Thick As Blood

A Flash of Madness

The Night of the Shooting:

Lucky Luciano had found Meyer Lansky and Arnold Rothstein in a slight celebration in Rothstein’s office. One which was quickly interrupted with the notice of Luciano’s stained shirt.

“What the fuck Charlie?” Rothstein asked.

“Boss, there’s a shooter, he barely missed my head too. But he got some of the others.”

“And the girl?” Rothstein asked.

“The… procedure. It didn’t go so well.” Lucky stated.

“So you just left her there?” Meyer asked.

“She was bleeding everywhere, I couldn’t exactly carry her through the lobby.” Lucky said.

“Told you not to hire that guy. He did fail outa’ med school.” Meyer said.

Rothstein rolled his eyes and asked, “Where is this shooter now?”

“He’s gotta be staying across the way. Some sniper.” Lucky said.

“Well get the girl.” Rothstein stated, “And the rest of you bring me this marksman.”

*****

Lucky and Lansky were both unhappy to return and find the girl gone. Neither was Rothstein when he found out. Realizing someone obviously made a play to take back his prized showgirl. All he could think was, Nucky Thompson. Guy always had a thing for money, and of course he would be this stupid.
_______________________

Richard felt relived finding that Cecelia had never wished to leave him. But knowing that did put a sharp thread through his heart. Knowing that he must’ve been played somehow, whether it was Rothstein, Jimmy, Nucky… he didn’t know. But every arrow kept pointing at Jimmy, his only friend. The one person he never thought would betray him, because Jimmy was lost, just like Richard.

Both men had taken arms with one another. Both wandered a bloody battlefield. Both still slept there at night, but still felt the rain on their face, both still felt the warn blood from a friend. Being back in the real world was hard, but not if you wandered it with someone just as lost as you.

Now it seemed that Richard had begun to feel the Boardwalk under his feet. The water on his face was from the spray of the ocean, and the warmth he felt was from the skin of a lover.

The only terrified thoughts he held now were those of the frightful face of Cecelia, they night they tore her open, the night they stole both their happiness. Cecelia had been back now for a whole month. Some days better than others, and today she opted to take a stroll, and then stop at the beach. Something Richard encouraged. She had several returned doctor visits, one seeming to be worst that the last. First, a simple check up, where they caught Cecelia trying to steal morphine. Which made them aware of her current drug habit, one they are still trying to fix. The second dealt with the painful removal of several uncomfortable stitches, and the last… that was the worst of them. Only a few days ago Cecelia learned that the terrible botched surgery would leave her unable to bare any further children. Cecelia cried that entire day. Richard couldn’t let her out of his sight for fear she had tucked away several syringes for an event just like this.

But eventually, Cecelia fell asleep. It was late into the night, but the way that Richard’s blue shirt smelled lightly of sweet whiskey, and how his breathing was calm and steady left her heart at ease. Letting her have a few moments of rest.

Now time had brought them here, alone on the beach. It was a sunny day, slightly warm, but the water too cold. She told Richard she loved him after he placed his arm around her. Occasionally they had these moments, the one’s where neither of them remembered the bad things, and they could only recall each other.
__________________________

Arnold Rothstein had been busy for these past few weeks dealing with the mess left in Cecelia’s old room. And her whereabouts still seemed to be unknown. Jimmy Darmody knew nothing about her, Nucky Thompson shortly answered on the subject, also feigning ignorance. He however knew that it was only a matter of time before she was in public again, only a matter of time before someone recognized her.

It seemed that in the time of prohibitions, all restrictions were coveted, even those of glorious dancers. If men desired it, they would fight over it, especially if it made the cardholder a lot of money. And Arnold Rothstein new how to play his cards.
__________________________

Jimmy stopped by Richard’s flat one more time before he was about to give up. Each time before this one, Richard had only opened the door once, but the brief chat they had became heated, and Richard hadn’t opened the door since. This time it opened before he could even knock. And this time it was Cecelia who answered.

“Richard’s not here.” She said.

“I.. I can come back later.” Jimmy said.

“No, why don’t you come in, I made tea.”

Jimmy stepped inside, slowly, but cautiously. “Never drank much tea.”

“You’ll get used to it.” She said.

Jimmy sat down in an uncomfortable chair at Richard’s desk. This place was small for two people. But they had functioned in it for weeks now. Jimmy noticed once more the burn marks on her feet, but the rest of her features were now in competition. Her sunken face wasn’t glowing like it did before, her once beautiful features men craved were diminishing before his eyes. She was no longer so desirable as he had once thought, she looked broken, it was obvious.

“Look, I shouldn’t stay.” Jimmy said standing.

Cecelia handed him a cup of tea, it smelled of burnt herbs and floral perfume.

“He’s hurt you know. He knows you’re the reason I ended up there.”

“How are you even sure of that?” Jimmy asked.

“It’s it obvious big brother? You’re not that hard to read.”

“Well I’m surprised you can read at all.” Jimmy said.

“Well our mother was always big on seeing us educated.” Cecelia muttered.

Jimmy clenched his teeth and dared to ask, “and your father?”

“He was much more stern about other types of education.”

“And if you didn’t learn?” Jimmy asked.

“Oh, I think you know Jimmy Darmody.”

“Is that how you got those burns?” he asked.

“My father’s the reason I’ve got a lot of scars Jimmy. And now a few are because of you. What is it with men in my family?” she asked.

“Don’t think you’re so different, we’re all fucked up in this family. Everyone of us.” Jimmy said.

“Then I suppose Jimmy, that you and I are more alike than you care to think.”

That statement made Jimmy cringe. Because perhaps she was right, and he shuddered to think how right. He was still standing as Richard walked through the door. Richard stood there, looking at him, all the more menacing with only half a face.

Cecelia took his bag from him, placing a sweet hand against his face, assuring him that she was alright, and that he should be too.

“I came by to warn you, A.R. is looking for her. He’s talked to me, Nucky, and god knows who else. Just… just wanted to give you a heads up.” Jimmy said.

Richard nodded and looked away from Jimmy’s stare. Jimmy placed the cup on the table and walked towards the door, before stepping out Jimmy muttered, “I’m sorry.”

It took Richard only a moment before he slammed Jimmy against the wall. Fists balled against the collar of Jimmy’s coat.

Richard was so angry he could only manage to spit out, “you… hurt her.”

Cecelia pushed Richard away from Jimmy. Jimmy quickly left and Cecelia shut the door behind him. She had to take Richard’s clenched fists and fit her palms inside before he started to calm down. This had been bothering him for weeks, his own close friend, trying to hurt him. Jimmy was more lost than Richard thought, and for a moment, Richard saw no hope for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Again, this was long awaited. The new Mibba sort of freaked me out to be honest. I will do my best to navigate correctly and post adequately. I'm thinking of finishing the story up soon, not soon soon, but we're nearing the last part. Thanks for reading and favoriting, and subbing even though I haven't updated in so long. Thank you guys, so much!