Status: Patience, young grasshopper, is a virtue.

Seize the Day

fight

Alex was a good kisser, Allie thought. Really good, actually, which said something considering her experience in the department. It wasn’t sloppy or too wet and he wasn’t trying to eat her face. Plus, he could feel his hand sneaking around to hold the back of her head. She wasn’t sure why, but she adored when guys cradled her head like that.

“Do you have a dorm here?” she breathed against his lips.

Alex’s breath was getting increasingly faster. “Yeah.”

“Hey, dipshit, what the fuck are you doing?”

They both turned around to see Kelly staring at Alex, looking pissed. Allie stood up and Alex followed suit. Kelly wasn’t too happy to see her grab Alex’s hand and pulling him in the opposite direction of her shitty friend.

“C’mon,” Allie whispered to him, “just ignore that guy.”

Kelly jumped down the steps and walked really close. “Allie, we’re leaving.” He stared evenly at Alex as he said this.

Both boys looked very angry. Which is normally is cause for concern when alcohol is involved, but it made it even worse that Alex towered over Kelly. That made Allie feel uncomfortable. Kelly was a fighter.

“You’re the friend, huh?” Alex said. His voice was a lot deeper and more threatening than it had been a minute ago.

“Yeah, I am. So you better back the fuck off her.”

A lump filled Allie’s throat that was impossible to swallow. She very much did not like the tension clogging up the air. She quickly switched sides and tugged Kelly away from the scene. There wasn’t going to be a fight if she could help it.

It had started to work. Kelly must have been very intoxicated, because it was fairly easily to manipulate his feet in the direction she wanted.

Yes, it was working perfectly. Until Alex called after them, “What, you’re just going to let him take you away like you’re his bitch!” Kelly tugged his body against Allie but she fought harder. “She came on to me! Maybe you need to train your bitches a little better, bro!”

At that, Kelly yanked his arm out of her grip and rumbled back towards Alex. And punched him in the face.

“Kelly, goddammit!” she shrieked.

If Kelly’s punch had hurt, it was nothing compared to the way Alex’s fist pounded into Kelly’s face. He stumbled backwards and tripped over his own feet. Allie could see the blood pouring out of his mouth and coating his chin with crimson.

She stepped in between them and shoved Alex harshly. He hardly moved. “Leave. Him. Alone.”

“If he wants a fight, I’ll give him a fight,” Alex roared and pushed her out of the way. He crouched down and assaulted Kelly’s face with punches that didn’t cease. It was all Allie could do to scream and try to push him off.

“Stop it!” she screamed. “Someone help!”

Thankfully, some frat boys listened to her pleading—or maybe they were just expecting an incident like this—and they pulled Alex off Kelly. It took two guys to restrain him, and even then he still got in a couple of kicks.

She didn’t give a single fuck to where they carried him off to. She rushed to Kelly side and got down on her knees.

He groaned from the ground. The grass surrounding him was the same color was his face—blood red. “Oh my God,” she whimpered. “Kelly? Are you good to get up?”

Allie wasn’t sure what to do. She had never been in an incident like this. What if he couldn’t get to his feet? She would have to call the ambulance. Her bones felt like they were liquid, and not in a good way. She just wanted to throw up.

Kelly slowly made his way to his feet. Allie helped in the only way she could think of, and put his arm around her shoulder. He leaned his weight on her, and together they slowly made their way to their car. She hadn’t realized she was crying until a sob got stuck in her throat.

When they finally made it to the car, she set him in the passenger seat. She wasn’t sure how to even get home, but she knew there was no way she could drive.

She dug the key out of his jean pocket. “It’s going to be okay,” she assured the both of them.

“I’ll drive,” Kelly muttered.

She wiped away the tears and snot from her face. “Shut up,” she said, and her voice cracked, “you can barely talk. Much less drive.”

He groaned weakly. “Just…go.”

Allie wasn’t sure if she could drive either. It was hard to see when she was crying so profusely. “J-just b-b-buckle up,” she wept.

Kelly actually cracked a smile. “Yes, ma’am.”

She began the drive back. Only, instead of going back to her house, she went to the hospital. When Kelly noticed the detour, he immediately fought back. “No fucking way. Just take me the fuck home.”

“Y-you need to go to t-the ER, Kelly,” she reasoned. The drive was fairly long and it had given her time to calm down. But she was still shaken.

“I feel fine,” he said and looked her straight in the eye.

“You’re a shit liar.” She stared back at him. “And your nose is broken.”

She parked the car and walked to his side of the car to help him out. His blatantly refused her help and it took a minute for him to get out by himself. “God, you’re an asshole,” she muttered. Kelly caved on walk inside though and let Allie support his weight again.

“You can drive my car home,” Kelly mumbled to her softly. “I’ll find a ride.”

Allie sat him down and looked him right eye. “I’m not leaving you.”

*


”I think I should go check on her,” Adela said. She chewed on her thumb nail. “She probably hates me.”

“All teenagers hate their parents,” Pete reminded her. “She’ll forget it ever happened by tomorrow, I guarantee.”

“I guess…,” Adela mumbled. “Still. I feel guilty.”

Adela tried to be like her own mom as little as possible. The woman was a walking rulebook. Walk straighter, don’t chew gum, and tie those shoes better. By graduation, she had been so ready to leave her house. And maybe she had been a little too eager to grow up, hence the child at age nineteen.

Adela reasoned to herself that Allie was probably asleep or talking on the phone, and she didn’t want to disturb her.
♠ ♠ ♠
TWO SUBSCRIBERS.

Image

...but no comments.

Image