Thick As Blood

Performance at the Ritz

Cecelia awoke to the most awful sound: The crying of children. She was awake and out of bed before you could say coffee. Nucky Thompson stood before her, her nightgown was surprisingly modest for someone who teased men with their body after the sun had gone down.

“Since I did you a favor, you can watch these kids for me.”

“Nucky I-“

“No – I’ll be back in ten minutes time so we can discuss business, until then I would like to get your upset brother out of my office and doing some work.”

Nucky left before she had decided to argue. The thought of a brother had delayed her thought process for the time being. To sooth the crying children she played with them games that she had learned when she was little.

They were playing patty cake when Nucky returned. His assistant Eddie took them out of the room, and for the first time she was alone with Nucky Thompson.

“So what kind of Rothstein shit are we talking about here?” he asked lighting up a cigarette.

“It’s not like that – in my line of work, as you probably witnessed a lot of men vie for my attention.”

“Well you are very pretty, and seem to entice them quite easily.”

“Right, but it’s a game really. Harmless flirting mostly I made that mistake of playing that game with Rothstein.”

“There isn’t a game that Rothstein loses at. You play with him and you lose or get cheated.”

“Don’t I know it.” She said smiling at his relation. “Well after refusing – he threatened me, and gave me a day to think about it.”

“And? How that day end?” Nucky asked.

“That day’s not over. I’ve still got a few more hours.”

“You mean this happened yesterday?” Nucky asked. “Talk about Band-Aid method. Why couldn’t you just fuck him and get it over with?”

“I don’t find him interesting.”

“You don’t need to – his money’s interesting enough.”

“Nobody buys me Nucky. Ever. And I don't sleep with just anyone."

“Alright, touchy subject. So you want me from me exactly?”

“Keep Rothstein and any of his goons away from my show – because I plan on making a splash – and no doubt it’ll reach New York.”

“I hope it does.” Nucky could sense the look of greed in his own eyes. “Tell you what if you deliver, I’ll deliver. I had them fix you up a room downstairs near the stage. When can you start?”

“Tonight.” She said.

“You can do a two hour show tonight? No preparation?”

“My shows are different every evening Mr. Thompson, I live on spontaneity.”

“I love a girl with vocabulary.”

“I bet you do.”

“Tell you what, go on tomorrow night. Wednesday and Thursday are your nights this week. Give me a chance to publicize it. And we’ll see how you do.”

“You might want to bump me up to three nights next week.”

“We’ll see.” Nucky said looking sarcastic. “Eddie will call when it’s ready –until then.” Nucky reached into his pocket and took out an enormous sum of money. “The hotel will get you anything you like – and how ‘bout you buy a dress, on me.” She realized he had handed her nearly fifty dollars. “See the town.” He gave her a wink before leaving.
_______________________________________________

Cecelia spent the rest of her morning sipping tea and eating scones. She visited Belle Femme that afternoon and bought a simple dress – one she only assumed Nucky wanted her to have since her usual wardrobe tended to generate some attention.

But what troubled her most was that she had not heard from Tory at all that day. He had assured her that he’d at least contact her today. She wandered the halls of the Ritz hotel looking, and hoping for something interesting. She found a storage closet filled with whisky and took a bottle to accompany her the rest of the afternoon.

She wasn’t that drunk when she returned to her room to find all of her suitcases were gone. At first she thought she must be really drunk – but upon realizing she was supposed to move rooms today she left and headed for the concierge desk to find out where her new room exactly was.

She found though that she was wondering an awful lot about her brother. Someone her mother had never mentioned. Gillian had visited once a year on her birthday after she was six. But she had never even hinted at another child, and even though her absence saddened her, it didn’t hurt as bad as it did when Cecelia realized she had chosen someone over her. But perhaps there was good reason, perhaps there was an explanation.

She kept the bottle of whisky concealed in her bag as the hotel concierge summoned a bell hop to show her the club, and to her room.

She didn’t say hello back to the young boy that greeted her promptly. She was a master at reading people, especially men, she knew when to talk, when to flirt, and when to keep her mouth shut. And she knew if she responded the boy would ask her all sorts of questions – ones she didn’t care to answer.

The Ritz hotel had quite the ballroom, without so many people before she could clearly see how and where she would perform. It was convenient that there was a hallway that lead to a stair case to take her to the second floor – the more difficult it was to get to her room the better. At the top of the stairs he lead her down another hallway he brought her to a fine oak door, and handed her the key.

She politely thanked him, and handed him a decent tip from what was left of Nucky’s money. She shut the door and locked it. Her first manner of business was to pull on the locked door, she found that it rattled slightly. She made a mental note to have Tory install extra deadbolts, and safety locks.
____________________________________________

Jimmy had seen Nucky that morning on account of the fight he had with his mother. Cecelia was not the type of long lost sister he would’ve wanted. He didn’t want a sibling at all. Or perhaps he just didn’t like being lied to… that’s why he chose to confide in Nucky, and now his friend Richard.

Jimmy had known that Richard would make a good friend after the first time they spoke. Both of them struggled with the war, and both of them suffered from that detachment you get once you return. Once you spend years lying in the mud waiting to kill another fucker with a family just like you – you come back changed… and you can never be the same. So they related to each other, quite well.

“So Rich. How’d your night turn out?” Jimmy saw him fumbling with a book, one that he tucked away quickly.

“Fine. Boring.” He stated slowly. “Yours?”

“Surprisingly, eventful.” Jimmy admitted. “We were at that dinner, for Bader?”

“Yes.”

“And this… woman shows up – starts dancin’ with him, everyone loves her right? So Nuck is angry – since this was a political party and has me drag the girl upstairs.”

“Did he have you kill mm, her?”

“Nah, she’s alive. But here’s the kicker – my ma shows up, she knew who she was, her name where she was from – and then the girl looks at her, my ma, and calls her mother.”

“Was it a hm, joke?”

“Apparently not. She is my half, sister. Her name is Ceclia Darmody.

“That… hm, is mm, unexpected.”

“It’s just a fuckin’ mess, she’s workin’ at the Ritz now. Nucky thinks she can make him some money.”

“Mmhm. Will you tell her?” Richard asked him.

“Tell her what?” Jimmy asked him.

“Who you are? What you do?”

“Explain we’re killers? To my baby sister?” Jimmy laughed. Not only at the humor of the situation, but of how the words ‘baby sister’ sat on his tongue.

“She outta know what she’s getting into. Bein’ ‘round Nucky n’ all.”

“Well I didn’t know, so she doesn’t have to know.”

“Is she nice?” Richard innocently asked, hoping to find something that perhaps Jimmy could relate to.

“Bit pretentious if you ask me.”

“Well mother like daughter.” Richard said.

“Yeah I guess she is similar to ma. Nucky said she’s pretty straight foreword, smart and knows what she wants.”

“What is she then? An entertainer? Does that mean whore?”

“Dunno. A dancer I think – she sings too I guess. But I’m sure she takes check if you know what I mean.”

“Well she’s gotta’ be pretty then.”

“Yeah ma didn’t spare her good looks on me – just on her. I noticed that when I first saw her, I’m glad I found out she was my sister before my thoughts got dirty.” Jimmy laughed. He could tell Richard meant to smile.

Richard tried to laugh, but it caught in his throat, like it usually did.

“Maybe she. Mm. could be a nice edition to the family, don’t write her off just yet.”

“My family’s pretty full.” Jimmy admitted, “no room for just some girl.”

“Then don’t worry ‘bout it. Focus on New York – and selling to Rothstein.”

“That’s the one thing –“ Jimmy said, “she’s from New York. All the times I’ve been and I never knew. Hell I could walked right past her.”

“Maybe you did.” Richard told him. Richard was glad that Jimmy trusted him enough to confide in him.
___________________________________________________

A new day was beginning, Cecelia had been up all night, waiting to hear from Troy. She was keeping normal hours. Sleeping during the day, up at night. She had a performance to get ready for – but her mind was elsewhere.

She found her way upstairs – posters were printed with her nickname – Cici – and it even had the caption “stolen from New York.” She took the lift up to Nucky’s office, Eddie was easy to find, but Nucky was a different story. She had to wait for over an hour before he was finally free.

“Hey Nuck – you a heard from your guy Chalky?” Cecelia asked him, finally taking a seat in his office.

Nucky seemed to look at her quite astounded. Like something was wrong.

“Why? What do you need him for?”

“Tory, he went there last night, hasn’t come back.”

Nucky looked at Eddie, and then back to her. “There’s been a problem.” He said.

“What…? What happened?”

“A couple of negro haters shot up the place this morning when they were unloading the crates from shipment.”

“Well… Tory… he could’ve-“

“Eddie – get Chalky on the phone – let’s see if we can’t track down Tory.”

“Was anyone hurt?” she asked.

“A few men were killed.” Nucky answered truthfully. “But I will find out if Tory is safe. How’d you know the guy?”

“Same orphanage.” She said causally.

“They let a black kid grow up with white kids?”

“He was the only one. They made him sleep outside though.”

“Right, and he’s your…?” Nucky pried.

“Body guard. Hired him myself, he’s got muscle, intimidation.”

“Right –“ Nucky began but was interrupted by Eddie’s announcement that Chalky White was awaiting his call.

Nucky picked up the receiver and held the piece to his ear while holding the speaking in his hand a few inched from his mouth. “Chalky,” he began. “got an issue – a friend of mine is looking for her bodyguard, guy by the name of Tory.”

Nucky waited, and spoke little after asking the question. She had hope in her heart until she saw the look of dissatisfaction play across his face. He thanked Chalky, and the words that stung most in her ears were: “I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Look… if there’s anything-“ Nucky began.

“We weren’t an item.” She told him. “If that’s what your referring to. But I knew him well – I didn’t expect him to just disappear.”

“Should I cancel tomorrows performance?” he asked.

“No… I – Tory would’ve wanted me to perform. This was his idea.”

“You sure you’re alright to perform?”

“Yes.” She said. Cecelia could feel the stinging tears that sat at the edge of the eyelids, she was sad to lose the only constant person in her life, she had known him closely for maybe a year – now he was gone like the light shut out from a window.

She heard Eddie reenter the room, Nucky handed her his handkerchief, she turned and noticed that Jimmy was standing beside her. He didn’t look at her at first. But he kept hearing Richard’s voice inside his head ’Don’t write her off just yet.

“Nucky, I thought that we should talk, perhaps if this is a bad time…” he began.

“No uh – Cecelia was just leaving.“ Nucky stood to show her out. But Jimmy actually seeming interested in her distress halted both of their movements.

“What’s wrong?“

“Cecelia’s friend, from last night - “ Nucky began.

“Right, the big guy.“

“Well the attack at Chalky’s distillery this morning… he happened to be there.“

“Well’s he alright?“

“He was unfortunately killed this morning.“ Nucky informed him.

Jimmy’s silence was enough for Cecelia to begin moving for the door again.

“Anything I can do?“ Cecelia heard him ask. She turned to look at her brother. He was standing off center – on account of whatever ailed his leg. The smoke came rushing down his nose like a waterfall. He looked sincere.

“No, but thank you.” She told him before leaving the room.
________________________________

She told herself she couldn’t cry anymore. She had applied her makeup and wouldn’t dare to let it run. She had known Tory for a while – and she couldn’t help but feel she was alone now.

Upon stepping out of her room she realized that things were normal. She was dressed in an overly zealous outfit – as beautiful as can be. She could already hear the chatter from downstairs. The only thing she was nervous about was the lack of safety. She should’ve asked Nucky if he could help.

Worried or not, she stepped out in front of a couple hundred men. Her appearance at Mr. Bader’s birthday must’ve gotten a jump-start because she recognized him in the VIP section. Nucky must’ve done his part too – because the house was full.

Tonight was in store for a crowd favorite. Something she had done before – but something they always loved. Her entertainment only started on stage, but it soon gradated to tabletops and even Mr. Bader’s lap. If he had helped spread the word, why not reward him, perhaps he’d bring more? Cecelia did have a mind for faces, she would try to remember anything she could so the next time she’d see them she’d mention she liked the hair cut, the facial hair, the suit – it helped the persona she like to portray: That they mattered. She was so popular because she made men feel like a pretty woman paid attention to them, like she had watched them from afar, like she liked them. The act made her a lot of money – but it was a very tricky persona, one that required hired help.

Something she quickly noticed when she tried to disappear after her set was over. The crowd seemed to overpower many of the stage hands. She was only able to hide behind the stage.

“Get Nucky on the phone.” She told one of the waiters, he’d been serving drinks when he had gotten pushed down and covered in scotch.

He handed her the phone, and waited for him to pick up. She held the receiver to her ear praying he’d pick up soon. “What is it? This better be-“

“Nucky – it’s me!” she said, she sounded winded, and tired.

“Who?” he asked.

“The girl that’s making you money. You need to send someone or get down here! Because I can get anywhere.”

“How is that my problem?” he asked.

“Really Nucky? Do you want me to end up trampled! Then you’ll have a scandal, not dollars!”

“I can’t – I’m at home – I’ll – I’ll send someone.”

“Okay, do it fast because I just roused a full house and I need to get out of here. I think you’re out of booze too.”

“Out! What do you mean?”

“You were a little under stocked…” she admitted.

“I’ll take care of it.” She heard the receiver click.
____________________________________________

Nucky called the one person who could help him in this situation.

“Jimmy.” He said

“Yeah Nuck?”

“Where are you – Angela forwarded the call.”

“Yeah I’m not home. I’m in New York.”

“Well don’t mention your sister – that’ll crawl right up Rothstein’s ass.”

“Alright – what’s up your ass?”

“Well your baby sis had run into some trouble.”

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Well she’s making us a lot of fucking money-“ Nucky snapped. “But there’s a full house the guys are going crazy – and we’re under stocked.”

“So what do you need?”

“I need some fucking alcohol and fucking muscle over there right now.”

“Okay – I’ll give Richard a call, he’s probably near the truck and can bring something down.”

“Good, you outta hurry – sounds like the roofs falling off over there.”
_________________________________________

Richard received the call from Jimmy while he was unloading at the casino. Jimmy had to call three separate guys just to get a hold of Richard. Richard was surprised when he mentioned his sister.

“You want m-me to go there?” he asked.

“Yeah, you can unload some liquor and see what she needs, Nucky said it was important.”

“A-alright.” He said. “I can be there in ‘bout Mm. twenty minutes.”

“Alright, I’ll call the Ritz let her know.”
Richard pulled up twenty-two minutes later, and even he realized the Ritz as a little understaffed and very busy. Men were all over the boardwalk drunk and laughing – talking about the show. While the men brought in the liquor Richard made his way to the ballroom to find that the crowd only got thicker, one of the waiters grabbed at the box of alcohol and started to unload it behind the bar.

“She’s in back.” He said. “Good luck getting’ back there.”

Richard nodded and tried to figure how he’d make his way back there. But from taking the second floor stairs he could work his way back and down – he came out behind the stage just like he’s planned and found the girl, along with several waitresses trying to keep the men back. Richard took a moment to look at the girl in the elaborate costume with the dark hair. It was pinned on top of her head. Pieces falling across her face – she was smiling even though a thick bald man had his hand pressed firmly on her arm, he could tell her eyes read worry. Like all the men around her even he was bewildered by the amount of leg she was showing – how her skin appeared to glow.

Richard was able to make his way to the smiling girl. He placed his hand on top of the man who was pressing quire hard, like he wasn’t going to let her go.

“Ms. Darmody.” Richard said, he could see that she recognized his mention of her last name, one that most men did not know. “Jimmy sent-“

“Of course darling!” she said loudly grabbing his arm “I’ve been waiting!” Richard was slightly confused by her demeanor until he realized the man was not letting go. Richard stepped closer to her to try and put some distance between her and the man.

“What’aya doin’ she ani’t goin’ anywhere wit’ you. Don’t worry darlin’ I got ya.” The man said.

“Actually I am.” She said sternly reaching for Richards other hand, the man pulled on her possessively, Richard let his fist do the rest of the talking – the man clutched his bloody nose, and Richard pulled her away before the man had a chance to bounce back into the fight. Both Cecelia and Richard disappeared behind the stage door Richard had come from. The stair way was dim but they made their way up quickly before then were followed they could still hear the commotion from outside. She had to slip off her shoes so she could run and when she did she had to lean on Richard while she undid the buckles. She took his hand and continued down the hall, but they started to all look the same she was running down one hall, then another – finally she found the brown door, she pulled the key from her chest, fastened around her neck by a chain, she looked back down the hallway no one was near them so she unlocked the door and pulled the handle. It was locked. She wound the key again to hear the lock click – this time it was unlocked.

“It was already open.” She said.

“I can mn, wait outside here, incase mn, those men find your room.”

“I would appreciate that.” She said, this time she actually was looking at the man standing before her – she was slightly pained by the scars on his face, the bulk of his injury hidden by a tin mask. But his features seemed sweet to her, warm.

“Can I get you something… Mr…”

“Harrow,” he seemed to stuggle saying, “Richard. And no thanks, I’m fine.”

“Right, I’m Cecelia.” She said. She gave him a smile that Richard almost never received. “Thank you for what you did.”

“I’mm sorry you had to see that.” He apologized in his utterly raspy voice.

“Oh, don’t worry about me – I’ve seen worse. I’m just glad you got him off.”

“I’m a friend of Jimmy’s, I thought you should know that he sent me.“

“The brother that doesn’t like me?” she asked.

“He.. just don’t Hrm. know what to think of you yet.”

“Right.” She said.

“Well I’ll uh just be – on that couch down the hall.”

He stepped back from her, and gave her the half smile he only could. Cecelia watched him as he walked towards the end of the hallway to take a seat on the paisley colored couch.

“Thank you Richard, Really.” She said. He nodded in response to her glowing gratitude. She shut the door, breathing heavily, she began to strip off the heavy show clothing that was still draped around her body. She had gotten more than what she wanted – and she thought it was safe to say Nucky would get his money’s worth – which only solidified Cecelia’s hope about staying away from Rothstein.

Cecelia draped her silk blue robe over her delicate skin. She left her tights and corset – she needed help to get them off. She unpinned her curled hair and let the dark locks drape across her shoulders. She tightened the fastener on her robe while she threw her shoes inside the closet. She looked at the door, she felt compelled to open it and look upon the face of that curious man. But she straightened her mind on another shot of whiskey.

“You could pour me one of those.” She heard a man say.