Sequel: Bright Lights
Status: In the Works :]

Keeping Up With Toews?

Chapter 19: Once a cheater, always a cheater.

Chapter 19:

November 3, 2011
With the season already in full swing, and the Blackhawks on their annual circus trip, Karoline sat in her living room, flipping pages through her magazine, reading an article about her sister Kim’s divorce.
“Stupid, stupid, stupid.” Karoline whispered as she read what Kris had said about their marriage, “You big dumb basketball player.” While she finished reading the article, her phone rang through the empty condo. Sighing, she got up from her couch, and grabbed her phone from the counter.
Seeing that Jon was calling her, she quickly picked up and gave him a small ‘hello’
“Hey, we just landed in Nashville, how are you?” Jon said tiredly, “I’m doing fine, feels weird not having you around. Congrats on yesterday’s goal in Toronto, sorry I didn’t call last night, I was too tired from my rotation.” Karoline told him while flipping the pages in the magazine, “it’s fine, how was it by the way?” He asked, Karoline heard a faint ‘come on tazer’ and Karoline knew that he had to go. “I gotta go, we’re going to walk around the city before our game tomorrow, I’ll call you later?” “Yeah, that’s fine. I love you.” She told him, “I love you too,” with that the two hung up and Karoline sighed sadly and took notion of the emptiness that the condo felt. Karoline got up from the couch, and into the kitchen making herself a early dinner for 1.

As for Jonathan, after he hung up with Karoline, Patrick Kane yelled for him to hurry up. “Way to take forever there bud,” Kaner said as they were entering the elevator. “How’s Karol?” Jon sighed, “She’s okay I guess, she’s been working late for her rotations at the hospital and I think it’s taken a toll on her.” Jon explained, the elevator dinged indicating that they reached the lobby, as the two exited, they walked to their usual group consisting of Seabrook, Duncan, Sharpie, Stalberg, and Niklas. “You to get a quickie in? You guys are the last ones,” Seabrook joked, Jon glared at him while Kaner put his arm around Jon’s shoulder. “Jealous Seabs?” Kaner playfully said, “You betcha kid.” Seabrook replied and the group laughed. “Nah, but Jonny boy was talking to Karoline,” Patrick said while he jabbed his thumb at Jonathan. “How is she? Abby told me about their lunch date a couple days ago and said she was getting skinny.” The older Patrick said, the group walked out of the lobby following the team as they explored the downtown of Nashville. “I guess, I mean when I talked to her just now, she sounded tired, and frustrated. I’m guessing tired from her shifts and medical school, and frustrated with her sister’s divorce.” Jon said as they walked down the sidewalk. “I still can’t believe after only 72 days of marriage, they’d gotten a divorce, the life of a celebrity huh?” Sharp said. Jon nodded his head, “I kind of knew that it wouldn’t last, I mean, he’s a cool guy, but when we were in Bora Bora, it was just too much tension and the fighting was unbearable,” Jon told him, “I don’t see how Karoline is part of their family, I mean, look at her personality, she’s quiet, stays out of the limelight, isn’t on the show as much, and then she’s so normal compared to the rest of them, I mean damn, if I was 17 again, I’d so date Kendall.” Kaner injected, Jon gave him a glare, “Seriously? Way to be a pedophile Kaner.” Kaner shrugged his shoulders, “At least I’m telling you the truth, I mean Karoline is drop dead gorgeous, but she doesn’t flaunt it, but when you look at her family, they do nothing but flaunt it.” Jon stayed quiet, “I guess that’s why I love her, she doesn’t seem to care what her last name is or who her family is. She wants to be a surgeon, not a celebrity. When I met her at the charity event back in ChiTown, I just knew that she was different, I guess that’s what made me attracted to her, not by who she was, but who she is now. I know I love her, and I always will.” The boys remained quiet, until Seabs broke the awkward conversation, “Woah, Captain Serious is now Captain Smushy-Pants!!!” the boys laughed and Jon playfully shoved Seabs as they continued down the busy and loud streets of Nashville.

Back in Chicago.
“Seriously Abby, I just want this wedding to be perfect.” Karoline said to Abby as the two were settled in the Sharp’s living room playing with a now a crawling Maddy. “I know you do, but don’t stress over it, I know you can do it, and if you need help, I’m sure the girls and I would be happy to lend you a hand. By the way, have you sent out the Wedding Party invitations yet?” Abby asked as they sat across from each other, legs spread apart, and a little Maddy in the middle on all fours. “Not yet, but we do have the list, and I must say, whoever gets asked will surely love the invite, atleast I hope so.” Karoline replied as she clapped her hands signaling for Maddy to crawl to her. “When’s your next rotation?” Abby asked as she watched her daughter interact with the young 23 year old. “Not until next week, which I’m thankful for. This week is just a bunch of lectures, labs, and reviewing for the big exams coming up in December.” Karoline explained, thinking on it now, it reminded Karoline that she had midterms in a week before Thanksgiving break. Looking at the time, 8:56, Karoline told Abby that she needed to leave and study for midterms coming up. “Thanks for the dinner Abbs!” Karoline replied as she slipped on her red North Face jacket and black Ugg boots on her leggings. “No problem! Thanks for coming over and eating with Maddy and me. We’re trying to get used to Daddy not here aren’t we Maddy?” Little Maddy laughed and clapped her small chubby hands together and blew rasberries. Karoline laughed and hugged the two Sharp’s and went out the door and into Jon’s Tahoe and drove back to the condo. Karoline was in the middle of a red light when her phone buzzed in the cupholder. Looking to see Belle’s name brought a surprise to her face, picking up quickly and set it on speaker, she wondered what Belle wanted, “Hello?” “Kare? Are you busy?” Belle’s voice cracked through, concern etched her face as she heard the sadness in Belle’s tone, “I just left Abby’s, what’s wrong?” Karoline replied with sympathy in her voice, “I did something terrible last night” Karoline made a confused look, “What happened Belle?” “Can you come over? It’s something I can’t say over the phone.“ “I’m on the way” “Thank you so much Kare,” with that the two hung up and Karoline made a change in route to Pat’s condo on the East Side.

After 15 minutes, Karoline knocked on Pat’s condo and a sullen Belle opened the door, “Thank you for coming,” Belle said as she led in Karoline, scared of what her best friend would think after she told her the news, “No problem, what’s wrong?” Karoline asked getting straight to the point, the two brunettes sat down on the couch and faced each other. “Last night I had gone out with a bunch of my old high school friends, and they brought along some guys. There was this one guy I used to date back in my sophomore year, and we saw each other and had a lot of drinks and the next thing I knew, I woke up next to him in bed.” Belle confessed, Karoline’s body froze, cheating was the one thing Karoline hated the most, and lost all trust in people who did it. “Was it intentional, did you want to do it?” Karoline asked with edge. “No! No! It was just I had so much to drink and I felt vulnerable since the boys left for the road trip, and I didn’t think! I didn’t mean to cheat on Pat, I swear.” Belle defended, Karoline didn’t seem to buy it, but held back her tongue, “When are you going to tell him?” Belle shifted her eyes to the floor, “When they come back,” “Belle, that’s not until Sunday afternoon. You can’t just wait a week to tell him, he needs to know now.” Karoline scolded, Belle shrinked when she felt the harsh gaze on her, “I know, but if I tell him now, he’ll loose focus and play bad…” “No, I think the sooner you tell him, the less he’ll be mad. Look, I know what you did wasn’t intentional, but really you need to tell him. He deserves to know. The later you do it, he’ll be so pissed and he’ll be really angry and you’ll loose that trust from Him, Jon, and Me. Belle you know how I feel about cheaters,” Karoline said as she got up from her spot, and hugged Belle, “Tell him tonight,” and she left Belle to her self and went down to the Tahoe.

Quickly dialing Jon’s number, she waited 4 rings till he finally picked up, “Hello?” Jon’s voice rang, the background was quiet except for the occasional TV noise. “Jon, is Pat with you?” Karoline asked as she put the car into drive and onto the busy streets. “No, he’s in Seabs room, they’re playing cards.” Jon answered while flipping channels, “Oh, good. I need to tell you something, but you can’t say promise?” Karoline said, Jon shifted up onto the bed and curiosity sparked his mind, “Okay,” “Belle cheated on Pat last night.” Karoline said quickly, and Jon immediately shot out of bed, “What?! No way.” “Yes way, she just told me a few minutes ago. Apparently she slept with one of her old high school friend’s friend. She said it wasn’t intentional, but once you’re a cheater, you will always be one.” Karoline said and Jon could hear the harshness in her tone, “I can’t believe it, I thought Kaner would mess this up, but man, I’m in shock right now,” Karoline rolled her eyes at Jon’s words, “Kaner is a nice guy, he’s just has a mind of a 16 year old boy stuck in a 22 year olds body.” Jon laughed at Karoline’s input, Jon glanced towards the clock and saw that it was almost 11:30. “Babe, I gotta go, it’s almost 11:30, I’ll talk to you in the morning?” Karoline glanced to her clock and saw it was only 10:28, “Yeah, good night, and good luck. I love you Captain.” Jon smiled and said his goodnights.

The two of them both hung up, each having a smile on their faces, Jon laid in his bed, staring at his lock screen, where a bright smiling Karoline and himself stood in the middle of the ice holding the Stanley Cup together. This is where the next chapter begins, where love conquers all. But is love strong enough to keep the binding strong as ever?
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's crap. insomnia is catching up to me.
just a filler update with added drama.
one more chapter left until the sequel.
once again I love all my subscribers, readers, and commenters!
<3
thankyou for reading and i can't wait to hear from you guys on this story when it's over.
also, i am still looking for characters for the sequel, if you want to be in the sequel, just message me. i have already one taker, and in need of probably 2 more.

<3 you guys,
elizabeth.