Status: The lack of capitals is a stylistic choice, not because I don't know how to use a shift key.

Shahadah

follow me to this righteous land

he asks if you believe and you laugh. you laugh because what kind of a question is that, anyway? you believe in plenty of things. you believe the earth is round and the universe is ancient. you believe the stars won’t always shine and the world will someday burn. you believe we are the sons of stardust and the daughters of evolution and the children of everything we could ever be but never will.

you believe that we are good but sometimes we do terrible things. you believe the worst thing we can do is let others believe they are worthless. you believe the worst thing we can be is lonely. you believe we all die alone, in the end, isolated and afraid in the endless dark.

you believe in a lot of things, but when he asks if you believe in him you can only laugh.

no, you say, then, fuck, yes, i don’t know. you laugh again, bitter and sweet. trick question. how can you believe in the impossible when all you have is a feeling so flimsy it falls to pieces at the slightest tug?

he sighs. he sighs and you feel it in your bones, the exhalation of knowledge and wisdom and age, stretched over an eternity of existence. you wonder how he bears it, sometimes. all that wonder. all that pain. you couldn’t. you couldn’t do a lot of things he does.

i, you say, and he waits patiently for you to finish. you inhale, holding the breath in your lungs and the words in your mouth and the faith in your heart, and when you look up your eyes are clear.

he smiles, and you exhale.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really don't know what this is, but it helped. Inspired by the wonderful, beautiful, crazy talented Isa.