Thick As Blood

A Short Trip Home

Another week later Cecelia was still in Richards arms. Both as cozy as could be. She had only one more performance that night, before they could be free to explore the city together. But for some reason she was restless. It was Friday morning and she couldn’t stay in bed all day.

She silently slipped into the bathroom and dressed into a red dress. She tied a matching scarf around her head and put on her favorite pair off sunglasses. Her bathroom stash of whisky was left untouched as she ran out of the room and crawled on top of Richard. He woke up and looked at her with a smile.

“I’ve got something fun for us to do.” She smiled, Richard only replied with a groan. “I know you’re tired. But I’ll can wait until you get up.” Richard groaned again. And she left a kiss on his shoulder before she bolted out the door.
*****

Richard rolled over. He could smell Cecelia’s perfume, but her side of the bed was cold. Then he remembered, she had mentioned the something… she would wait for him. He dressed himself, and placed his mask over his scars before he left her room.

He found her in the lobby café, sipping a cup of black coffee and eating bits of a croissant. The weather was nice, finally warm after a long spell of wet weather. He found that Cecelia was easy to spot as red seemed to stand out against her pale skin. He noticed the eyes of many men looking at her, including himself.

He joined her when she waved him over with a happy smile. It was one he saw often with her, but it seemed that it was directed at him almost each time. Several looks of jealousy were shot at him almost the moment he sat by her side.

“Can I get you something?” she asked.

Richard shook his head no.

“You don’t need to be embarrassed, I don’t want you to feel famished.” She said.

“Mm. No thank you.” Richard politely said, “I’m quite alright.”

“How do you feel about having fun today? Before my show?”

“What Mm. did you have in mind?”

“Well last week while you were gone, I went to a picture show. After finding my way there, without getting lost I got to see part of the most wonderful film!”

“Oh. And you Mm. wish to see it again?”

“No I wish to finish it.” Cecelia said. “The audience got to watch all but the last half before the film burst into flames! The refunded the entire audience and gave us tickets for a complimentary show. Will you accompany me Mr. Harrow?” she asked.

“I suppose I can. If that is Mm. what you would like to do today.”

“I would very much like that Richard.” She said as she squeezed his hand. She finished her coffee promptly and took his hand. Together they walked to the theater, hand-in-hand.

The silent movie was enjoyable enough for the both of them. Richard had never seen one completely. Sometimes there were pictures playing in this park in Paris. From his station he could watch scenes, but without a proper view the silent movie was soon forgotten. Even though she was transfixed by the black and white screen, Richard found it hard to steal away from her beauty. The most beautiful girl in Atlantic City was wrapped around his arm, and as she laughed she would place her hand on his chest. He would look down realize she was glad to be with him.

Once the film was over, they left together to head back for a night of work. But quickly interrupted by a man with two children.

Cecelia scooped up the small girl and begun to spin her around. And somehow they all knew her name. He watched from a distance as they all seemed excited to see her, but he felt nervous, children never reacted well to him. She had a small child on her arm, and with the other she took his hand. The children stared, one snickered.

“Cici what’s wrong with him?” the little boy asked.

“Nothing my sweet!” She told him, “He is my protector. He always keeps me safe.”

“From the bad men?” he asked.

“Yes. All the bad men.” Cecelia told him.

The little boy smiled, “Then we play!” he screamed pulling at Cecelia’s arm.

Cecelia managed to soften any worries the children had about Richard’s looks, in exchange for some more attention from her. But she had to stifle the little boys pleas for games, as it seemed her old friend was in quite the hurry.

“Forgive them, they’re only children.” The man said.

“Oh it’s quite alright Henry. These two have always been my favorite anyway.”

“Well say goodbye, they’re about to become someone else’s favorites.”

“They found a family? For both of them?”

“Yes, a lovely little couple here in Atlantic City, stable enough to adopt both children.”

“I’m so happy for you both, are you excited?”

“Absolutely!” The little boy said.

Richard kept her side, acting as though a bodyguard would. And the look he saw in this man’s eyes was fear – what he saw in everyone’s eyes that looked at him. Cecelia passed off the little girl in her arms to the man.

“Henry, it’s good to see you.” Cecelia said.

“I know, It’s been a long time since you left – you know for the big life. Who’s the mask?” Henry asked.

Cecelia looked up at Richard, “He’s with me, Henry,” Cecelia grabbed his hand, “This is Richard.”

“Mm. Hello.” Richard said with a nod.

“Hello sir.” Henry said shaking his hand, “good to see she’s got a fighter by her side, god know she needs it.”

Richard nodded again.

“We really should be going, we’re meeting the prospective parents now.”

“Oh alright.” Cecelia said. “Can you both be good for me?” both children nodded their heads.

After handing the small girl back to Henry, Richard and Cecelia began to head back to the Ritz. But not before Cecelia handed Henry the money in her hand bag. It was a large sum, probably a large amount she had saved over the last few weeks.

But as they walked away Richard didn’t feel like he could ask her why, he was relived when she interjected on her own.

“It’s for the children.” She said. “Henry and I grew up together, though we didn’t get along when we were kids. But as we got older we both grew very protective over the little children. They need better food, better clothes.”

“I Mm. Suppose I was lucky. To grow up with family.”

“I suppose you were Richard.” She was on his arm, she hadn’t brought a coat, but it was cold now and she was keeping close to him for warmth. Tonight was the night of the biggest boxing fight in history. He was glad that Cecelia’s show might lack in audience because of that.

*****

When they got back to the Ritz it seemed that it was obvious that the crowd was lacking. And in the crowd Richard spotted Jimmy Darmody.

“I’ll Mm. Talk to Jimmy. I’m sure he’s got something to say to me.”

“Oh Richard, don’t- don’t let him you know- I just don’t want him to treat you badly for something I did.”

“Don’t Mm. worry Cecelia. I’ll see you soon.”

Cecelia nodded and left him behind, he watched as she walked away. Almost more enchanting than the time before. He made his way to Jimmy who was standing at the bar holding a drink for him, bourbon, equipped with a straw. He took it, but didn’t drink it.

“I want you to come see the fight with me tonight.” Jimmy said.

“Mm. What about my work?” Richard asked.

“Everyone’s at the fight, come on. She’ll be alright for one night,”

“Mm. I suppose I should talk to her first.”

“Fine, talk to the girl, but be back here in five.”
*****

Richard knocked on Cecelia’s door. And as always she greeted him with her smile.

“Richard, do this button!” she said while turning around. He was stunned by her outfit. Her skirt was almost entirely made out of beads, and the amount of skin she showed made him jealous of the men who got to watch her. He buttoned a clasp at her back and she turned around to see what he had to say.

“Mm. Jimmy wants me to accompany him to the fight.”

“Ah, I see. Boys and their fights. Always so amusing.” She smiled.

“I wanted to talk to you, I want to make sure you’re safe.”

“No Richard, go. Go with Jimmy. I’ll be fine.”

“I Mm. don’t like they way they look at you.” Richard admitted.

“Then… go with Jimmy, and… tonight come back and I’ll give you your… own private show, yeah?” she said playing with his tie. She watched as Richard swallowed hard. She left a kiss on his lips. “Go. You’ll be late for your fight.” She said winking at him.
_______________________________________________________

Cecelia felt slightly off without Richard again. But she felt happy that she would see him soon. She took a little more comfort from a glass of whiskey, and then made her way to the lit stage.

Halfway during her performance, she froze. The private table directly in front of the stage was fitted with none other that her old friend Arnold Rothstein. She stuttered for a moment on what to do, how to continue – but she figured that if he was here to talk to her she should spend her time taking a few punches. With a signal to the band she was able to switch to a new song. One which she had written on her own, about him.

She tip-toed across tables, she could feel men prying at her feet but she was able to make it to his before she stepped onto the ground so she could whisper into his ear. Then she finished her number on the way back to the stage.

”Don’t you see that in the end… there will be nothing! Left, of, me!”

When her set was complete she found herself backstage shaking, on her knees. Completely afraid to go back to her room. She realized the crowd was particularly quiet, there wasn’t the usual shuffle. Less men must’ve meant they left quicker, meaning it would give Rothstein an opportunity.

She didn’t look back. She only made her way upstairs quick enough to maybe miss a few of Rothstein’s men. She made it to her room luckily finding it empty. She knew she should hide, at least as long as Richard wasn’t here; she had no way to protect herself without making a mess of things. She grabbed a suitcase and began to fill it with things. She threw on her dress from earlier, which was now wrinkled and messy. But her large coat would have the job of hiding it. She would go to Richard’s apartment, and wait for him there.

She stepped outside and dropped her suitcase to her feet.

She was too late.

Arnold Rothstein was waiting for her, “Creative.” He said, “The song, ‘nothing left of you?’ don’t you think that’s just a tad harsh Cecelia? I made you.”

“Shouldn’t you be at the fight? Or at least listening to it on the wire back in New York?” she asked.

“My dear the fight was over a while ago, and I won quite the sum of money.” He assured her.

“Always making bets, you never lose well do you.” Cecelia said.

“Oh you mean you Cecelia? No I suppose I was a little more than irritated when you skipped town. You could imagine how I must’ve felt when I found you here… working for Enoch Thompson.”

“I suppose that was a little jab on my part.” She said. “What do you plan on doing now? I won’t go back there, I won’t leave.” She told him.

“You will. There’s not much you can do from the back of a trunk my dear.”

“I won’t perform for you. I won’t!” Cecelia yelled.

“Oh. I assure you, I have ways of making you do what I need you to do.”

“No! You can’t!” she yelled, “Please, someone help!” One of the men clamped his hand down over her mouth so that her screams were muffled, and with a little knock to the head she was out cold – easy enough to be dragged away, back to New York City.

She was thrown in the back of Rothstein’s car along with her suitcase. While he collected the many debt’s owed to him after the fight. He felt that he had won quite a lot that night, including his prized entertainer. Thanks to Jimmy Darmody she was easy to pluck from the Ritz Hotel without anyone noticing or giving them trouble. He had dealt his hand just right – no one would ever know they were played.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally a little action! I hope you don't think the story has dragged on these last few chapters, because I know I did. The song I was puling from was sung by Marion Cotillard in the film Nine. Please stay tuned and let me know what you think, thank you!