Status: Finished.

Twisted Symphony

Partners.

“Would you want to come to my house for dinner tonight? I’m getting all these requests to see you again and then we got in this fight and everyone thinks you’re done with me. They also said I deserve it, but let’s not get into that conversation,” He smiles.

“Sure.” I laughed as we crossed the street to a diner.

“I’ll pick you up after your piano class. 5:30?”

“Mmm.... 6:30.” I corrected.

“Why the extra hour? You already sound awesome, you don’t need the extra help.” He nudged me.

“I have a project. I have to co-write a contemporary piece. It’s really hard. We have such different styles.” I shook my head.

“Jill?” He smiled.

“Justin. He’s in our music theory class. You know him.” I shrugged.

“Oh…him.” I could hear it in his voice. He was not okay with it.

“You trust us right?” I squeezed his hand.

“Of course. Justin…isn’t exactly my friend.” He said nervously.

“I know. He told me you slept with his girlfriend last year.” I said it because I wanted him to know that I knew.

“But-“ He began.

“I know. You didn’t know she was his girlfriend. He told me how she never told you they were together.” I shrugged.

“Okay. As long as you know.” He looks like he’s having a stroke on the inside.

“It’s okay. I don’t care.” I did.

“As long as you’re sure.” He smiles weakly.

“Yeah. The past is the past.”

__ ___ ___

“I bet if you just switch the two notes it’ll sound better,” Justin pointed at the paper on the music stand.

“You think?” I didn’t believe him. We had been arguing about this one stupid note forever. “Fine,” I sighed, erasing the note I had put. I gave up.

“If you don’t want to, forget it.” He leaned back in his seat, pushing his light brown hair out of his eyes.

“We’re not going to agree. Just do whatever you want,” I pulled my hair back into a mess bun.

“Let’s just take a break. Okay?” It’s 5:50 and we’re sitting in practice room D. We had been there for ten minutes, and we’d been arguing for seven of those minutes.

“I’m sorry, we’ve just got really different styles.” His golden hazel eyes flicker to his back pack, and he pulls out a granola bar.

“It’s alright.” I sighed. “We should compromise. I mean this shouldn’t be this hard.”

“Just breathe,” He laughed, taking a bite of his granola bar.

“Yup.”

The door to the practice room shots open and Professor Higginson was standing there. He’s the one that paired us up, the one that put us together in this room. He had this look on his face, like he knew we’re failing.

“How’s my dream team?” He grinned, his vibrant aged eyes glowing. He had to be at least sixty-five.

“Terrible.” I mumbled.

“I know what I did with you two. I know it’s hard to combine both of your styles, but if you execute this assignment successfully I truly believe it will push you both to the next level.” He nodded.

“I’m not so sure Professor.” Justin smirked.

You two just need a common ground. You need to find a way to appreciate each other’s unique styles.” His jolly red cheeks burning.

“But, Professor!” Justin protested.

“No. I know what I’m talking about. You two are like the… the Romeo and Juliet of piano symphony. Like the Ken and Barbie, Cinderella and Prince Charming! Made for success! Once you two fall into sync I can’t think of a more successful duo!” What sort of comparisons were those? Terrible.

“Yeah right.” Justin snorts.

“You know what you two need? You need to musically bond! You can’t just sit in a room and expect something to happen!” He nods, agreeing with himself.

“I have these tickets. I was going to use them for myself, but I think you two need them more than I do. Two tickets to Ivory Keys this Friday night.”

“A piano bar?” I didn’t get it.

“It’s the best kept secret of New York! I promise, you two will come out of there with new eyes. A need found appreciation for the other’s style.” He grinned from ear to ear.

“You can’t force us to give up our Friday night outside of class.” Justin grinned triumphantly.

“Fine. It’s a class requirement then! I know the owner, and if he doesn’t see you two there this Friday night, you fail.” Why was he still smiling? Could he do that? Was it legal?

“What? You can’t do that! What do we fail?” He added.

“Everything.” He chuckled.

“You can’t do that!” I pointed out.

“I would never do that, but can both of you afford a double zero?” He winked. “Enough of this, you’re wasting your creative energy! Regroup on Saturday, fresh from Ivory Keys!” And then he walked out.

“He’s crazy.” I push myself away from the piano.

“Well, See you Friday.” He shrugged. “Old guy’s off his rocker.” I heard him mutter.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry. Things have been crazy. I'll be writing more. Enjoy!