Status: Finished.

Twisted Symphony

Sweet.

We were in front of Johnnie’s house. As if the ride there wasn’t intimidating enough. The houses just kept getting bigger and bigger as the neighborhood got richer and richer. Johnnie is an upper-east side boy, he always was one. He went to the best private schools from kindergarten to eight grade and now he goes to a prestigious private, shirt and tie, arts school here in the city. I wish I went to an arts school instead of a normal high school, nothing crazy, just a school that’s different and focused on what I want. I took a deep breath in and looked at Johnnie.

“You’ll be fine. I promise.” He smiled sweetly. He took my hand into his and walked up to the large, oak, overbearing doors and rang the door bell. A smiling blonde came to the door and she looks like a carbon copy of Johnnie.

“Sarah’s been waiting for you!” There’s a diamond ring and a wedding band on her finger.

“Sorry,” He smiles. “Francesca, this is Gabrielle. Gabrielle this is my sister.” He motioned stepping into the house.

“So you’re real?” she laughed lightly.

“It’s great to meet you.” I chimed.

“Oh, you’re too sweetie, but what is a sweet girl like you doing with my baby brother?” She joked. Johnnie gave her a warning of a look.

“Don’t get your boxers in a bunch John.” She teased. “Well, the house is rather large and there are people everywhere so feel free to make yourself comfortable.” She said warmly and retreated down a hall, her blonde pony-tail bouncing behind her.

“Does everyone in your family have blonde hair?” I whispered.

“Pretty much,” He laughed. “I mean there are a couple of gingers and brunette’s in the mix, but not too many. You’ll get use to it.” He squeezed my hand comfortingly. “Francesca is married to Tim. He’s a husky blonde with rosy cheeks and a loud personality, so get ready.” He whispered.

We turn the corner into this huge living room, All the floors are wood and marble and I feel like someone has stuck me into an old episode of the Nanny meets Annie. A bunch of people are laughing and talking, but Johnnie attracts a lot of attention and I let go of his hand. I don’t know how these people are, I don’t want to offend anyone by seeming to touchy feely.

“He’s not the bubonic plague, you don’t have to jump away from him.” Another blonde that looks like Francesca smiled, walking up to us. I can feel my cheeks burning hot.

“Evangeline, she’s nervous enough. Okay?” He cautioned. Thanks Johnnie, I can’t handle myself or anything. Boys.

“Sorry,” She smiled. This family is so happy. “I’m Evangeline, Johnnies sister. I hope I didn’t offend you.” Her engagement ring glistened on her finger. No wedding band in sight.

“You really didn’t do anything wrong. Johnnie just has no faith in me. I’m Gabrielle, nice to meet you.” I joked.

“I like her, Francesca! You were right.” She yelled. It seemed like the house was so big that te message could go in any direction.

“Right?” I heard Francesca yell back from god knows where. “I bet you’ll keep my little brother in his place.” She winked.

“I’m not a piece of property!” Johnnie retorts.

“Do I hear that whip finally cracking?” A deep voice came up behind us. And a guy messed up Johnnies hair. I turned to see him. Oh my gosh, this carbon copy thing can work to my advantage. I’m looking at Johnnie in ten years right now and he’s smoking hot, maybe even hotter. In ten years he’ll still be gorgeous and a little more filled out.

“Logan, come on man.” Johnnie said fixing his hair. “Gabrielle, this is my brother, Logan.” Johnnie grumbled.

“Is that anyway to introduce me to your girlfriend?” Logan laughed.

“Well, you’re the one that started the conspiracy theory that she didn’t even exist.” He folded his arms over his chest.

“Sorry Gabrielle, we just can’t understand why you would choose him, considering he described you to the T.” Logan smiled.

“Tool.” Johnnie spat.

“Calm yourself, kid.” Logan said ruffling Johnnies hair before walking away.

“Let’s go meet my parents, my guess is they’re in the dining room.” He pulled me away through rooms of Fancy furniture, large paintings and marble floors, and people, lots of people.

“What if they don’t like me?” I whispered.

“Everyone loves you so far, even Evangeline, so you’re safe.” he said soothingly.

“Mom? Dad?”

He stops in front of two more blondes. His Mother had brown eyes and his father has blue ones. Ladies and gentlemen it’s been confirmed, not a day will go by in Johnnie life where he will be seen as unattractive. Even his Dad is good looking, he looked like he should be on the cover of a men’s health magazine. What is up with this family?

“John! So glad you could make it!” His Mother enveloped him in a hug.

“Johnnie, boy.” His Dad smiled Johnnie’s same smile and gave him a pat on the back.

“I want you too to meet someone.” He motioned.

“Oh my gosh, John she’s real!” She whispered to her husband.

“Oh my god! I believe we have made it clear that she exists! Is this game of telephone really necessary?” Johnnie said exasperatedly.

“I apologize on behalf of the entire family.” His Dad laughed, holding out his hand for me to shake it.

“Really, it’s fine. It’s not like I don’t have a sense of humor.” I said jokingly.

“I like her.” His Dad points at me approvingly.

“Oh honey she’s beautiful,” his mom gives me this welcoming smile. “I’m sorry Sweetheart, I didn’t catch your name.” she leaned forward.

“Oh, it’s Gabrielle, It’s great to meet you.” I smile.

“Well, it’s nice to meet you too. I’m Lucy and this is my Husband John,” She motions towards him.

“Go introduce her to Grandma.” His Dad instructed.

“Dad…” He half pleaded. Was she the Godfather?

“John.” He took on a low tone and looked at his son.

“Fine, come on, Gabrielle.” He grabbed my hand and led me to a room full of music and small children in princess dresses. Then I saw this adorable little old Lady sitting in the corner with a little girl on her lap. The little girl jumped off the woman’s lap and ran towards Johnnie.

“Johnnie! You came!” She squeaks and her two little pixie blonde pigtails bob in the air.

“I promised didn’t I Sarah?” He picked her up and she snuggled into him, giving him this huge bear hug.

“Who’s that?” she whispered, cuddling tighter into him.

“That’s Gabrielle.” He smiled at her.

“Oh she’s really pretty.” She perked up.

“Thank you.” I laughed.

“Why wouldn’t she be?” Johnnie furrowed an eyebrow at the animated five year old.

“Well I thought she was pretend,” she whispers loudly. Johnnie ran his fingers through his hair.

“Let it go.” I said, touching his forearm calmingly.

“Do you want to take us to Grandma?” He asked.

“Okay!” She squirmed out of his arms and hoped down in her big pink dress. “Grandma!” She smiled.

“Yes sweetie?” His grandma has an Irish accent.

“Johnnie is here with his pretty, almost pretend girlfriend. Gabrielle.” Sarah announced.

“Hello there John.” She smiled. He walks over to her and gave her a hug. She kissed both his cheeks.

“Hi Grandma.” He smiled sheepishly.

“Oh, John! She’s a beauty!” His Grandma went vivid with excitement.

“It’s fantastic to meet you Mrs. McNally.” I smiled.

“Aren’t you the sweetest little thing?” She eyed me. “Oh, and please just call me Rosie, it’s short for Rosemary.” She smiled giving me a hug. “She’s lovely, John.” Rosie smiled and her eyes wrinkled.

“Sorry,” Johnnie said nervously, stalking away.

“For what? You’re whole family is amazing!” I pecked his cheek.

“Cooties!” Sarah shouted.

“I remember cooties.” He smiled.

“Yeah?” I raised an eyebrow.

“I never had them.” he winked.

“Johnnie, play with me!” Sarah shouted, pulling him into a game of ring around the Rosie.

“Sorry!” He yelled before being pulled away.

“It’s okay,” I’m thirsty anyways.” I pointed into the other room.

I took in his lavish home, and it’s simultaneously warm walls. How many girls had done this before? That question hadn’t bothered me as much as the next. Had Kayla been in this very spot? Had she been introduced to the family as something more than a friend? Had she walked around here with her near perfect smile, and sickly sweet laugh?

I didn’t want to care. I didn’t want to wonder, but my mind just kept wandering farther than I wanted it too. There was nothing I knew about Johnnie that she didn’t know first. She was his best friend, she knew his every detail. She knew him, and he knew her. It wasn’t like Adam and I. Adam was never in love with me, and I never in love with him. We had shared our secrets, but still I wondered if I knew everything, and if I even wanted to. Adam and I had never kissed. Adam and I were never so deeply intimate. Adam and I had never been in lust.

There had to be a moment when Johnnie had considered it. There had to be a time where Johnnie fathomed, even in its slightest, a relationship with Kayla. I couldn’t blame him. She wasn’t terrible. She was sweet when she wanted to be, she was desperately in love with him. For a moment I wondered how deep his feeling for her were; right now, or at their highest points. I wondered why she gave herself to him so easily, and contemplated why he returned to her. He had options, they both did, but

I tried to wrap my mind around the pair of them, and then I tried to unraveled the thought of the pair. I felt my stomach churn. I told myself that I didn’t care about Kayla’s feelings, but I did. I watched as Johnnie swept through the living room with Sarah in his arms. She broke into a fit of giggles as she grabbed clumps of his shirt.

It would have been completely unrealistic to think that love in all its radiance hadn’t burned between the two. Where was that love now? I smiled as Johnnie waved to me, swinging Sarah over his shoulder.

“Come on, Gabrielle! Play with us!” Sarah reached out to me as Johnnie roared and threatened to eat her up.

“I’ll save you, Sarah!” I grabbed for her small hands and Johnnie held his grip.

“Hurry, before he takes me to the dungeon!” She shouted.

“What are his weaknesses?!” I shout playfully.

“Can’t you see? He’s green and scaly!” She tugged at the now messy, sandy blonde hair on his head.

“Oh my goodness!” I widen my eyes and paint a look of terror on my face.

“Hurry! Get the chocolate cupcakes! He can’t live without chocolate cupcakes!” She pointed to a table of perfectly organized cupcakes.

“Not if I eat you first!” He begins to tickle her once more.

“Noooo!” She wailed. I took two chocolate cupcakes and ran after Johnnie. Sarah motioned for me to smash it onto his mouth.

I came up in front of him and hesitated for a moment before aiming straight for his mouth.

“Sarah!” Logan called, with a present in his hand. Logan looked between the both of us. The reminisce of a chocolate cupcake in one hand, a good one in the other, frosting splattered on Johnnie’s face, and Sarah thrown over his shoulder. He began to laugh before sliding Sarah away from Johnnie. She grabbed for the present and Logan held her in his arms.

“For the princess.” He smiled and motioned towards the box that Sarah held so tightly in her hands. “From your favorite brother.” He teased.

“Okay.” Sarah giggled.

“I thought I was your favorite brother on Friday’s?!” Neither of them were really her brothers, they were her cousins, but she didn’t want to know the difference, because she had never felt it.

“You can have Tuesday’s.” Sarah decreed.

“That’s my day!” Logan interjected.

“You can’t monopolize the whole week!” Johnnie protested as Sarah fell into a fit of laughter. They entertained her.

“You’re both my favorite!” She shouted before pointing towards the foyer, Logan her chariot.

“You’ve got something on your face.” He smirked before turning away.

“You’re family is amazing.” I smiled as we walk towards the table and I grabbed for some napkins.

“I’m lucky.” He nodded. “My face will still be sticky with those.” He pulled me towards a hallway, where we looped back into the deserted kitchen. It was littered with catered food trays, empty cups, and half eaten plates of food. Sarah had begun opening presents in the dining room. He opened a drawer and took out a small, square dish towel.

“Let me do it.” I took the towel from his hands ran it under the tap, putting a dab of soap on it.

“You should. You made me this way.” He pointed to his face teasingly, a grin nearly lingering on his lips. I felt myself shaken with laughter. “Oh. This is funny?” He pulled me towards him by the waist, his back against the counter, his eyes focused on me.

“Hysterical, actually.” I dabbed at his cheek. Some circumference I covered. “Too bad we had to waste a perfectly good chocolate cupcake.” I shrugged. Before I could turned my face, he pushed his face cheek, then my mouth.

“No!” I protested weakly.

“You don’t sound convincing.” He kissed near my mouth, then my lips. I kissed him once more before pulling away. I was all too aware that this was a family function. There were children who still believed in cooties, everywhere.

I felt his gaze on me as I carefully wiped away the chocolate from my face, then his. I felt a warmth run through me, a peace, of some sorts. I wipped away the last bit of chocolate before looking up at him, his hands both gripping the counter. I could so easily count the flecks of gray in his eyes from where I was standing.

“What are you looking at?” The right one had more than the left.

“You.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy the bliss. It won't last forever :)

I love every comment and you have no idea how much they mean to me :) Thanks so much! I also hope you come to love EYES WIDE SHUT (my other story) just as much. <3

-Lady Love