Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Permanently Yours

Like a Toy to a Kid.

Kennedy and I were pretty close friends now. I made sure never to befriend any of Garrett’s friends. The only thing I wanted to share with my brother was a house and a last name. When high school hit, with it came a ridiculous amount of freedom, but I was more the big sister than ever. I drove the both of us to school in the mornings and home in the afternoons. We didn’t get allowances anymore, but they gave Garrett money whenever he asked. I figured they would automatically always say no to me if I asked, so I never asked.

One day after school, Garrett went home with Pat and he didn’t even tell me. I was mad because I had waited for him forever. I was going to drive home, but then I decided to see Kennedy instead… “What are you doing here?” Kennedy asked excitedly when he ran up to my car to hug me.

“I need an excuse to come see my best friend?” I laughed, hugging him back. Kennedy was my only friend – at least, the only friend I had that was my age. “So, what are you up to today?”

“I was actually going over to, uh, Publix? To apply for a job there…”

“You’re kidding! Well, we should go together, ‘cause I need a job, too!”

So, that very afternoon, we went to Publix together and applied on one of the little computer things. Kennedy was a sophomore at this point – a grade older than me, yet we were the same age – fifteen. We both applied for the same positions before going over to the pizza place next door…which John worked at. John was a junior. He was a pizza delivery guy, but he wasn’t busy yet, so we all had pizza and chilled together.

I was glad Kennedy and John got along. They were my only friends, so I really wanted them to get along. I felt like they were the only things that were mine. I had to share our parents, our house, and everything else with Garrett. I’m so glad we at least didn’t have to share a room.

When I got home, my parents were so mad because I was home “late” and without Garrett. They would’ve grounded me, but Garrett was slick. Tim, Pat’s older brother, came to drop Garrett off and Garrett explained that he was at Pat’s house and it wasn’t my fault and I explained that I was getting a job. They left us alone after that.

Garrett went home with Pat a lot that year. They were in some band together. Garrett really did play bass guitar. Granted, mom and dad got him that for his birthday. They wouldn’t get me one, but they did let me have their old car, so you can bet I spent more time with John and Kennedy than ever.

They didn’t make fun of me for being older than I should be for my grade level. In fact, when we had downtime at work, I actually usually helped Kennedy with a lot of his homework. John never did homework, though…slacker.

Work was alright. I was tired a lot because I worked as much and as often as possible and stayed up late to do all my schoolwork on top of that, but it was always worth it when I got my paycheck. I even worked on my sixteenth birthday. I didn’t have a sweet sixteen because I didn’t have a lot of girlfriends. I didn’t mind at all. Besides, all my parents would get me was another gift card in a birthday card. One time I got the same card from them two years in a row and they didn’t even know it.

But…John and Kennedy had other plans.

“Surprise!” They both yelled when they uncovered my eyes. After much stumbling and tripping, they led me blindfolded to a table with a large pepperoni and mushroom pizza and an ice cream cake on it.

“Aww, you guys…” I hugged the both of them tightly, and cried so hard when they got out the present they bought for me – my very own bass guitar.

...I love my friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
yes, new layout, new title, but don't be confused...like it? love it? hate it?
oodles of love for those who left me comments:
jennabobenna, forevernalways, ally, and BlissfulNightmare.
thank you, thank you, thank you for reading and commenting!
my parents actually did get me the same card twice in a row...smh...
well, comment/subscribe, next chapter's gonna be fun... >:D
it'll be a while before i update again, though - so much college stuff...
i'm applying to UGA this weekend, wish me luck! k bye.