Thick As Blood

Parties on the Boardwalk

The Atlantic City lights twinkled from far away. The 1920 Ford engine hummed while they made their way across the highway. Hey had a full tank of fuel as they headed for the city. Leaving New York was the best decision Cecelia had ever made. New York housed the one man who thought he could buy everything – but not her, not Cecelia; No one could buy her.

She had tried to pick between Chicago and Atlantic City like any normal person would – but she made Tory, her chauffer and body guard laugh when she drew a line on the ground with chalk and spun around until she was too dizzy to stand, when she fell down she was pointing in the direction of Atlantic City. She had never been and was rather excited to arrive.

Cecelia had been performing in New York’s Hotel Elysée with her very unique and risqué performance, she’d spend three nights a week entertaining men from 11pm to 1am, and again at 3am to 4am. Her show was incredibly popular due to the fact that she was one of the few performers that tastefully displayed her body in new and unique ways while men drooled over not only her talent but of course her God given beauty. She sang, she danced, told jokes, and some nights she simply stood on stage and talked to all the men that vied for her attention.

Every night she’d have men who gave her flowers, and jewelry – and a number of them would offer her a fat check if she allowed them to spend the night with her. She always declined – even though the rumor was that she had a man in her bed every night. She liked it that way – it made her easier to reject all the men who begged for her to take them home. It was nice – or at least it was until Arnold Rothstein entered the club that night. After hearing his coworkers and associates vie about her show he finally made his was down there, and he was at every show, from beginning to end for two whole weeks. He sat from a far away table and watched her grace and power transfix all the men below her. Rothstein has sipped his bourbon and at the end of the night, like the rest of the powerful men with money, he expected her to ‘take care’ of his desires. When she declined he threatened her within an inch of her life and said he’d be back the next night.

She was gone with Tory an hour after Rothstein had left. Leaving the show, the men, and her troubles behind. But Cecelia wouldn’t allow the show to end.

Tory was a friend from the orphan home Cecelia had grown up in. He was African American with a large build, and a knack for protecting those around him. He had kept the other boys from picking on Cecelia when they were growing up – when she was eighteen and finally allowed to leave the home she offered him a job as her bodyguard. It came in handy that cold New York night when she informed Tory that she was going to run. He told her, “Alright, I’ve got two Ideas. I’ve gotta’ guy in Chicago – and a Guy in Atlantic City.”

And now here they were, on the road to Atlantic City.

Cecelia was slightly worried about starting up another line up, if it got too big, Rothstein was sure to find her here, and that’s why she had a meeting that night, with Nucky Thompson. Chalky White of Atlantic City was apparently a distant relative of Tory’s. Chalky had arranged the whole meet – vouching for Cecelia’s show he’d seen on his vacation to New York.
_______________________________________________________

She sat in a Victorian style chair while she waited for the infamous Nucky Thompson. His office was well designed – and radiated the well known fact that he had money. She had arrived after ten, apparently he was enjoying himself at a party here at the Ritz.

Cecelia had given Nucky Thompson an hour to show his face. And when he didn’t she wandered downstairs. Tory and Nucky’s assicant insisted she stop, that Nucky wasn’t the man she wanted to be on the bad side of, but without hesitation she found herself looking up at a man that she couldn’t have been happier to see.

“Mr. Bader–“ Cecelia called out, recognizing the man giving the speech, he had been a regular during his stay in New York City. She was standing in the carved wooden archway of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Atlantic City. It was more beautiful that she had imagined, all lit up like that.

“Miss, Cici D! My favorite headliner from New York City, here for my very own birthday! Nucky, you’ve really out done yourself this time.” Governor Bader was smiling at the man sitting at a round table.

“ Absolutely – I got a call, and your name was mentioned and I happened to wonder… if you were wondering about me.” She sang the last bit of her sentence reminding him of one of his favorite numbers she did a while back. Which seemed to remind a few others who she was – and what her presence promised. With a bit of applause and cheering she was eventually on stage. Singing Mr. Bader his very own risqué song that he very much enjoyed. “You’ll vibrate like a string I’m plucking…” While dancing around and with Mr. Bader she noticed the irritation that had arisen from Nucky Thompson’s table, he had a couple men with him, and as soon as she was finished teasing the men at her feet she casually stepped away.

“Gentlemen – now can you see why I stayed so long in New York? Thank you Nucky, really!”

Nucky Thompson gestured his welcome, pretending like it was all part of his glorious plan for Governor Bader’s birthday. Several men came up to meet her and shake her hand and offer their praise for such an entertaining number. She flirted with every single one, giving them butterflies – like she always did. It was her only nature.

Nucky looked at the girl before him, someone who was considerably young, maybe twenty at the most. She had long dark hair that was curled for the public, but had odd fringe covering her forehead that was fairly new for this fashion day and age. The dress she wore was knee length, shorter than most public occasional dresses, but it was expensive nonetheless. He gave Jimmy a look, both recognizing that the girl was considerably beautiful. Her eyes seemed to gleam, and her legs were golden and shimmering – she was the type of girl that caught your eye across a room and held your gaze all night long. That was why she was so popular, and her singing wasn’t bad either – of course Nucky knew that wasn’t their favorite part of the show.

He nodded to Jimmy, giving him the okay to pull her away from the group while the men directed their attention back to Governor Bader, Jimmy pulled Cecelia down the hall and into the elevator, where Nucky quickly followed and before the elevator doors shut tight Cecelia looked into the lobby to find a familiar face, not Torys, not Rothstein’s, but her mothers.

Her mother looked at her bewildered. Just then – the doors shut.

She eyed the man with the gimpy leg. His features reminded her of someone she knew. He looked like he was ready to do anything Nucky asked. Obviously the muscle in the group considering Cecelia’s arm was now lightly bruised. Jimmy gave her a sharp look – like she should be careful about what she says to Nucky. She tilted her eyebrow giving him a look like she knew he wouldn’t touch her – especially if what Cecelia thought was going to happen, happened.

They made their way back behind closed doors, both Nucky’s assistant and Tory weren’t allowed in. Making the room very silent almost as if she were dead already.

“So you obviously think your important enough to interrupt my very important political gathering.”

“I am kind of a big deal.” She said, brushing his comment off her shoulders. She felt the back hand of Jimmy graze her cheek.

“You don’t speak to Nucky like that.” Jimmy told her. She realized now, why she recognized him.

“Darmody kid… right?” she asked tasting a light stain of blood in her mouth, she had bit her lip slightly when he’d slapped her.

“I ain’t no kid.” He said with clenched teeth. Cecelia smiled back at him, and Jimmy couldn’t help but feel she knew something he didn’t.

“You may be some hot shot back in New York - But not in Atlantic City you’re not. I don’t know where the fuck you think you came from, but from what I know you’re just a sad orphan that crashed my party.”

“If anything I made it better. Seemed pretty drab when I got there.” She said, ready to be cocky. She was going to make Nucky a lot of money – and he was going to protect her from Rothstein. She saw the irritated look across his face. He had ignored their meeting, and she wasn’t just going to let him get away with that. They sat in silence for a few minutes before a commotion was heard outside his office doors: someone was trying to come in, and was being denied that option. But if Cecelia had guessed correctly on who it was – she would find her was in eventually. Nucky motioned for Jimmy to check on the outside situation. The only surprise Cecelia encountered was when she heard Gillian saying Jimmy’s name.

“You are my son, but so help me if you throw me out of this room I will box your ears.” Nucky crossed his eyebrows curious as to what business Gillian Darmody had with him this late at night. His confusion was fed further when Gillian took one look at the girl sitting in the chair: “Cecelia Darmody what the hell are you doing here?!”

Cecelia watched Nucky’s face turn to realization. Cecelia turned to face Gillian and smiled sweetly, “Hello Mother Dearest.”

“Mother.” Nucky said.

“Mother?” Jimmy said.

Gillian stared at both the men in the room, and then back at Cecelia. She was flustered, irritated and confused.

“What are you doing here?” she asked again.

“Only doing what I learned from you Mommy.” She said sarcastically.

“Wait… Gillian.” Nucky stared, “you have another child?”

“Mom,” Jimmy said, “Tell me you’re just joking. That she’s…”

Gillian tried her best to ignore the comments.

“What happened to New York sweetie?” she asked.

“Oh mother, I ran away from my problems. Just like you taught me.” Cecelia had a warm spot for spiting her mother and her abandonment. Cecelia was pleased with her comment until Gillian let her swift hand slap Cecelia across her other cheek.

“Ladies,” Nucky said motioning for Jimmy to get over here and keep the two women apart. “Let’s just calm down and… talk for a moment.”

“Mom. I have… god damned sister?” Jimmy asked.

Cecelia gave him that one. She did consider herself damned in the Christian sense. But then again, she didn’t believe in God. Another thing she got from her mother.

“Yes, Gillian since the bigger elephant in the room seems to be your relationship with this girl why don’t you go first.” Nucky said, trying to direct the conversation.

Gillian Darmody looked at her son, and back at Nucky. Both were expecting an explanation, and it was obviously too late to back out. She took a seat next to Cecelia and took in a deep breath.

“Nucky, you… would remember this, Jimmy you were too young but… I think you were about two… and… I was only sixteen but I still loved being on stage and… so I went with the girls to New York.”

“You left me?” Jimmy asked her, slightly hurt. “When I was a baby?”

“Oh Jimmy don’t sound so flustered. I was always coming back – I just took a little break.”

“And left me where? With Dad?”

“You were with Nucky… for a little over a year.” She admitted.

Jimmy looked at the man who had hidden this from him all his life. “So you’ve both been lyin’?”

“Jimmy. I took a business trip – Nucky agreed to look after you while I was gone.”

“Right, and so out of that I got a baby sister? Who’d you fuck to get her?”

“He was just some… stage hand I don’t know. He worked for the theater company and he kept me company while I was away from home. I didn’t have you, I didn’t have your father, I got pregnant a month later, and then I had… Cecelia. The orphanage I gave her to was very understanding since I was only sixteen she was maybe three months old when I left… so… so tiny.”

“Thanks for that mother.” Cecelia said.

“Don’t you sound ungrateful – I sent you money when I had enough to spare, I visited, I kept in touch.”

“Mom – how could you do that to me!” Jimmy asked, Cecelia could see he was hurt, she had felt the same feeling.

Nucky interjected, “Jimmy, sit.”

Jimmy refused and headed for the door. So Cecelia interjected, “You shouldn’t be mad with her.” She spoke loudly enough that he could hear.

“Oh? And why’s that?” Jimmy asked.

“Because she chose you.” Cecelia stood facing him, she took a few steps towards him and he didn’t back away – and she knew he heard the truth in her words. He knew that Cecelia must’ve had it worse, knowing all those years her mother was a few hundred miles away living her life with another family.

Nucky had handed Gillian a handkerchief, she blotted her eyes trying to keep her makeup from running. Jimmy rolled his eyes and left the room leaving the rest of them to figure the situation out on their own. Tory walked in the open door, taking the opportunity to check on his friend.

Nucky seemed to recognize him. “You’re Chalky’s guy right?”

Tory nodded. Nucky motioned him to join them. Tory shut the door and found his way to the desk. Cecelia returned to her seat and with a hint of compassion left in her she held her mothers hand.

“We could use you at the distillery. Chalky’s had a bit of trouble with these Italian bastards we’ve had running around. Now that they’ve been taken care of, he could use a hand to clean up the mess down there.”

“So I’ve heard.” Tory responded.

“I think I need him more.” Cecelia said.

Oh? you little bitch?” Nucky started irritated.

“Watch yourself Nucky.” Gillian started offended by his choice of words.

“Mother, stop, Tory, Don’t.” Cecelia said. “Nucky Thompson,” she paused: “we have a business meeting to attend to, I would like to get our business taken care of.”

“We have no business. Get out of my sight.” He told her, he stood and began to put back on his coat to return to the party.

“Do you have any idea what I do to an entire city?” she asked him. “I can increase the tourist population three times over, all only men, and the men who bring their wives? Five fold.”

“And what’s it to me?” he spat.

“You run a tourist town – the boardwalk, city with lights, alcohol, and hotels. Gimme’ two nights a week and your income will triple – at minimum.”

“One show can’t do that.”

“No, but an intense crowd of wealthy gentlemen buying alcohol, whores, dice games, and staying in your hotels does.”

Nucky realized she had actually thought this business transaction through.

“And what do you want in return? Fifty percent?”

“No.” she stated, “I want none of it.”

Nucky now knew there was more to the story. “Then what the fuck is it?”

“I keep what I earn on my own… you reap the benefits of having a hit show in town – all I ask is for a bit of protection.”

“From what exactly?” Nucky asked, waiting to hear the good part.

“Rothstein. New York – anybody from that direction mostly.”

“You got yourself kicked up in Rothstein’s shit you’re on your own – I just settle my own beef with that guy I’m not gonna start again.”

“You will.” She said. “Why don’y you go back down stairs and think it over.”
_____________________________________________

Gillian Darmody was still looking at her beautiful daughter.

“You… have your fathers black hair.” Gillian said.

“And your looks?” Cecelia asked. Her question made Gillian smile, something she only did when her children were around.

“So my brother? He’s two years… older than me?”

“More like three.” Gillian said, answering her question.”

“What bastard knocked you up so young?” Cecelia asked. “And how come you never told me? All those times you visited.”

“I… was afraid you’d try and follow me home.”

Cecelia was immediately hurt.

“Cici baby, I didn’t mean,” she grabbed her daughters hand, “I guess I wanted to avoid that explanation for as long as I could. Not… because I didn’t want you but because I didn’t want to stay that girl that got pregnant when she was only a girl. I could barely take care of Jimmy, and without Nucky’s help… we wouldn’t have made it.”

“I always knew you were selfish mother, but perhaps a little responsibility would set a good example for your children.” Cecelia stood to leave. Tory followed Gillian didn’t follow, for once her daughter walked away from her.
_________________________________________________________

Nucky returned to the party to find Bader gleaming with appreciation.

“Hey that was… swell really, how did you know I liked her?”

“Apparently everyone does.” Nucky said, not amused.

“True she is a fiery devil that one, every guy wants to be with her, every woman wants to kill her.”

“Why would they want to kill her?”

“For what she does to their husbands of course!” he said laughing, like it was meant to be a joke. Nucky tucked back a glass of whiskey and let Bader continue to talk.

But after a while he realized he had overheard heard more than one conversation about her performance and her reputation.

“Cici D.” they called her.

Nucky motioned for Eddie to come over to him. He seemed babbling, like always.

“Those storage rooms, up those stairs.” Nucky pointed, “Have one furnished with one of the new mattresses from the Ritz, dressing room, mirror – that sort of thing.”

“You are going to give Ms. Darmody a job?”

Nucky was taken aback by the use of Gillian’s maiden name, of course both her kids had it – he was still somewhat shocked that Gillian had told no one of having a baby girl all those years ago.

“Yes you dummy, what do you think I’m doing?” Nucky pushed him away.

“Yes, of course sir!” he stammered, he rushed off to find the consierge of the hotel to inform him of the new plans.

Nucky hated to admit it – but he was going to give that girl what she wanted, and he was going to protect her from Rothstein too. Because that damn girl pack a hard bargain, and Nucky being a businessman could not refuse.
___________________________________

Her and Tory took the lift to the lobby level – the party seemed to be dispersing and Cecelia nearly walked out without notice until a small bumbling German man stopped her.

“Mr. Thompson will have your room ready tomorrow. Until then he had a delux suite for you to stay the night in.” he told her.

Cecelia smiled; realized Nucky had made his business investment.

After wishing Governor Bader another Happy Birthday she followed Eddie upstairs to her room. Tory explained that he was leaving to visit Chalky and would return sometime tomorrow. She hugged her friend goodbye and thanked him for taking her all the way here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspirational song for the Birthday Party: "Call from the Vatican" Featured in the film: Nine.