So Contagious

Permanent.

He opened my bedroom door slowly. Before that, I hadn’t even known he was in the house. Draco never knocked, or announced his presence, and rarely did he even acknowledge the fact that I had roommates.

Then again, they didn’t acknowledge him or enjoy the fact that he had a key to the house and to my bedroom. Eventually, I had grown tired of getting to the door to let him in. He was there every day. He was with me nearly always. I wanted him to have the key; not just out of laziness, but because it really did mean something to me.

He pulled the covers up and sat down next to me, leaning up against the wall with his eyes closed, and an odd grimace on his face.

“What’s wrong?”

He sighed and sank down, grabbing the duvet as he did and yanking it up over his head. He rolled on his side towards me and finally, after a moment of silence besides his deep breathing, peeked an eye out at me.

“I have to tell you something.”

My breath caught in my throat and I sank down next to him.

“What’d you do? What happened?” I asked. With Draco, my mind always seemed to instantly prepare itself for the worst. The first time I ever saw him upset, I thought someone died or he lost his job or he had an incurable illness. Turns out, it was just a really bad day and he was just stressed out. If ever he went a whole day without finding me, I assumed he was either dead or wanted nothing to do with me.

I always had an odd feeling that he was temporary, even though I wanted him to be so incredibly permanent.

He shook his head, as much as he could lying down. “I didn’t do anything. Nothing really, I guess, happened. I just have to tell you something.”

We weren’t touching. Our bodies were so close but no part of him was touching me on the bed. We shared a pillow, and a blanket, and a surface, but no contact.

“Well tell me. You’re killing me, darling!”

He closed his eyes for a moment. I wondered if somehow, even if he wasn’t touching me, he could hear or feel, or just anyway sense my heartbeat,

“Rose, I just want to tell you that I love you. I just want you to know that I’m totally in love with you. That’s all.”

That’s all. I just had to laugh. He reached forward and wrapped his arm around my waist, pressing his body to mine.

Love was permanent, wasn’t it?

I wrapped my arms around my neck and, quite embarrassingly, tears started seeping out of my eyes slowly; I could not stop them.

“Why are you crying?” he asked.

I smiled and laughed a little more. “Because I love you too, and I had no idea you felt that way, and I’m surprised and so happy.”

The look on his face was one of honest shock. “You do?”

“Love you?” I replied, mirroring his shocked expression. “Don’t be daft, of course I do. You’re my favorite person of all the people. My favorite thing of all the things. My favorite, best, most important anything.”

He kissed my nose. “Don’t ever stop feeling like that, please.”

I held him tight in my arms, feeling his heart beat on my chest, and I knew I had no choice; I could never stop feeling that way.