Baby Shadows

The Big, Scary World

Wolfe’s eyes flickered open. She was in a bare white room. A light hung from the ceiling, low but not too low. She turned over in the bed, and saw the carpet was white as well as the walls. Hell, even the bed was white. Where was she? Wait, wasn’t Heaven meant to be all white? Had she died? A noise at the door made her turn her head. A nurse had just entered the room, and suddenly, all the previous nights events came flooding back to her. She was in a hospital, and Uncle Rick was dead. Wolfe sobbed. Her life was so uncertain now. Where would she go? A soft voice whispered to her in her mind that the time had come for her to go out there, into the world, and search for her real family. Surely, by now, the things that made them sell her to Frank had changed. Surely, now, they’d be missing her and would welcome her with open arms. Pushing herself off the bed, she assured the nurse she was fine, and left the hospital.

Wolfe had no idea which way to go, which way her true home was, but she was sure her heart would lead her to them. She was nervous. What would they think of the girl they hadn’t seen for so many years? She wanted to get there though. She had to see them, to know why they had done what they did all those years ago.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short, and sorry it's been so long. More coming later.