Status: Finished.

Twisted Symphony

Hardly Forgotten.

We had all too quickly become an endless spiral of deception, lying to everyone, but ourselves. We had gotten really good at it, but my conscience was slowly slipping. I was starting to forget who I was hurting. We had succumbed to constantly sneaking around, memorizing Kayla’s schedule, and working around it. And when I thought about it, I realized how pathetic it all sounded. It was easy to forget that we were even sneaking around, and sometimes that made me feel worse.

We were in my room, so easily molding ourselves around Kayla. Johnnie hated doing it, but I just had too much pride. I couldn’t do it. Every time I tried to muster up the courage to tell Kayla she reminded me how infatuated she was with Johnnie, and every once in a while she convinced me that she loved him, but every time she did, she looked pathetic. I felt sorry for her.

I watched as the knob twisted. I couldn’t figure out what Kayla was doing home so early. It was twelve o’clock at night, but still early for her. Johnnie’s eyes went wide, and I push him off of the bed, motioning for him to hide underneath.

“No!” He refused, already halfway under the bed. The door swung open, Johnnie under the bed.

“What was that?” She laughed dropping her keys onto her desk.

“I…um fell off the bed.” I began to rub my side.

“Oh. I had so much fun tonight, but I have plans for breakfast, really early tomorrow.” She yawned.

“With who?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Johnnie, hopefully.” she smiled.

“What?” I heard Johnnie mumble.

“What’d you say?” She turned to me.

“Oh!! I said what do you mean?” I kicked underneath my bed aiming for Johnnie.

“Well I miss him, and I’m pretty sure he misses me too.” She bit her lip.

“Really?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“NO!” Johnnie hissed from underneath the bed.

“Huh?” Kayla threw her hair into a pony tail.

“Nothing.” I played dumb.

“Oh. You know I just don’t get it? Why wouldn’t Johnnie want me? What did I do to him? What did I not do?” She shrugged.

“Maybe he doesn’t want you like that anymore?” I suggested.

“I know. Maybe he wants a bitch. Kind of like you?” The worst part is I don’t even think she’s trying to insult me.

“Excuse me?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Well no offense, but you know what I mean. You’re a bitch to him and he likes it. Like a game.” Silence.“ Anyways, I’m going to go take a shower.” She disappeared into the bathroom. The second the shower starts Johnnie jumps up from underneath the bed.

“I don’t know what she’s talking about. You know that right? She’s insane.” He looked towards the bathroom.

“ I believe you, but you still have to go.” I ushered him out.

“Why?” He breathed.

“Why do you think? You know how this is.” I motioned between the two of us.

“Yeah, this is bull.” He says pulling me in and hugging me.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” I say reassuringly.

“We could tell her.” He suggested.

“Johnnie.”

“We could. What’s the worst that could happen? What is she going to do? What could she possibly do? There’s only a couple of weeks left to the program anyways.”

“I can’t.” I shook the thought away.

“I can.” He retorted.

“No. You’re not the one that has to live with her, I do. This whole New York thing hasn’t exactly been easy, and the last thing I need is for Kayla to turn into some sociopath.”

”I don’t get it, Gabrielle. I just don’t.” He shrugged. “We don’t have that much time left, and the last thing I want to do is waste it on sneaking around. Kayla isn’t even worth it.” He looked at me earnestly.

Time was passing faster than I had thought, and most of me knew he was right, but none of me wanted to admit it. We were running out of time.

“You’re right.” I nodded. “The summer is going to end soon. And that’s all the more reason to not say anything. No use in ruining a good thing.” I could thought leaving my mouth, thoughts that I had no intention of speaking on.

“What?” His eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

“It’s just three weeks, Johnnie.” I look towards the bathroom to make sure the shower was still going.

“And then?” He leaned against the door, searching me for an answer.

“Let’s just enjoy the summer.” I plastered a reassuring smile on my face.

“Don’t do that.” He shook his head in refusal.

“What?”

“I know that tone.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I invented that tone, Gabrielle.” He smiled condescendingly.

“It’s been a long night.” I breathed.

It’s not like I wanted to hurt him, but I wasn’t going to lie to myself. At the end of the day we were just kids messing around. And in three weeks there was a chance that I’d probably never see him again. He’d be here in New York, and I’d be in Illinois.

"Fine." I watched as his fingers curled into his palms, his figure confidently striding away from me.

Fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Some much needed Drama. couldn't get you guys too comfortable. Thanks for subscribing!
Feedback please.