So Contagious

Being near him.

The beginning.

“You dropped something.”

I turned to see a tall man with strikingly white-blonde hair standing behind me, holding a white piece of paper. I smiled, a little embarrassed. It was the phone number of a muggle man I had just run into. He had asked for mine but of course, I didn’t have one.

I didn’t really know how I was going to use it, anyway, but I took it from the blonde man. He was dressed sharply, in an all-black suit.

“Thank you. It’s… a phone number. Do you know how I use this?”

He chuckled. “I imagine you’d need a phone. Did you meet a muggle in there?”

He gestured to the market. “Yes, he was lost. I don’t know how he got in here, but I showed him the way out and erased part of his memory. I don’t have a phone.”

He reached over and took the paper out of my hand and crumpled it up. “Neither do I. Can I buy you a drink?”
---
In the past year of my life, I had not laughed as much as I had sitting in that café across from Draco Malfoy.

It wasn’t that either of us were funny. We didn’t crack jokes. We didn’t tell the best stories. We just enjoyed each other. He was fun to talk to and definitely fun to look at, and I just entirely loved being near him.

“Oh, crap, I’ve got to run. I’m going to be late for dinner with my family.”

I started to stand up, realizing how entirely late I was for my family’s regular Sunday dinner.

He stood up with me and followed me to the door. “I would walk you home, but I’m an hour late to an event.”

On some level, this made me happy. He could have said something an hour ago, but waited to mention it until we were leaving and it was really too late.

I smiled at him. “Oh, I’m sorry. You’d better go.”

He put his hand on my waist and my smile faded out of surprise as he bent down and kissed me on the cheek.

“I’ll see you soon, Rose,” he whispered.
I didn’t know at the time what he was about to put me through.