Status: Feedback motivates me.

Balance Beam

Chapter Twelve

“In fact, I could probably get you that interview too,” she said.

I’ve never seen Giselle so uncomfortable. You could tell by her body language that she did not want to talk about it. Perhaps, she didn’t even want to help me. I’ve mentioned needing this interview to her several times within the past week, I’m sure. Why did she wait all this time to tell me? I could ask her questions later. I needed to get this interview.

“Please, I really need that interview. Can you give me the directions or his number?” I asked as I pulled my phone from my pocket, hoping to get some information on Mr. Veneratio. He sure did not want to be found.

Giselle shook her head and made eye contact finally. “It’s not that easy. I would have to meet with him privately first. I can try my best Bram, but it might be a little far-fetched.”

It was my turn to shake my head, to tell her she was wrong. I had to get that interview. I would at any cost. “Giselle, this is very important. Do you think we could go there now?”

“Bram,” Quinn spoke up. I looked over at him and he shook his head at me. “Give the girl a fuckin’ break. We’re having some drinks now. If she feels like going afterwards, then she can.”

I sighed and nodded, putting my phone back into my pocket. Quinn took charge and ordered everyone another round. Giselle spoke up and said that she wanted a few shots. Great, I made her feel so uncomfortable that she’s switching to straight liquor. Way to go, Bram.

I looked over at her, admiring her features. She truly was beautiful with her milky skin, long red hair, and her Italian curves. I always found it a bit cute that she was Italian yet she was so pale. She was like a goddess. The thought of the kiss we shared crossed my mind and I found myself smiling softly at the memory. When I looked over at her once more, her green eyes were looking back at me. How could someone so beautiful and pure-looking possibly know Aroldo Veneratio’s whereabouts?

Unless she’s a vampire.

I quickly finished off my drink and asked Quinn if he was ready to go. “No, not really man,” he said arching his eyebrows. “What about the interview? I thought we were going to check into that later?”

I waved him off. “Forget the interview,” I looked at Giselle and gulped. “Just let me know if you can get it or not. I’m sorry for rushing off like this. I don’t feel well,” I half-lied. My stomach was turning at the thought of Giselle drinking blood.

All three of them stared at me as I babbled. Janis and Giselle exchanged looks. Were they aware that I knew the both of them were vampires? Was I in danger now? Was this a trick? Whatever it was, I really didn’t want to know. All I knew is, I wanted to get the hell out of there and fast.

I went to pay for the drinks, theirs included. Quinn was talking to them still, obviously paying more attention to how Janis looked than doing the math about these broads. I could imagine him apologizing for my odd behavior, more than likely blaming it on the booze and me being stressed out. Whatever he said, it must’ve worked because the both of them greeted me with sympathetic smiles.

“Hope you feel better Bram,” Janis said, nodding her head in my direction. I nodded back and thanked her.

“It was nice to meet you Janis, nice to see you again Giselle,” Quinn said. He was mingling too much for my liking tonight.

“You two have a good night,” Giselle smiled warmly at us. I forced a smile and turned to leave.

Once we were outside, I prepared to hear it from Quinn. He was going to question my odd behavior and call me on my not feeling well bluff. He’ll bitch about how I ruined it because him and Janis were getting along so fine. He’ll ask why I wasn’t worried about the interview all of a sudden. He will throw a complete fit and I’ll have to put the pieces together for him.

“What the fuck was that all about dude?” he asked lighting up a cigarette. I decided to do the same, even though I wasn’t much of a smoker. Quinn furrowed his eyebrows when I asked him for one. Nonetheless, he let me have one and I lit it, enjoying the nicotine.

“Aren’t you wondering how these two know Aroldo Veneratio?” I asked. We had walked a couple blocks but flopped down on a bench to enjoy our smokes.

Quinn shook his head. “No, I didn’t give it too much thought. I was too busy trying to get to know Janis,” he glared at me. I couldn’t help but shoot him a grin. Focus, Bram.

“Aroldo only associates with vampires, Quinn. Only vampires know where he is and where his bar is at. Those two are vampires!” I exclaimed quietly. Quinn was silent as he thought it over. I took a deep drag, almost causing myself to go into a coughing fit.

“You really think so? They seemed so….” he trailed off unable to find the proper word. I got what he was saying though. They fit in so well.

I nodded my head yes. “I’m telling’ you, they have to be. Either that or one of them is fucking him. Which one do you think it is?” I asked as I stubbed out the tobacco.

My best friend’s lips turned up into a goofy grin. “Or he could be fucking both. Lucky bastard,” he laughed as he flicked the remainder of his cigarette.

I shook my head at him. Leave it to Quinn to make a joke when you’re telling him the girl he was just hitting on is a vampire. But what he said could be true. What if Aroldo Veneratio is fucking both of the girls we like? If I do get that interview, perhaps I should ask him.

“Seriously Quinn, what should we do?” I asked. I’ve never had a friendship or anything further with a vampire. It seemed rather sudden since a couple weeks ago I didn’t even know they existed.

He shrugged. “I dunno dude. Maybe we should ask them if they are or not, instead of making assumptions,” he suggested. I agreed. That did sound like a good start.

“In a public place, of course. That way they can‘t kill us,” I added. Quinn laughed as he shook his head at me.

“I wonder what it’s like having sex with a vampire.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “She’ll probably end up killing you,” I said shoving my hands into my pockets. It was cold out tonight. You could tell it was going to be a bitter winter.

“I doubt that. But yeah, I guess we just wait to see if she can get you that interview or not. Then we can ask if they are or not. If she can’t get you the interview, I doubt she’s one.”

“How much do you want to bet?” I asked, half-jokingly. Quinn waved me off and nodded his head towards the liquor store about a half block from where we were.

“You know I don’t gamble. You wanna make up for cutting our good time short and buy a case of beer?” he asked with a shit-eating grin plastered on his face. I nodded as he lit another cigarette.

“Yeah I got you,” I said as I opened the door. “Just be ready to play some fuckin’ video games.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Pretty much all dialogue. I honestly don't like this chapter.

I prefer to write in Giselle's point of view.

Don't be a silent reader! :)