Sequel: By Now

More Than Words

Let love grow

For the first time in my adult life, I had a “serious” relationship. Granted, it was a little different than most, because we were already living together when we got together, but we still slept in separate rooms, so it wasn’t quite living together, not really.

Still, even if it was a little different from most relationships, I liked it better that way. We weren’t like other people and I didn’t want this to be just any relationship. Nick and I had something special, something different from everything I’d ever felt for another person. He was the highlight of my day. It used to be the shop, but now, it was spending time with Nick, learning more about him and growing to like him even more. The fact that I got to have Nick and the shop at the same time was just a bonus.

Nick and I were spending more time together than ever and even though there was some friction between us when there were dishes in the sink, or someone took a joke too far or what have you, we were getting along better than I ever had with anyone else. Neither of us had said the “L” word or tried to move pass heavy kissing in our physical relationship, but I could tell we were both thinking about it. I was too shy, and I think we’re both too worried about screwing this up.

I could tell I was going to have to make the first move. Nick was being cautions with me, moving at a glacial pace because he knew that this was my first pretty much anything and he wanted to move at my speed.

“Ellory? You in there?”

I snapped my head up to look at Nick, who was smiling at me from where he was sitting across the aisle.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I said, getting back to stocking shelves.

He leaned across the cardboard box full of books in the middle of the aisle and took my hands in his, stopping me from putting a price sticker on the book I was holding. “Hun, you put 10 price stickers on the same book while you were all spacey.”

“Oh.” I said, getting to work at peeling off the stickers.

“You gonna tell me what got you thinking so hard?”

“No.” I said, blushing. No matter how bad I wanted to move forward in our relationship, physically, there was no way I’d ever say it out loud. I’m still too embarrassed.

“All right, have it your way.” he said.

“It’s just… It’s embarrassing, and silly. Don't’ worry about it.”

“El, even though I love how adorable you are when you blush, I thought we were done with you being embarrassed to tell me things.”

“We are.” I said. “This is just me being silly.”

“Is it a sex thing?” he said, the look on his face showing that he already knew the answer.

“Yeah.” I sighed, giving in. “I don’t know, I just… I know you wanna go slow for me, and I appreciate that, really, I do, but it feels too slow. I guess I just wanted to know if we could move a little faster.”

“Of course.” he said, laughing so his whole body shook. “I told you that you get to take the lead. If you wanted to move faster, you should have said something, or just done it. Never be afraid to try something new. You don’t know what could happen. Just live fore the day.”

I smiled and kissed him quickly, leaning back to my side of the aisle. “Now, get back to work. I’m still your boss you know.”

“Yes sir.”

We worked in silence for a bit before Nick spoke up again.

“I just want you to know, that even though I’m more experienced than you, it’s been a few years since I’ve done anything, with anyone, so I’m pretty rusty. Don’t be embarrassed. We’re both pretty much starting from zero here.”

“Really?” I said, shocked for some reason. He hadn’t mentioned anyone else, but I just assumed, since he was so attractive, that he’d have had tons of relationships before me.

“Yeah.” he said. “It’s been, what, 3 years since my last relationship? Yeah, 3 years.”

“Wow.” I said. “Really? That’s hard to believe.”

“How?” he said. “If it’s because I'm attractive, imagine how hard it was for me to believe that you’d never had a real relationship. You’re gorgeous, Ellory. How is it that no one’s managed to get to you before me?”

“I guess no one else made the effort.” I said. “Besides, you came to me through the shop. It’s always been a place of comfort for me, so I guess I was more likely to open up to you here than in some dingy, dark club in the city.”

“Well, I’m glad I saw that Help Wanted sign, then.”

“Me too.” I smiled and pushed the now empty box aside, wrapping my arms around his neck and scooting to sit next to him, kissing him quickly. His arms came up and held me around the waist as if it was an instinct he’d had since birth. “You’re amazing.” I said.

“Thanks.” he said. “Just telling the truth. You’re pretty amazing yourself.”

“Well, maybe you’re starting to rub off on me.” I said. “Carly says you are. She says I’ve never been more extroverted or excited about life.”

“I’m glad I’ve changed you for the better, then.” he said, smiling and squeezing me tight. “I don’t know if I want to know how you were before I got here. You probably were a certifiable hermit.”

“Hey.” I said, pouting. “I went out sometimes.”

“Even if Carly didn’t drag you?” he said, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

“…Maybe she had to push me in the right direction.” I muttered.

“It’s okay.” he said. “Just means that no one else had the chance to snap you up before I got here.”

“Well, then, that’s one good thing that came out of it, isn’t it?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title from Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons because it was the first song with lyrics that wasn't Wizard Rock that popped up on shuffle...

Huzzah! More comments!!!

<3 Casey