Status: great amazing

Bad Boy Best Friends With Good Girl

forever and ... not always?

Anna was typically Asian. She had that long black straight hair and the pale complexion, not a pimple in sight. She was oddly pretty, her eyes strangely big and doe-like, but no one at school really talked to her. She wasn't exactly what people would call 'outgoing,' but it wasn't like she didn't have friends either. She was in the middle of the social chain: known but also not known. I didn't really know anything else about her. But then again, what could I say? It wasn't like I talked to her everyday.

Throughout the evening, she kept looking at Ethan with such an adoring gaze that made me want to puke. I was surprised that Ethan was even tolerating it; usually he would lash out and tell the girl to leave him alone. This made it painfully obvious that Anna was also considered 'special' to him. It made my stomach feel even more uncomfortable.

"So. Would anyone like dessert? I made fresh cookies today," I smiled, continuing my scarily nice façade. Anna hadn't seen through it yet, but Ethan had and he was clearly spooked out. Whenever I acted like this, there was something seriously wrong and once we were alone, all hell would break loose.

After all, I never baked anything. I cooked, but never baked. Ethan seem to pale more and more at the second. If I ever baked cookies, that meant there was something definitely wrong.

Before Anna could agree, Ethan pulled me by the sleeve and into the hallway. Looking at me with a nervous gaze, he asked, "Are you okay? You never bring out the cookies unless there's something seriously wrong."

I continued to smile and waved my hand, shaking away his question. "Of course everything's okay," I said, smiling sweetly. "Why? Is there something bothering you?"

He gulped then, knowing that something was definitely wrong and he was the one that probably caused it. "Um. If I did something wrong today, I'm sorry? Just … just don't act like this anymore. It scares me."

I laughed out loud, finally coming out of my façade. "Wow. That's probably the first time I've ever heard you apologize so quickly," I sarcastically.

He smiled back at me at the remark, relief washing over his face. "Good. You're normal again. I can sleep peacefully tonight."

"Shut up. Like anything can keep you from having a good night sleep."

He looked at me innocently, but he knew what I had just said was 100% correct.

"What am I going to do with you?" I asked, shaking my head. There was a genuine smile on my lips though and I was in much better spirits as I walked back to the living room where Anna was still sitting.

"I don't think I introduced myself yet," I said to Anna, as the three of us settled down on the coach. "My name's Taylor, but everyone calls me Tay."

She nodded, glad that I seemed a little friendlier than before. "Anna," she returned the greeting. "Thanks for letting me stay for dinner."

I laughed. "No problem. Lasagna is Ethan's favorite so I cook it a lot. Next time we have it, I'll have Ethan invite you." Now honestly, I really wouldn't miss her if she didn't show, but I had already initiated the conversation and I might as well go through it as a good hostess.

"I'll be glad to come."

The rest of the night followed this pattern. I would say something polite, trying to liven up the conversation, and she would reply just as politely. In the end, we were still as extremely awkward as we were in the beginning and I eventually gave up trying to think of something to say. During this whole entire time, Ethan hadn't spoken a word.

Finally, much to all our reliefs, the clock struck nine.

Anna stood up first. "Well, it is getting late and I think I should get going now."

I nodded, glad that the awkward evening was finally over. "Until next time then."

I stood up and started walking towards the door, expecting her to follow me. Instead, I see her tap Ethan on the shoulder and ask him if he could please bring her home. I almost snorted out loud at that question. Ethan never was the gentlemen. Basically, he didn't walk any girl home. There's no way he's going to say yes, I thought.

However, I saw something that I had never seen him to do in my life. He actually AGREED! Not believing my eyes, I blinked. This was not happening. Was Anna really that important to him? And plus, Saturday nights were when we hung out. It was like a ritual now. And he was breaking it for a girl he just met?

I wanted to grab him by the arm and shake him. What the hell was going on with him? In fact, I almost did, but at the last moment I changed my mind. Why did I even care that he was walking a girl that wasn't me home? It wasn't like I was jealous or anything. He was my best friend. Why would I feel jealous? Forcing a smile, I opened the door as they headed outside.

"Sorry about this," I heard Ethan mutter as he passed me. " I'll come back later."

Ignoring him, I just waved one last time and closed the door.

Great, now I wasn't going to get a good night sleep.

When Ethan came at night, I was already asleep. I didn't hear him climb through the window or kneel next to my bed, watching me sleep. I didn't hear whisper, "I love you," in my ear.

And I certainly didn't feel him kiss me softly on the lips before leaving.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment