Shattering Glass

chapter one

Trouble was a word Alice Chriss-Montgomery encountered often. 'You're in a lot of serious trouble, Alice' they would say. She would roll her eyes and buff her fingernails against her leather sleeves, aloofly. They'd shake their heads in disappointment, searching her eyes desperately for any sign of remorse. There was none. It was silly in the opinion of most to suggest there ever would be.

It wasn't that Alice was an inherently bad child, but she was most certainly meddlesome. If there ever was a tricky child, Alice Chriss-Montgomery was her, anyone would agree. Alice was a cheeky one, the wild card, the one to watch - Alice was a challenge.

The Montgomery's were aware of this when they took her in as a young adolescent. There wasn't a ward the two had ever failed – victory was virtually guaranteed, their confidence was not misplaced. Something was different when it came to this child however, everything it seemed was different with young Alice - they were facing a tactical genius, disciplined in her craft. Alice was the expert at her game. She'd sweep you up -quickly, agilely- and before you knew it you'd find yourself bound on a one-way track to failure. Only then would she silently sweep in and collect her rightful win.

Alice was a winner at her game, her little game revenge. Unfortunately for the family, life wasn't going to be quite so quaint and quiet any more. Alice, it turned out, had much vengeance to glean.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image