Sequel: Let Me Dance

Perfection Is Key

One/One

My hands became clammy and I felt like slapping myself. How was I supposed to dance with anyone while my hands were clammy? My pink dress was getting glitter everywhere too: I was a mess. Beads of sweat began to form on my forehead and I had to get out of there. I didn’t look perfect anymore.

Outside the fresh, cold air chilled me down to my bones, and goose bumps spread across my shivering body. At that moment I felt like dying, and if anyone were to see me I probably would have. I could hear Zac now in my head if he saw me. He would tell me how awful I looked, and how I had embarrassed him in front of the whole school. It would be humiliating.

No matter how much I wanted to claw at my skin I knew that I couldn’t. If I did that it wouldn’t be clear and pore less. I would have to hide in my bedroom for weeks. Imperfection was the one thing that he could not stand.

The ground seemed to shift as I stepped off of the curb and landed hard on my knees. I had heard the sound of something tearing and I could see the red liquid swelling out from under my raw skin. Tears started to form in my eyes, and I sat there defeated. I felt loose strands of my pale blonde hair tickling my neck, and I yelled out a curse word. Earlier before the dance, I had tightly fastened my hair into a ballerina bun, and it had decided to fall out at precisely this moment.

“Hey kid, are you okay?” I felt my face heat up at the thought of someone seeing me here in the middle of the parking lot, especially Zac. The kid wrapped his hands under my thin arms and picked me off the ground as if I weighted twenty pounds instead of my perfect one-hundred-twenty.

I couldn’t bring myself to answer him as he sat me down on the bench closest to us. As I sat there I could tell my dress was wet and torn up my thigh, and blood was running down my shins; but, I kept my eyes shut and refused to acknowledge the world. “Jade answer me. Please.”

“What do you want Reece?” I pressed the palm of my hands into my eyes to try and stop the tears. Reece had been my best friend before I started dating Zac, but if he saw us talking right now… “I don’t want to talk to you.”

“I know what he’s doing to you babe, and I don’t like it.” I cringed at his choice of wording, but he didn’t seem to notice.

I thought back to when Zac had first asked me out, and how different I had been. It was as if I had become a completely different person. “You know what Reece,” I stood up now and looked him straight in the eyes, “You have no idea what you’re talking about.” I turned away from him and walked towards Zac’s car. I didn’t care if I was going to get bloodied up tonight, I just couldn’t look into Reece’s sad eyes any longer.