Status: Patience, young grasshopper, is a virtue.

Seize the Day

breakfast

Pete Riles was having a very pleasant dream. Though he couldn’t tell exactly what it was about, he was sure he was loving it. There was a girl. Yes, a girl. But she was sitting in front of a window with sunlight streaming through it and he couldn’t see her face—nothing but her silhouette and her shimmering golden hair.

He didn’t know how, but he knew that this girl was an angel. There was no way she couldn’t be, the way the sun surrounded her and made her glow. Pete ached to see her. To touch her.

The girl approached him, straying from the bright light. The closer she got, the more his heart pounded, the easier he could make out her face. Until finally she was just a breath’s distance away and he could count the freckles painted across her nose.

She was gorgeous. Of course, Pete had known this all along; but no imagination could conceive her beauty. His own heart beating against his ribs just to get closer. He watched her blue eyes sparkle—God, did they sparkle. Watched the way her soft-looking, perfectly pink lips curved into a smile.

“Peeeete,” a voice next to him groaned and the dream has vanished from behind his eyelids.

His muscles clenched at being thrown into the morning so suddenly and relaxed satisfyingly. It took him a moment to open his eyes and adjust to the Sunday morning light. Once he did, he was an angel stretched across his chest, her golden hair encircled her like a halo. His wife, Adela.

“What?” he muttered back and rubbed his eye with his knuckle. A yawn ripped through him.

Adela yawned too, hers sounding much more delicate. “Do you want to go to church?”

His arms tightened around her and pulled her thin frame closer to his chin. “Not particularly. Is that bad?”

“I don’t want to either,” she confessed sleepily. They both laid there and listened to one another breathe for a moments time. Pete smiled down at his wife, enamored. “What were you dreamin’ about?” Adela asked.

“You,” he replied automatically, his grin reflected in his voice.

She laughed lazily. “What’re you buttering me up for?” Adela shifted around until her head was cradled in the crook of his neck. “I dreamt I was pregnant with Allie again. Goodness, do you remember how terrible I looked?”

“As I recall,” Pete said, smiling, “all of those other pregnant ladies were jealous of you. Hell, you hardly look pregnant at all—just like you had a beach ball hidden underneath your sweatshirt.”

She laughed loudly and the happy vibrations of it tickled his neck. Pete wondered if his wife really knew that everything he said to her he meant. He was not a man to waste words.

“I was only nineteen,” she reminded him unnecessarily. “I better have looked better than all those thirty-year-old mommas.”

Adela sat up and Pete watched her stretch. He had to admit that ever since they were teenagers, one of the things he loved most about her was that she slept in her bare minimums. In that body of hers…even after almost twenty years he would still fall in love again every day. Not that her appearance was the foundation for his affections—but that, and her addiction to cuddling, made for some very nice nights.

She snorted and looked over her shoulder at him. “I guess it doesn’t matter. I forgot to set the alarm anyway.”

“What, we missed it?” Pete sort of felt guilty for not attending church. His ma and pa had always tried to raise him to be a good Christian and he’ll be damned if he dared to disobey their word.

“Yeah. On the bright side, I’m sure it’ll be in town next week,” she teased. Her crystal blue eyes were sparkling again.

He smiled. “I love you.”

Adela beamed back at him. Within seconds, she was back on top of him, kissing the life right out of him. “I love you too,” she purred against his lips.

Pete didn’t discuss the topic further, even though he was sure that his love was greater. She was his wife, and every time he was near her he felt like a lovesick high schooler again. And as if that wasn’t enough, she had given him a daughter.

“Do you think Allie’s awake?” he murmured.

Adela kissed his cheek. “I seriously doubt it. You know that girl will sleep in till we drag her out of bed ourselves.”

Pete chuckled and brushed some of her hair behind her ear. “Yeah, says the girl that refused to answer her phone on the weekends unless it was afternoon.”

She grinned back at him, a cute dimple appearing in her cheeks. “I can’t help it Pete. A woman needs her beauty sleep.”

“Aw, you don’t need any beauty sleep,” Pete contradicted. “You were beautiful anyway.”

“That’s ‘cause I had my sleep!” she retorted gleefully, her laughter filling the room. “I’m serious, Pete Riles, what are you buttering me up for?”

Pete decided to go along with it. She was not a woman who easily believed a compliment, no matter how heartfelt it was. But he swore to himself that he’d convince her of the truth before his time here on earth was done. “That maybe my gorgeous, wonderful wife would make me pancakes for breakfast.”

Adela kissed his nose before hopping off the bed and dancing towards the closet. She tapped her chin ponderously. He thought she looked so damn cute standing there in her bra and panties, looking like a kid faced with a whole menu of food to chose from, it was almost contraband. “What to wear…” she mumbled to herself.

“How ‘bout what you’ve got on?” he called to her, smirking.

She stuck her tongue out at him jokingly. “Leave me alone.”

“You’re sexy!” he tried again, grinning hugely.

Adela threw her head back and laughed, looking more beautiful than ever. “Shut up, Peter John Riles before I come over there and teach you a lesson.”

“Promise?” he teased.

Adela marched right back over to that bed and over to her smirking husband, crashing her lips to his passionately.

Breakfast came a few hours later.
♠ ♠ ♠
I reaaallllly hope you give this a shot. It's not like the other stories here on Mibba (at least, not that I've come across), so I understand if you're uncertain. But stick with me! I'll try to keep it as unboring as possible. =)

BTW, I hope this wasn't too mushy for you.