Sequel: By Now

More Than Words

It'll put color in your cheeks

Nick and I finished lunch and started walking back to the shop, chatting animatedly as we went. He was like no one I've ever met. He was so interesting. I could listen to him talk for hours, and not just because of that amazing British lilt to his voice, but it's that he's so interesting to listen to.

He was funny, and insightful, and he knew when to laugh, when to ask questions and when to change the subject. It was almost scary how much I'm beginning to like him.

We arrived back at the shop and opened it back up for the afternoon. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. Whenever there weren't any customers in the store, Nick would turn on some music and start dancing with me. He was determined to teach me how to two-step so that I "won't embarrass him if any of his friends from Texas ever came and visited". He assured me they weren't hillbillies or rednecks, but said they did like some country music and at dances, they'd two-step.

It was a relatively simple dance, just two steps forward and one step back, but I have no skill when it comes to dancing when your partner is spinning you out and in and expects you to be able to follow and not crash into anything. We were laughing and running into shelves every once in a while and just having a great time, so great that we didn't notice it was closing time until 30 minutes after.

"I've got to get back home." he said. "Big day tomorrow. I've got to look really good for my new boss."

"New boss, eh?" I said. "How's that going?"

"I think it's going pretty well. He's really nice and cute and lets me twirl him around the shop when I'm bored."

"Well, you better get back home, then. Don't be late tomorrow." I said, blushing slightly from his compliments.

"All right." he said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

He hugged me tightly and I hugged him back, loving the sweet and spicy smell he had around him.

He started walking away, but before I could lose my nerve, I called out. "Are you busy tomorrow after work?"

He turned around and looked back at me from the sidewalk. "Don't think so."

"Well then, tomorrow, I'm taking you to see how we dance up here."

He looked up at me and smirked. "I'm looking forward to it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title from The Mountain Goats' "Color In Your Cheeks"

Ooooh, what's this? A date? :)

Thanks for sticking around, guys. Let me know what you think, and recommend this to your friends!

I'll post the next chapter tonight if I can get a comment or two before then, 'cause I know this one was a little short...

Thanks to Nicole (Nytestalker) for pointing out an error- Nick isn't living with Ellory. Not yet, at least. I changed my mind during the pre-writing and forgot to go back and fix it. But it's fixed now!

Thanks to the commenters, and to my subscribers. You keep me writing :)

<3 Casey