Baby Shadows

Rescue (Save Me)

Rick saw a shadow move. He passed it off as his imagination, until he saw it again. Someone, or something, was out there. Grabbing his rifle, Rick set out to investigate. When he entered the garden, he saw the bush in the corner move, so he walked over to see what was going on. Maybe that old cat had got into his garden again. He really did have to deal with that. He got the shock of his life when he peered into the leaves.

There was a kid there, hiding inside the bush, staring back at him. She couldn’t be very old, and instinctively, he knew she needed his help. He recovered himself quickly. He couldn’t afford to go into shock right now, not when a kid needed his help/

“Hey, kid,” the man murmured soothingly, gathering her up in his arms. She clung to him, somehow knowing that he would keep her safe. Her eyes were a strange golden colour, shining fearfully out from under her floppy brown fringe.

“Welcome to my family, Wolfe,” he whispered. The name seemed to fit, and had slipped into his head, and out of his mouth, almost before he’d realised that he’d thought it. Turning, he carried the shivering child into his home to meet his daughter, Rose.

Rose was interested in this new playmate, and before long, the girls were racing around like old friends. A sense that she’d done this before came to Annie, who was now called Wolfe, but she couldn’t place where or when. After a while, she shook that feeling off and lost herself in the game she was playing with Rose.

All too soon, it was time for bed. As was her habit now, Wolfe stopped what she was doing almost straight away and went to stand before the man she’d been told to call Uncle Rick for inspection. Rose, however, seemed intent on destruction, pulling on Wolfe’s arm to pull her back into their game. Uncle Rick sorted her out and sent them both off to bed, Rose lagging behind to kiss her father goodnight.

Wolfe lay in bed that night, her mind so full of the day’s events that she was unable to sleep. Frank’s, Uncle Rick’s and Rose’s faces kept circling her brain, but eventually, her eyes closed and she was asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, sorry for the shortness. In the next chapter, Wolfe will be 13.