Thick As Blood

A Past of Pain

Richard looked at Lucky, then back to Jimmy. Jimmy looked rugged, tired, and drunk. They way he looked was unsettling, Richard couldn’t predict what he might possibly do. Jimmy was about to say something when Arnold Rothstein burst through the doors, causing Jimmy and Lucky to become startled.

“So there you are lucky, looking quite friendly with Mr. Darmody here.” Rothstein said. “Ah-“ Arnold noticed Cecelia now, she was sitting on the sofa, where Richard had left her. Her hands, slightly shaking, but a strong look across her face, Richard knew that look. “-My pride and joy… hidden away… here. I have to say, these last few months have not been kind to you.” Arnold said looking down at Cecelia.

She shot him a glare, she didn't care very much for his comment. She watched as Richard readily stood, his hands in his pockets, but she could tell he was seething. Any chance to hurt Rothstein or Lucky, the men responsible for hurting the ones he loved.

"Look, we can't have any trouble." Nucky said.

"And I agree Mr. Thompson, I simply came here on business matters, concerning Jimmy Darmody. I just didn't know there would be such a happy reunion."

"This isn't a reunion, Ms. Darmody here isn't working for me or Atlantic City, simply a social visit, and I should see that she be going now. Richard would you please take Ms. -" Nucky was interrupted.

"Oh, I don't mean your reunion, or mine for that matter." Rothstein said. He snapped his fingers the two men stationed at the front entrance opened them wide to let in a man. He was wearing a black suit with gray accents, and black bowler hat and had a cigar in his hand. He took a large puff as he stood next to Rothstein. Cecelia didn't need to wait for the smoke to clear to see who it was - the all too familiar smell was turning her stomach over and over - she was ready to vomit.

She saw that Rothstein was carefully watching Cecelia. Her features stayed strong, except most of the color was beginning to drain from her face. The revolting disgust she felt was so immense she wanted to grab one of the guns near her and shoot her father before anything else was said.

"It's good to see you kiddo." he said in a deep husky voice. There was a scar on his neck from a man who had tried to kill him in prison. Tried to kill him because he knew what had been done to his little girl. It made other people sick too. Not just Cecelia. It seemed that the only people in the room who knew what was going on were the three of them. Everyone else managed to display a heavy look of confusion whilst looking at one another.

Rothstein kept quiet, a small smile on his face – he took pride in showing his power.

“Ah, a father daughter resemblance, wouldn’t you say? Or does she look more like Gillian?” Rothstein asked the group.

Jimmy was most perplexed, seeing another one of his ma’s old boyfriends – he looked sharp, like he had money, charm, something Gillian was always drawn to. But Jimmy knew that talk of him between Gillian and Cecelia had never faired well, that he’d done something, something bad.

The tall man teases a cigar with his teeth eyeing Cecelia like Richard has seen night after night while she danced at the club. He didn’t like it one bit. When he stepped forward with open arms to welcome his daughter, Richard swiftly stepped between them. Cecelia’s hand reached around Richard’s arm in gratitude.

“Mr. Harrow, you are intervening in a long awaited family reunion, I beg you to step aside.” Rothstein said.

“Didn’t know I’d get to see my girl today, it has been a long time, I would very much like to hug her.”

“Mm. I won’t allow it.” Richard said.

Rothstein laughed.

“Don’t tell me… Cici darling, this is the man you’ve so carefully chosen to share your bed with?

Luciano laughed, along with the rest of Rothstein’s men.

“You’ve had senators, rich men, handsome men, begging for your attention – and you chose to entertain some veteran with no money and half a face?” Rothstein asked.

Cecelia’s hand gripped Richards arm tighter. Then something she didn’t expect happened, Jimmy stepped forward, next to Richard.

“Look Arnold, let’s go about our business, and let the love birds leave. We don’t have time for no reunions.”

“I agree Mr. Darmody. I am perfectly fine with catching up with you sister later.”

“Sister? Didn’t know Gillian had another kid.” Dan said.

“My bad, Mr. Thompson, Charlie, James, this is my old friend Dan Herringston – he has a notable relation to Cecelia here.”

“We can see that.” Nucky said.

Dan stepped towards Cecelia once more, Jimmy took a step towards him.

“Richard, take my sister somewhere safe.” Jimmy said, looking back giving her a reassuring look.

Richard pulled her aside around Rothstein’s men and back into the hall elevator. Richard was seething, but determined to keep her safe. He was thankful Jimmy backed him up, because he wouldn’t have let them hurt her, but that meant problems were sure to arise when there were many guns against his one.

Cecelia was still frozen, incomplete in thought and unable to let go of Richard. He was frightened to see the face he thought they’d gotten rid of. She was sick, and scared and Richard only wished for her to be happy. He couldn’t bare to see her become addicted to the pain killers, inaudible, depressed.

“You know, I’ll Mm. Protect you. Always.” He said to her.

She looked at him, still afraid. “Would you kill him?” she asked.

“I would. For you. Mm.”

Cecelia realized the morbid request she’s made. The killing of men was barbaric, but she knew Richard was not unaccustomed to delivering death. It was a skill he cherished, and he had kept her safe by exercising that skill. She reached up and kissed him, grateful that she would never have to face that man alone, and that she had Richard. He seemed almost too quick to jump in front of her, to die for her.
________________________________________________________

Richard rented a room, across town. Pricey, but he felt that their apartment was no longer safe in case someone decided to tell Rothstein or Cecelia’s father where they were staying.

She sat on an old couch drinking tea from a chipped cup. He felt useless unable to give her the lavish things she had once become accustomed to. He tried not to let spoken words bother him, but after all he was a broke veteran. She deserved better.

“Richard.” She said. He was standing in the window, keeping watch on passers by.

“Mmhm?” he mumbled looking at her.

“Would you sit near me?” she asked.

Richard took one last glance out the window and drew the shade before he sat down next to her. She curled against him, still sad.

“What’d he do. Mm. To end up in jail?” Richard asked her.

“State will say Tax Evasion.” She said, “but it’s because that’s all they could charge him with, he’s guilty of a lot more...”

“Mm. He hurt you.” Richard stated.

Cecelia began to cry, “I was so little.” she choked out. “No one wanted to help me or no one could. He’d beat me on several occasions, and eventually grew a taste for more… unfavorable actions.”

Richard held her next to him.

“I won’t let him hurt you again. Mm. I can find him. And I will kill him.”

Cecelia sobbed once more into his shoulder. Her hand’s shook from fear, but she clutched to a man she wasn’t afraid of, he was dangerous, but she loved him.

Richard had decided killing this man was the best thing to do. It meant it would be difficult considering the man’s dealings with Rothstein, who was incredibly powerful – but if that’s what she wanted done, Richard would not hesitate to give it to her.

But the funny thing was Richard found himself rationalizing, “Cecelia wants this, it’s business, it’ll avoid problems.” When in reality, it drove him insane to think Cecelia was hurt – again, at another time were he couldn’t protect her. And this man was sure to die – not only because Richard loved her, but because he would not stand for her to get hurt again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I get so busy and take too long to update. I would be a frustrated reader, I'm so sorry, I'll try to do better. Please enjoy this chapter, and the new episode!