Status: Nano '11

Black and White Keys

Bm

“Zayriah, I have the audition forms for Julliard.”

Zayriah Gayle turned at the mention of her name and jumped up from her criss- cross position on the floor and raced to her long time piano teacher, Ms. Burts.

“I can’t believe it. I’m about to apply for the most prestigious performing arts schools,” Zayriah bit her lip and turned to the older woman, “do you think I’m good enough to make it?”

Ms. Burts gave the young girl a reassuring hug, “Talent like yours is hard to find, don’t doubt yourself so much.”
Zayriah sighed and turned to the black baby grand piano that sat in the corner of the room, “I guess I need to start practicing my piece.”
“I leave you alone then.” Ms. Burts gave her a small smile before leaving out of the solitary practice room.

Zayriah heaved a huge sigh as laid her head on the keys letting the low groan of the piano fill the room, What have I gotten my self into?

Robert Mauriello stood outside the brick building that was Downtown High School. Where the students could care less and so could the teachers’. Robert dangled the unlit cigarette from his lips, contemplating whether or not to skip school today. He had already missed enough days in the first semester alone to keep him another year in the hell hole he despised.

Screw it , he thought to himself stomping out the unlit cigarette, I can find something better to do.
He pulled the ratty jacket closer to his muscular frame and hoped into his restored 1972 Buick. The car roared to life and he peeled out the student parking lot hoping to find something to get into. Oh how easy that was.

“Riah, you’re going to make us late. Stop slow poking around.” Louisa Russell poked Zayriah’s side as she struggled to grab her dancer’s bag out of her locker and shove her textbooks back in, “We need bigger lockers around here, our books are too big for this little space they give us.”

Zayriah slammed her locker shut, successfully grabbing the necessary items for her dance class.

“Come on!” Louisa grabbed her wrist tightly and dragged her down the emptying hallways, “Madame will chew us out if we’re late.”

Zayriah scoffed, “Yeah right. Me? Most definitely. You? Her star student? I highly doubt.”

Louisa allowed a cocky grin to grace her face, “Your right. You better hustle.
The girls rushed quickly into the changing room. It was mostly empty except for a few girls chatting quietly. The bell rang and Zayriah snatched the shirt from over her head. They had only five minutes to get changed before Madame Maxine would start the class. She didn’t tolerate lateness at all .

The girls rushed out of the locker room with seconds to spare in their matching blue leotards and take their places. Unfortunately, the pair was split up. Louisa could easily flutter across the room with her natural grace and dancer’s long legs. Zayriah gave a small wave to her best friend as she took her place in the back, with the more dance challenged students.

Madame Maxine strode in exactly as the minute hand touched one. Just like she did every day. Her stone cold blue eyes scanned the girls looking for something wrong or out of place with any of the girls. Zayriah twitched nervously. Physical activities were not her strong suit. However, at Middleton Prepatory High School, a physical education class was required. Zayriah would choose dancing over dogging being hit in the face any day.

“Okay girls, as many of you hoping for a dancer’s scholarship know, Julliard is holding the auditions for admissions soon. I’m offering class after school to help those who would like it.”

Zayriah stomach clenched as she thought about her own audition she had to practice for. Normally, playing the piano came naturally to her. To some she might be considered a musical prodigy, but the thought her whole life riding on this one piano audition scared the crap out of her.

She was so focused on her own worries that she didn’t her Madame start the music.

“Go!” Another girl hissed shoving Zayriah roughly into the dance. She looked around dazed and tried to keep up with the other dancers as they danced to the slightly jazz track that filled the room.

Zayriah cringed inwardly as she accidentally knocked into someone knocking them to the floor.

“Watch it, Gumby!”

“Sorry,” Zayriah whispered backing away slowing hoping to sit out for the remainder of the dance.
“Zayriah, what was that?” the music had stopped and all the eyes in the dance studio were on her.
“I-I-I’m sorry Madame, I wasn’t paying attention.”

“Obviously,” the girl muttered picking herself up from the floor.

“Sit this one out until you can perform the moves correctly.”

Zayriah’s face burned as she moved to opposite side of the room and watched the girls as they lined up again, and correctly executed the dance. Louisa gave her a sympathetic smile. Zayriah did her best to return the smile, but she felt more embarrassed than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is my Nano, and so far it hasn't turned out how I want it, but I'm working on improving it.