Thick As Blood

Midnight Mornings in New York

After a couple weeks Richard had slightly given up on finding Cecelia. He had not wanted to believe what Jimmy told him. Richard informed Nucky of Cecelia’s disappearance early the next morning where Nucky was concerned. But a few days later Nucky received a call from Arnold Rothstein who had explained that his property had returned to New York, and she would be there for the rest of the year, of not longer.

Nucky believed the lie that Cecelia had willingly returned to New York after Rothstein offered her a pay raise. But Richard though otherwise. She had always said how happy she was to be away from him, and that no one could ever buy her.

Richard had returned to the Ritz shortly after the fight. But when he found Cecelia’s room empty, he immediately went looking for her near the stage.

But it was empty.

Even most of the tables had been cleaned up – her performance had ended hours ago. Richard returned to her room to find several things out of place that he hadn’t noticed the first time around. Her shoes were missing, along with several things from her vanity, but her coat was still draped on the back of her chair.

Richard had thought she must still be in the hotel, but he would’ve seen her on her way in, unless she was with someone… in their room. But she had promised to see him tonight; she would not have made other plans, unless they were important. So Richard sat, and waited for her to return, in which case, she never did.

Jimmy found him later the next morning, eyeing him carefully. Jimmy told him to go home, that he shouldn’t be waiting for some showgirl.
_________________________________________

Jimmy was concerned when he saw how lost Richard looked. Almost as if the tramp mattered to him or something. After a favor for Rothstein, he took her off Jimmy’s hands and now he had no one to bother him.

For a while he wondered if it was even worth it. Rothstein was angered, he didn’t want her back because he knew she would be too tough to handle after she had the taste of life without Rothstein in her pocket or her pants.

But after seeing the way Richard was devoted to her that night after New York Jimmy knew he’d made the right decision. Rothstein could do whatever he wanted with her – and Jimmy’s life could go back to normal.

Gillian on the other had was going to be more of a monster to convince. She seemed to cling to this idea that one of her children’s lives could be fixed, and she didn’t seem to think that was him.

When Gillian found out about Cecelia’s departure Jimmy was surprised at how east she accepted it.

Gillian blamed herself, thinking Cecelia wanted to be as far from her mother as possible. Gillian spent the first two weeks drinking herself through the day, and the rest of the month in a short fused rage. She began to vent out her anger by practicing her roles even without the others. She kept focus on work, and alcohol.

Jimmy sent her flowers, reminding her that he was the good son, he was the one Gillian should be thankful for.
___________________________________________

Richard was often at Jimmy’s house, looking for something to do. With his nights free and few shipments coming in, Richard mostly helped Jimmy with his own booze organization. Richard thought leaving Nucky was a big mistake, but he knew he’d follow Jimmy into anything. Richard owed him that.

After all Jimmy had been careful about how Richard had felt after learning the girl he’d become interested in had left for New York with the promise of more money. Richard thought he’d gotten a grasp on who she was, but instead Jimmy reminded him how wrong he was.

Richard hadn’t believe it until he heard other men talking about ‘Cici D, back in NYC!’ she was performing, she was happy, she even had that Luciano guy as her body guard, and Richard was sure that she probably treated Lucky just as she had Richard.

“I told you, she was a whore, after nothing but money.” Jimmy said. “I’m sorry Rich, it ain’t right.”

Richard sat quietly in Jimmy’s front room. He could see Tommy in the next room playing with wooden cars and small army men. It only reminded him of the two small children Cecelia had know from her orphanage – that day he had seen her with children had completed the fantasy she was to him. Whether he would ever have had the courage to peruse a life with her was another story, but now he felt cheated, that he’d never had a chance.

Jimmy handed him a glass of scotch with Richard took without hesitation. The glass was empty in two swallows, and Jimmy refilled his glass again.

“Trust me, she ain’t worth the worry.” Jimmy said.

Richard still said nothing. He was embarrassed that Jimmy had told him this the whole time. What could he do? She’d never know that Richard had grown to feel something for her. He felt so complete with her in his arms, he didn’t want to remind himself that all he could think of was her, every day, all day.

Some nights his dreams would leave him aroused, and then the rest of his day would be fed with anger. Anger for her – and how she had made him believe there was something more.

He let Jimmy refill his glass again.

With the help of the alcohol Richard admitted, “I let her… she made me believe she liked me. And. Mm. I let myself believe it.”

Jimmy shut his eyes, his suspicion was true.

“Well at least she left when she did. I guess, well –“ Jimmy paused and smiled. “we could always teach her a lesson.” Jimmy said.

Richard shook his head no. Hurting her was something he never wanted to do, he didn’t want to hurt her, he hated her yes, but that’s because he had all these feelings hidden for so long and she had stirred them up – and then left.

Richard left Jimmy’s home, leaving the car and deciding to walk.

He had burned the book of T.S. Elliot, he had washed all his clothes multiple times just to get rid of her scent. It clung to everything around him; even the smell of scotch reminded him of her and the small nips she would take before going on stage.

Walking home had become a bad idea, Posters with her face were still around town, littered on the ground, and then there she would be again, staring at him from the boardwalk with that sly smile he liked so much. He kicked on of them away and lifted his head. But now he could see the upset faces of those that saw him. He remembered that he’d gotten used to the way she say him, but now it was normal.

He decided that seeing their disgusted faces was better than looking down and seeing her beautiful one.
_____________________________________________________________

A night after the Fight

Cecelia arrived in New York after a few uncomfortable hours in Rothstein’s car. She was left in a small room at the Elysée, her suitcase thrown at her feet, and door locked. She banged on the door, the walls, the window, yet no one came.

She was alone for a few more hours before Arnold Rothstein, and Lucky Luciano greeted her warmly.

“So nice to have you back,” Rothstein said.

Cecelia spit in his face.

Rothstein took out his handkerchief and wiped his face clean. “Is that a way to treat a friend?” he asked.

“It is the way to treat a kidnapper.” She said, “Let me go!”

“Not a chance.” Rothstein said.

“That Darmody kid was dumb enough to do me a favor if I took you off his hands, luckily for me he just made sure you were easy to get to.”

“Well he doesn’t seem to like me much.”

“Yeah, I got that sense from him, I wonder why you intimidate him so.”

“Rothstein, please, I’m asking you nicely, let me go. I can’t be here anymore, I cant be in New York.” She said.

“Why… because of your father?” Rothstein asked.

Cecelia froze for a moment, looking at Arnold, then at Lucky.

“I’ll ensure your father stays in prison if you do me a little favor.” Rothstein said,

“No.” Cecelia said, “You’ve asked for that before, you can’t have me.”

“Well we’ll see if you warm up to the idea, until then, you’ll go back to your normal schedule, performances, parties, things of that sort, all at my leisure.”

“And if I don’t?” she asked.

“Just see how quickly your father gets released, and I’ll personally give him directions to this room, so don’t test me.”

Cecelia began to break down and cry.

“Rest up, you’ll perform in two nights, and there’s been a riot about you returning home, all your fans can’t wait to see you.” Arnold said, “Lucky, see to it that she doesn’t leave, and that no one comes in.”

“Of course sir.” Lucky said, “Have a nice evening.”
****

It seemed that Lucky took his time in admiring her legs from her partly torn dress.

“You know A.R. ain’t the only guy who wants you uh, how do I uh, put this lightly? Naked and underneath him?”

“Don’t Charlie. Don’t do this again.” She said.

He finished his cigarette while staring at her, not giving her any privacy to rest or to think of some sort of plan. She knew his eyes were making their way all over her and she couldn’t stand it. She ran at the door, trying to claw her way past him, he stopped her, and held her back easily.

His fist hit her face hard, and his lips began to bite at her neck.

“Charlie!” she yelled, “No get off!” she yelled again. With all the strength she had she drug her nails across his face, digging in as hard as she could. He jumped back like an injured puppy.

‘Fuckin’ bitch!” he said covering his eye. He left the room quickly shutting the door behind him. She tried the knob, he had locked it. She shook the door, it was thick, it wouldn’t budge, she was stuck – she sunk down to the floor put her head in her lap and cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this was so late, busiest work week for me ever. Wish it was longer for you. Thanks guys!