Dead End

1/1

"Stay with me. Come on, stay... stay with me."

He was tired, so very tired. It felt like everything was bogged down with the mud of a swamp; he was moving in slow motion. Cold was creeping through his fingertips and seeping up his arm. His skin was crawling, as if it were trying to vacate his body.

His head was throbbing painfully like a drug-induced heartbeat. It spun with each pound.

He was tripping and falling and tumbling down a spiral of darkening colors. It was like a slippery slope with nothing for him to grab on to. He would be able to, even if he could. His hands weren't functioning properly now; most of his body had gone numb.

"Wake up."

A sharp pain tingled through the side of his face, then dissipated into nothing-ness. A mere flash of feeling that died just as soon as it had begun.

He continued to fall deeper into the spiral, as if his entire body were weighted down with cinder blocks. It was getting darker with each passing moment.

His body was like a rag doll tumbling from a child's careless hands. He felt both heavy and weightless at the same time. He was a mere speck against the spiral backdrop. And yet, he was the only sign of life in this vacuum-like world.

"Oh God, don't - don't do this. You can make it."

The spiral began to grow lighter. In the distance, instead of darkness, there was a blinding pinpoint of light. It was as if he were reaching the end of a railroad tunnel.

He was no longer falling. It was as if there was now a purpose for his descent. A force beyond himself was coaxing him forward, calling his name seductively.

He sped up urgently. The light was becoming more intense and seemed to consume more of the darkness with each long second that passed. It was bright, but it was menacing while still seeming to retain some semblance of purity. He feared this light, but at the same time urged it forward intently.

"Fuck! Come on, stay with me, goddammit!"

He reached a hand out and plunged it into the light. It burned, but it was the biting cold of dry ice. His skin tingled, and his eyes were irritated. He struggled to pull away from the bright vortex with the futility of running underwater. But, it was far too late. His actions were meaningless. Once the light had tasted him, it wasn't going to relinquish him. Not so easily.

Like quicksand, he was sucked in deeper the more he struggled. Before he knew it, he had been consumed by the light. His body was cold, floating in empty space. He was nothing but a molecule of humanity in this vast land. It was over.

"Oh... oh god. Don't, please, don't... you can't do this... you ca-can't die."

And then, nothing.

I... I'm so sorry.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit of an experiment. I'm rather fond of this.