Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Permanently Yours

The Boy with the Broken Halo.

I lost most of the weight by seventh grade, thank god. But then boys started noticing me…no, thank you, god. Garrett had turned oddly protective of me. I always thought that was weird, considering I was actually the older of us two.

Our parents always let Garrett out of the house to hang out with friends or do whatever he wanted to. I swear, they had me on perpetual house arrest. It was so unfair. The only times they let me out of the house was when Garrett was going with me, which I hated…

Our school had middle school "dances" for everyone in sixth through eigthth grade. I didn't go to the sixth grade dances because I was still conscious of my weight. And someone told me I had to have a date to go to the dance. Of course no guy would approach me… Then Garrett enlightened me and said that dances were for everyone to attend, date or not.

I was so excited for the seventh grade winter semi formal dance. I had bought a really pretty blue dress. When I put it on and took the time to do my hair and makeup and everything, Garrett didn't even recognize me. For once in my life, I actually felt kind of pretty, too.

I felt like crying when a guy named Kennedy asked me to slow dance with him. Yeah, it was the stupid “holding each other at arm’s length” kind of slow dancing, but still – he asked me to dance with him, and he actually knew my name. It was like…Christmas came early. Kennedy was so sweet and nice and funny. He was in my English and Art classes, but he never sat near enough me there to talk. It didn’t even occur to me that he was probably only noticing me now because I was skinny and pretty.

When the slow dance was over, we let go of each other, but not after Kennedy made me promise that when the next slow song came on, we’d dance together again. I went to get some punch…and some jealous little bitches decided to spill it all over my dress but make it look like an accident. They were mad that I danced with Kennedy. I was mad that they ruined my dress, so I walked out of the school.

I was sitting out on the curb, pulling off my strappy black pumps and crying over the whole ordeal, when the smell of smoke pervaded my nostrils. I coughed and turned about, looking for its source. “Oh, shit, …you won’t tell anyone, will you?” A lanky boy not far from me laughed, stomping out his cigarette. I just waved away the left over smoke. “What’s your name, baby doll? What grade are you in?”

“Grey Nickelsen…and I’m in seventh grade.”

“What time is the dance over? Do you know a kid named Ross O’Callaghan?”

“The dance is over at…nine. Ross is in my grade, but I don’t have any classes with him…”

“Fuck,” he scoffed, and pulled out another cigarette. “Do you mind?”

“Yes,” I said fiercely, rubbing my tears away.

He put his pack of cigarettes away, leaning closer to me. “Hey…what’s wrong, baby doll?”

“Girls are vicious,” I muttered, hugging my legs to my chest. It was cold out. He laughed softly and slipped off his leather jacket to cautiously drape it around my slight frame, breathing a sigh of relief when I didn’t shrug it off. “What’s your name?” I asked, pulling his jacket tighter around me.

“Um…John. John O’Callaghan. I’m Ross’ brother. I’m in ninth grade…”

“Nice to meet you, John,” I said, smiling at him for the first time now.

“Want some gum?” he offered, holding out a piece to me, which I gratefully took.

And we were friends from that point onwards. John had such a big heart, and he understood the troubles of being the oldest in the family. Despite our age difference, he treated me like his equal, which I didn’t expect. I don’t know why he decided to talk to me that night, but I’m so glad he did.

Even if the “baby doll” nickname irritated me to death.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it! well, well, well...school dances.
i go to a little catholic high school, so at our dances,
we're not allowed to grind, or, as they would say, "act like animals." -___-;
then again, it's the kind of dancing that's like...
like sex with all your clothes on ._.
teachers will be weaving through the crowd and
when they see couples dancing, they'll be like,
"make sure there's room for the holy spirit between you and your date!"
or some other stupid shit...it's like, wtf? gtfo! SO. AWKWARD.
sorry for the rant, haha. anyways, feedback would be lovely ♡