The Game

Mikey's House

When they arrived, they got out and Mikey took Monica up to the front door slowly hoping to buy time.

He unlocked the door and let her in, taking her to the living room where he knew his dad would be staring at the blank TV as if it were on.

He was right.

"Dad." He said quietly.

The man looked at him immediately as if he’d just herd that every bee was now a light bulb.

"This is Monica." He said just as quietly.

The man’s eyes scanned the small girl head to toe before nodding to her. She gave him a smile and let Mikey take her hand and take her into his room.

He was a little embarrassed at his bed sheets at the moment but that flew out the window when she picked up a guitar hero guitar.

"Let’s play!" she beamed.

Nodding, he set up the game and agreed to let her be lead guitar.

Hours later, they put the game away and settled on watching ‘Hatchet’ for the next hour or so.

Before either of them noticed, it was ten o’clock.

"I better get home." They stood and went out to Mikey’s car.

"That was fun. We should do that more often." she smiled once they got in.

"Maybe we should." He agreed, pulling out of the drive way and down the street that was dimly lit with street lamps.

When the got home, Chelsea Counterman spoke kindly to Mikey about having Monica home by eight, to which he agreed.

The woman then left them to say their goodbyes.

"Thank you again for....yesterday." Monica said, looking at her feet.

Without thinking, Mikey gently grabbed her chin and made her look at his face.

"Stop thanking me. It’s okay."

She nodded. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and told her he’d see her at school before leaving.

Monica grinned thinking about how great of a friend she had made.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short but here it is!