Thick As Blood

A Sort of Sadness

With time passing quickly together, soon Richard went back to working for Nucky. Money was an issue, visiting the hospital had exhausted Cecelia’s savings, and Richard had little money as it was. So together they watched for opportunities. Cecelia thought that she could get a job baking bread, but Richard refused to let her tire herself out – he worked as he could, and hated leaving her side.

Both were now content with their feelings for each other. Richard no longer feared her rejection, because after she got better – she stayed. He didn’t even ask her to, he just came home to her each night and realized that she was going to be there every time. He protected her, and he would die for her… she knew that.

On this particular day, Cecelia chose not to listen to Richard’s advice, and at least help him in some way. She picked up his suits from the cleaners, found fresh produce… and that help wanted sign in the window of the bakery teased her so.
________________________________

Jimmy was still trying to run his own business. He was still closely mixed with Lansky and Luciano – something Richard was glad to be away from. But the tension between Nucky and the others was widely felt. Jimmy and Richard rarely crossed paths, but when they did Richard promptly left, as to not try to strangle him.

Nucky and Richard were leaving a storage house to return to the Ritz. Counting crates and bottles had left them tired, and Richard was happy to retire for the day. And… while casually stopped in the street, Jimmy Darmody walked in front of their car.

Nucky noted the tension.

Richard gripped the steering wheel tighter. Jimmy tipped his hat and continued on. He looked more pale than usual, almost sickly.

“I thought you two were friends?”

“Mm. No.” Richard said.

Nucky raised his eyebrow, understanding all too well what Richard must’ve meant. It seemed that Jimmy had disappeared from everyone at this point.

“I hear his girl was killed. Found dead in their pretty home.”

Richard felt his heart singe. Angela, that sweet girl, caught up in this – and Jimmy didn’t even have the decency to protect her. Apparently Jimmy was colder than Richard had even thought – first he failed to protect his own flesh and blood, and now his wife. Didn’t he see what he was getting into?

Richard drove Nucky home, and left to walk home from there. Finally getting to his apartment fairly late.

Richard tried not to panic when Cecelia wasn’t there. He wasn’t so much worried about her being out, rather than her just not coming back at all. He loved her, and he didn’t want to lose her. He paced back and fourth trying to think of some place she might be – but only the thoughts of who could’ve taken her, popped into his head.

Just before his paranoia was about to make him burst down the hallway, guns loaded, she came waltzing through the front door. A scarf over her head a brown bag in each arm. Richard first felt relief, and then anger. But as soon as he stopped her and embraced her he felt sound again.

“Richard darling, I’m so sorry, I know it’s late, I hope you weren’t waiting long.”

“No. Mhm. Just. Worried.”

“I know, it’s late. I’m so sorry.” She told him. “I got caught up shopping, went a little too far into town so it took me longer to get back.”

“It’s alright, as long as your safe. Mm. no one tried to. Mm. hurt you?” he asked.

“No. I’m just fine. A bit sad though. I miss being back there, the heart of town, an audience, something fun.” She said.

Richard thumbed her chin and jaw line. Her face, though still pretty, was lacking a light it used to have. It didn’t change how he felt about her, but it saddened him that she saw it too.

“I know. Mm. You could come with me. tomorrow, mm. And see Nucky. Maybe that’d help?”

“It might.” She said smiling now. She appreciated it when Richard did little things just to see her smile. She turned for a moment to put down the brown bags she carried but then returned his embrace. Holding him, hugging him tight. She was getting caught up again, in the way he smelled. This time she could smell Nucky’s cigarettes, but the soft fabric against her face… his steady breathing. She missed this. The feeling of belonging, and feeling safe.

She had fallen for Richard before, and now she knew she was never getting back up. She looked up at him, took off his mask, and gently kissed him.

Now this, was something she missed.

With passion lacking for the last few weeks, she enjoyed this moment were she had forgotten all about New York, Jimmy, her ordeal. If she just focused on Richard, things were okay. Better than okay.

She pushed back his coat and threw his hat to the floor. He was hesitant to embrace her, but he pulled open her coat and he felt her press against him, like he was a want, or a need.

Slowly pulling each other’s clothes off was more than a game, it was a tease. Cecelia kept her smile, and Richard gained one. Quietly they stood, undressing each other, letting clothes fall to the floor as they explored one another’s body like it was the first time. Cecelia, finally naked, took advantage of the distraction she caused to Richard – she traced several of his scars along his face. Wondering if she looked the same on the inside. The scars radiated sadness, but his one eye and smirk told her that something happy had finally begun to grow inside him. She leaned forward and kissed the scar on his neck while he let his hands roam over her shoulders and down her chest.

His tender touch gave her chills, upon seeing the bumps on her body, Richard quickly picked her up and placed her beneath their bed covers, he quickly joined her to keep her warm. For the longest time they lay there, kissing one another’s face, smiling, the occasional giggle. She could feel him pressed against her, he was so hard, but not doing anything, only kissing her.

Then she realized, he was waiting for permission.

She quickly reached down and pushed back on his torso so he would move to just the right place… and when he gently pushed into her – she could only breathe his name in a shallow breath.
________________________________________________

Cecelia awoke to sunlight warming her skin, and next to her the man she loved. She quietly dressed and cooked them both breakfast. Richard joined her, still smiling. They spent their afternoon talking with one another like they used to late into the night. Richard had work tonight, and intended on keeping his promise on taking her to the Ritz to visit with Nucky.

She hadn’t gotten out much at all since coming back from the hospital, and now that she was finally looking happy; he wanted things to stay that way. He watched as she enjoyed getting a little dressed up, twirling about in a navy blue dress that Richard quite liked. She fitted it with a white hat, and blue gloves, and off they were again, just like before.

She enjoyed the Boardwalk even more than she ever had. The treats and fun things to see had her running every which way, but she continued on so as not to make Richard late.

Richard brought her in the back entrance, and then took her to Nucky’s suite. Richard had already informed him of what had happened in New York, but left out the part about Jimmy. Nucky wasn’t the least bit surprised when he learned that Rothstein had simply taken what he wanted. Cecelia’s show was a huge business asset, and frankly any town she performed in did very well in revenue.

Nucky greeted Cecelia with open arms, wholeheartedly understanding that what she went through was terrible. While he went on secretly hoping that if he played the nice guy, she would chose to work for him again.

Richard attended to business downstairs while Nucky and Cecelia chatted. He just needed to unload a truck and re-route some liquor to a few restaurants. Easy work, but harder when the sheriff ain’t so nice anymore and with competition in town.

Speaking of in town, Richard nearly smashed a bottle of whisky to the floor when he saw the clean cut Arnold Rothstein waltzing through the hotel lobby. Blue suit, red bow tie, silver cane, it was obvious he had plenty of money – meaning he shouldn’t have needed Cecelia.

Richard clenched his fists and shoved them in his pockets while he made his way to the elevator. Rothstein wouldn’t be far behind him, he took long steps once out of the elevator, letting himself into Nucky’s office – leading him to the sight of Lucky Luciano and Jimmy Darmody.
♠ ♠ ♠
A litte short for being apart for so long. But I got a lovely comment the other day, and I really just wanted to make that person happy by writing a little. I won't ever leave a story unfinished, but inspiration isn't always friends with me - and sometimes I'm just too busy. But I love these two characters, I hope you're ready for what's coming up! A dark part of Cecelia's past will be revealed in the chapters to come.

Also, I think I will finish my stories on this site, and then move everything to ff.net. Cause the new mibba site blows. Takes too long to load and is very very very poorly made. Sorry.