Thick As Blood

Nights alone with Her

Cecelia ended her show fifteen minutes early, pretending that she had nothing else prepared for the rest of the evening. She mostly just wanted to be off stage, off to wonder and worry about where Richard could be. Maybe she could ask around and find out or perhaps he was already waiting for her.

She was happy to see Richard standing there, waiting for her. She hurried over to him and gladly took his hand in hers. Richard was pleased to see her acting warmly towards him, she did not look away or seem embarrassed. The crowd didn’t seem to notice she left early, it was a new night, and perhaps the Friday show ran shorter. The men just began their usual shuffling, whether it was to try and get back stage or get out was up to them. Richard of course led her away from the hoard of black suits, and up the stairs, their normal route.

“Where were you Richard?” she asked politely, as to show him she was merely curious.

“Jimmy mm, he had me upstate with him, doing business. I’m very sorry I returned so late. Mm. If I would have known Nucky-” he tried to get out all his reasoning, and apology out at once, she could tell he felt badly about it.

“Richard…” she hushed him, “It’s quite alright. I understand.” She said smiling.

Richard nodded at her as he led her down her hallway, past the paisley couch and across the red carpet, to her door. He stopped short while she opened it, and once she did he stood there, unsure of where she wanted him. He began to tip his hat to her, bidding her a goodnight, and showing that he’d stand guard. Like always.

She playfully laughed while grabbing his hand again and pulling him inside.

“I have the strangest belief that you can protect me just as well in here… as you can out there.” She said. Richard shut the door after her comment and proceeded to stand there with the door to his back. He was waiting for some command from her. He nervously played with his hat now in his hands; his fidgeting reflected his inner feelings.

”What does she want? It couldn’t possibly be me.” he thought to himself.

“Stay with me Richard.” she said placing her hands back against his. He seemed to relax at her touch she pulled him to a leather armchair that was a new addition to her room.

She took off her glittering headband that seemed to let a few loose hairs fall around her neck, then she began peeling out each pin one by one. Richard liked her hair when it was down. It looked like she cut it once, bobbed it like the other girls did nowadays. But it had grown out again, leaving it just past her shoulders.

She walked away from Richard, who promptly sat down in the soft leather chair. She tossed the pins on her vanity table before stepping behind her dress panels. She threw the matching dress over the top of the third panel, as the dress was heavy the three panels swayed a bit, but eventually stopped and stood still once again. Cecelia realized being alone with him was causing her hands to shake, she was nervous. Usually a glass of whiskey would calm her nerves, but she hadn’t had one yet.

“How was the trip upstate?” she said trying not to sound nervous.

“Just business.” Richard answered.

“And was is it you do exactly… for my brother?” Cecelia asked him carefully – knowing that illegal issues were majority of Jimmy’s handlings. She already knew Richard transported alcohol, but Jimmy didn’t.

“Meeting with old friends.”

“You do business with old friends?” she stated. “Interesting. I thought friends always made for bad business.”

Richard realized that the mirror opposite her, offered a very revealing view of Cecelia and her current disrobed state. She was peeling off each piece of clothing almost as if she knew he could see her that way. Richard turned away nervously, he felt as if spying on her was something she did not deserve. Although her beauty made it difficult for him to look away, giving her the respect she deserved was what he wanted.

“It can be. But Jimmy’s careful.”

“Is he now?” Cecelia stated more than asked, the thought of her brother running an illegal business, carefully made her laugh.

She came out moments later after slipping on a black flowing nightgown. It went past her knees and the sleeves stopped at her shoulders.

Richard returned his gaze to her; she was most beautiful with her disheveled hair, and simple nightgown. Without all the embellishments she wasn’t overcastted by the extravagance of an outfit or perfect hair, because Richard liked seeing her.

Cecelia poured herself a glass of the same Bourbon from the other night. The smell reminded her of the earlier morning, but it was all she had, and she needed it. As always, she offered Richard a glass, and as always he refused. She stifled her nerves with a heavy glass that she brought with her as she sat across from Richard.

“My brothers good to you isn’t he?” she asked.

“Jimmy has, Mm. been a good friend, yes.”

“Then why’d you choose to come back here… even though he asked you not to?” she asked. She could tell that Richard hadn’t expected to be asked that question, but Cecelia didn’t feel awkward asking.

“I suppose, Mm. I knew you needed me.” Richard said. Cecelia finished the last swallow of brown bourbon before she stood up. Richard stood, as his manners were proper. But Cecelia always seemed to find her way to him, they way she fit against his chest made her feel safe. This time he tilted her head up to kiss him, and he lightly left a soft kiss on her lips. Her hands began to toy with his hair, down his neck, and then his ears. The cold wire wrapped around the front of his face to keep his mask from falling to the floor.

“I can’t kiss you properly.” She said. Fingering the thin scrap of metal. Like before, Richard placed his hands against hers, and pulled her hands away.

“Mm. Someone like you,” he began “should never have to see such a thing.”

Cecelia looked at him for a moment, giving him a warm, yet hurt look. She wished he felt comfortable with it, but she would wait, because one day he would be. The both looked at each other, the moment becoming lost.

She didn’t toy with him or push him further; she just kissed the face she could find. But the feeling of three shows in a row was weighing heavily on her, and Richard noticed her eyelids droop. He held in his arms, and lifted her small frame. She hooked her arms around his neck, while holding the gaze from his eyes.

He set her atop her bed, once his arms were free he pulled back the blanket and sheet and she instinctively slid inside them. Again, Richard was ready to bid her goodnight. He didn’t want to keep her up – and he didn’t want her to worry about him. But even after all he said, and all he did – he still felt that distinct pull of her hand against his fingers.

“Stay with me Richard.” She asked him, tugging on his hand again.

“Mm, I’ll come back.” Richard said in a hushed tone. Cecelia watched him leave… and he was only gone for a few short minutes. When he returned he locked the door and came back to her bed. After taking off his shoes he laid down next to Cecelia, who was by now nearly asleep. She took the corner of the blanket in her hand and draped half of it over Richard, allowing her to curl against him comfortably, before falling asleep. Richard draped his arm across her back and realized that by the way her chest was moving, she was fast asleep curled against him. For a minute; his hand stroked her bare arm, while he gazed at her pale skin and he wondered if this was even real.
♠ ♠ ♠
As promised, 2nd part. Working on Chapter 11 now. Thanks for reading.