in his room. But he didn’t, and this scared Annie more than over. At 10 years old, she knew the punishment for entering this room, above all others, was bad. To not receive that punishment meant something was seriously wrong. Reaching the bed, she stretched out her hand and touched him. Now, now, surely, he’d respond. Still nothing. Frank was….cold. And, strangely, he seemed to have hardened during the night. She jumped back at the coldness.

Then, turning, she fled. Whatever had happened in this house, she wanted no part of it. If he wasn’t going to respond to her, then she was going to do her best to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
The nightmare doesn't end here. There will be more heartache for Annie, but not just yet.