Stolen Identity

Stolen Identity: Chapter 4

Katie and Amy, over the days that followed their meeting at the coffee shop,managed to book flight tickets and pack their suitcases on the sly. Amy started school in a couple weeks, so Katie decided the sooner the better, and more importantly, she felt like she had waited enough to uncover her past.
It was an understatement to say that she wasn't sleeping well, Katie thought to herself. There were some nights, where she could didn't sleep a wink, he mind filled with dozens of unanswered questions. What does my mother look like? My father? Does she have blond hair like me? Did they know where she was? Who adopted her? There were harder questions,too. Questions she didn't want to think about, but questions she could not ignore. Why did my mother give me up in the first place? Did she not love me or was she poor and couldn't keep me? Does my father know I even exist? Am I a child of a rape? A one-night stand? Those were the questions that were the most responsible for keeping her up. Thinking about them made her stomach hurt and her head spin.
All the time: days, minutes, and hours, all seemed to blend together in an odd disarray, and before Katie realized, it was the night before they were to leave.
Katie lay on her back, arms tucked behind her head as she stared up at the ceiling of her room. Amy lay on a queen-sized air mattress on the floor. Neither of their parents knew that they were going yet. Katie planned on leaving her parents a note with the number for the international cell phone she and Amy had bought in case of emergencies. Hopefully, there would be none.
"Amy," Katie said into the darkness, "do you really think that we can find my birth parents? or at least my birth mom if my father doesn't even know I exist?" She was surprised to hear her voice choking off at the end of the question.
"Katie," Amy's voice came, "I promise, I'll do my damnedest to reunite you with your parents, even if it takes a year."
She was surprised at the fire in her best friend's voice. She wanted to say something. Tell her what that meant to her, but all she could think to say was, "But, Amy, you have school in a couple weeks. You can't blow that off for me...."
"Don't worry; it probably won't take that long, and even if it did, you're my friend. Friends before frats... or sororities...."
Katie groaned, wiping her hand down the side of her face. "Amy no. Please no cheesy jokes now. I don't think I can take them at the moment." She paused. "But really, you can't blow off school for me."
"Watch me."
"Amy!" Katie shouted a whisper. "Amy! Amy! A-MY!" but her friend had apparently fallen asleep.

They awoke early the next morning at 5:15. If getting out of the house had not been a stealth-oriented operation, Katie wouldn't have been able to to it as effortlessly as she did.
Their bags were all ready to go. All they had to do was get dressed and get into the car.
Amy was in the car before she was. Katie felt the pen shake in her usually steady hands as she wrote on a pale yellow sticky note: Mom and Dad, I'm sorry I have to do this behind your backs, but Amy and I are going to Russia. I'm not saying where, because I don't want you to follow. I'm going to find my birth parents. Love you both. Sincerely, Katie. She added her and Amy's phone number, and gently placed the pen down on the counter. She only felt the tiniest prickle of guilt as she slipped her flip-flops on and closed the front door silently behind her.

The airport wasn't very busy at the time they arrived, which was at about 5:30. Katie was glad that with all the added security, they were still able to get onto their flight with little hassle at the security check point. The metal detector went off once, because Amy forgot to take a hairpin out of her hair from the day before. Katie wanted to get into the air as soon as possible. She kept checking over her shoulder, half-expecting her parents to come barreling around the corner to stop her and to take her back home. Or worse - follow her there. Amy thought she was being ridiculous, and truth was, Katie knew she was too, but she'd never done something like this before, and especially not without her parents consent.
But crazy or not, Katie did not relax until they were on the plane and it was pulling away towards the runway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Also available at http://luv4lionheads.deviantart.com/