Status: In Progress

Fallen Future

Jinx

After my encounter with Raven, I decided to just call it a night. My muscles were sore after fighting Jennifer, despite the fact that I’d won, and emotionally I was exhausted as well. The worries and stress that went round my head was never-ending, and it was so tiring. Part of me was desperate for a shower, but I knew if I stood under the hot, relaxing water, I’d never move away from it. So I just rubbed at my tense shoulder, and headed for my room.

As I swung the door open and stepped into darkness, I was acutely aware of somebody else in the room. My first though was of Joker and I froze, too scared to move. I head the person shift and saw a vague outline as my eyes adjusted to the dark. This triggered me to launch into action, throwing myself on the light switch.

"Logan!" I yelled his name, ready to run to his room, knowing he’d help.

"Well. Not quite the reception I was expecting," he replied from behind me. "No need to shout, kiddo."

I turned slowly, my face flushing as I realized my fears were based on nothing. With the light now on, I saw Logan standing by my bed with a puzzled smile. I slumped against the wall, covering my face with my hands out of shame. I hadn’t been this embarrassed in a long time.

"I thought you were somebody else," I muttered.

"Yeah, I figured," he laughed gruffly. "That freak taking an interest in you really has freaked you out, hasn’t it?"

"Yeah," I peeked out from behind my hand, watching Logan rifle through the bits of paper that were littered all over my desk. More than a few personal thoughts had been scrawled down there, so I went over and tugged his hand, pulling him away. He looked startled by my roughness. "So. Why were you sitting in my room in the dark anyway? Were you trying to terrify me?"

"No," now it was his turn to look embarrassed as he ran a hand through the messy mop that was his hair. "I actually wanted to give you a present. To say sorry for earlier."

"A… present?" I blinked, letting go of his hand and glancing to the bed where he gestured. Two bottles of whiskey were propped up on my pillow. "So why didn’t you just leave them there with a note or something? Why sit in the dark?"

"I was going to just leave them, but I wanted to apologize properly. I was trying to think up what to say," he was shifting uncomfortably now. I smiled, tempted to make him squirm longer, but something in his eyes turned the mood serious again. "Look, I’m sorry."

"It’s fine," I shrugged. "Me too, I-"

"No," Logan held up a hand to silence me. "I need to say this. I shouldn’t have told you what to do. It wasn’t right of me, and I’m sorry. I was totally out of order. You were right to be angry with me. So, I’m sorry."

"You really don’t like apologizing, do you," I joked, seeing him grimace. "Look, it’s fine. I’ll try and be more careful from now on. After all, I won’t always have you here to bandage me up. Speaking of which," I tugged at the neck of my t-shirt, pulling it down enough to show the bloodied bandage at my collar bone. "Think you could do this one again? I kind of overdid it in the training room."

"Sure," Logan smiled weakly. "You did win though, right?"

"Of course!"

"That’s my girl," he laughed. "So, do you keep first aid stuff in here?"

"First drawer down in the desk."

I sat down on the bed as Logan got all the necessary stuff to hand; unbuttoned my shirt yet again. With all the times he’d patched me up he’d seen my bra far too often for me to feel uncomfortable about it now. After all, wiping blood off somebody was hardly an erotic situation.

"You’ve got another one" Logan noticed the cut on my shoulder Jennifer had got in with her Batarangs. "I’ll do that as well, while I’m here."

"It’s fine," I sighed. "You’re like an overprotective father."

"I wouldn’t say that exactly," he muttered under his breath, fixing the bandage together and using a tissue to get rid of the blood stains. I stared at him, watching him fix me up, his hands gentle. When he was like this, it was almost impossible to relate it to the violent Wolverine who battled people so ruthlessly. It was even totally different from the sarcastic Logan who would happily clip Zero and Max or kick them or snarl at them. Come to think of it, he’d always been different around me to when we were other people. "There you go, Jinx. All patched up."

"Thanks," I said quietly. Both of us sat on the edge of my bed in silence for a few moments.

"Did you really mean what you said? Earlier, I mean," Logan interrupted the silence, his voice tentative. "About not caring if you died or not? And that… well, everyone you cared about was gone?"

"Kind of," I shrugged, scooting over on the bed and moving the bottles of whiskey onto the desk so I could lean against the pillows. My eyes were barely open and my voice was thick with sleep. "I miss my family. Nobodies really there for me these days..."

I snuggled into my pillow, and heard Logan get up and turn off the light then come back to sit next to me.

"I'm always here for you, you know," his voice was throaty and rough, and I opened my eyes a crack. In the dark I could just about make out his face in profile, scrunched up in a thoughtful frown. I yawned, pulling the blanket over myself. "I'd do anything for you."

"Shush, it's time for sleep now," I whispered, tugging at his sleeve again until he was lying next to me. I flung a corner of the blanket over him, then leaned my head on his shoulder. "It's like we're back in the make-shift tent again. Just don't have any more nightmares..."

"I won't," Logan laughed softly, then pulled me into a tight hug. "Just get some sleep, okay?"

In opened one eye to look at him. His eyes were closed and he looked more relaxed than I'd ever seen him. I smiled to myself, then pressed my lips to his for just a moment. He barely moved, except for a smile growing as I lay back down.

"Night, Logan."

"G'night, kid."