Status: In Progress

Fallen Future

Robin

It was at times like that one where I wished I could fly. Or that I had super human speed. Or teleportation abilities. Hell, I'd have settled for a bus pass at that moment there.

"Batman? Are you there? For gods sake, come in!"

There was no way that Bruce would lecture me about keeping all communication lines open only to disregard his own advice. That meant he was either stuck in his detective thing, or... I didn't know how to finish that thought.

I didn't think. Or rather, didn't think about the wrong thing. Focused on the 'how' and not the 'why'. Example- 'How the hell am I going to get to the manor in time to stop whatever might be happening?' and not 'Why is Bruce not responding?'

The city streets were wet and icy, and constantly threatening to pull themselves away from under my feet. In the days before the war, Gotham was a proud city. Dirty, yes. But proud and magnificent against the American skyline. Terribly corrupt, but still standing tall. At least that was before it finally crumbled from within, and when Bane lead the rest of those madmen against the city's protector, Batman, forcing him to flee or fall. I still remember when the news broke.

The Caped Crusader was none other than Bruce Wayne. And now he was on the run. For me, that was when the war really hit home - the world despaired when Superman fell, came close to collapsed when the Lanterns left, but... Batman. We always thought he'd be around. His unmasking was where most lost hope. The beheading of Tony Stark was when the rest followed suit.

"Bruce?" I murmured, toying with my earpiece again. No reply, and I was still over a mile from the manor.

"Help! Is there anybody... Help me, please!"

Cursing under my breath, I stopped, panting. In the distance I could see the faint outline of Wayne Manor, and if Bruce was in trouble... But I couldn't just leave whoever it was screaming like that alone.

"Somebody!"

"I hate having a conscious," I swore as I switched direction, trying to locate where my mystery damsel was calling from. Can a damsel even have a male voice? In my world, anything was possible.

There- streaming out of an abandoned building, black smoke curled seductively towards the night sky as the bottom floors were consumed with flames. I peeled my eyes, surveying the windows not blacked out by smoke, trying to find signs of life. On the seventh floor, there was a faint outline of what looked like a man slumped against the window.

"Shit. Okay, Robin, deep breaths, deep breaths. It's only fire. Just fire! I mean, Logan's been on fire plenty of times. I think. Sure, he's more metal than flesh and can heal any wounds instantly, but still... That takes balls," I sighed. "Just be glad nobodies around to hear your pathetic pep talk."

And I rushed into the building before I changed my mind.

Instantly the heat slammed into me like a brick wall, forcing precious oxygen out of my lungs. Blinking back tears while covering my face and nose with my cape, I made my way up the stairs which, thankfully, the fire hadn't spread to yet. Here the heat was no less oppressive, but the smoke was less dense.

"Hello!"

That was a mistake- I sounded like I'd come to sell cookies. Bruce did the silent scary man routine, Logan the, well... Logan does the psychopathic thing but at least he did it well. At times I felt like just a child. Seven floors up, four windows across, Flat... 7B. What a charming apartment.

It took me two attempts to kick the door open. Foolish, in situations like that I couldn't afford to waste time. I ran into the room, quickly checked for any possible traps before turning my attention to the man slumped in the corner.

"Are you alright? Can you hear me?" I put my hand on his shoulder. His skin was cold to the touch. "You're safe now," I pulled him back and stifled a shout. His skin was deathly pale, eyes blank and lifeless. And his face... Somebody had carved a hideous grin across his face. No... Not someone.

"Joker."

"Close, but not quite."

Despite the heat I felt cold. Something about that voice....

I turned, unfurling my staff from my belt. Now came the part that I like; the part that I was good at. Whoever this was was in for some serious-

"Holy shit you're big."

His bulk took up the entire doorway: huge muscles bulging in his arms, which were crossed, almost casually, across his just as muscular chest. I knew who this was: his voice often terrorized the airwaves, striking fear into the heart of the rebellion. our last reports had him placed somewhere in Brazil. Our last reports were obviously wrong.

"Bane."

This was bad. Good God this was bad. Any idiot with half a braincell could have figured out this was a trap. Guess I don't qualify as for that half.

"Robin. The new pretender."

"Bane. Luthors Lapdog."

That's clever Robin, just you taunt him. Taunt the three hundred pound mammoth blocking the only exit. Clever.

"So you lure me here, with a fake cry for help. Sorry but Bats isn't here." I prodded the icy corpse behind me. "Good job on the Joker rip-off, by the way."

He laughed shortly.

"Don't taunt me, boy. I know he wouldn't leave you to conduct such an important mission by yourself. Where. Is. He?"

"Shows what you know. Maybe-"

And I dived, aiming for the sliver of space between his bulk and the door, hoping my inane chatter had suitable distracted him. But it failed; his hand closed around my throat, lifting me into the air. Well that ruined the theory the muscles were just for show.

"I see Wayne's pention for picking unsuitable apprentices hasn't changed over the years. Pathetic boy."

He hurled me across the room; what air was still in my lungs was pushed out by the impact of body on brick. Stars tap danced across my field of vision as I tried to push myself up off the rapidly warming floorboards, arms shaking furiously with the effort involved.

"Y'know, maybe we should take this outside? I don't know about you, but I sure ain't fireproof."

"I don't foresee this lasting much longer," he raised his arm, and pressed down on the device strapped on his wrist. His body spasmed as he doubled over.

Oh. Maybe I got let off lucky by getting a suicidal psychopath. If there is a God....

Bane straightened up, a new sense of purpose in his eyes, and I knew what had just happened. Venom. As if I didn't already have my work cut out for me. Quickly, and before he could do more than take a step in my direction, I spiraled round and leaped out the window. I'd much rather take my chances with a seven storey drop than face that monster in a blazing building. Just as long as I remembered Bruce's training I'd be ok - roll before you hit the ground, run, and don't look back. Easy.

Everything's easy in practise. Maybe it was the adrenaline coursing through my veins, maybe it was the fear of what Bane would do to me if I failed, but I reached the ground with barely a flicker of pain, and took flight up towards Wayne Mansion. Hopefully Bruce would be fine. Hopefully he could help me put this mad dog down. Otherwise I'd just signed his death warrant.

From behind me I heard the flicker of flames, alone in the quiet of the night before the walls were ripped out of place, and the ground shook with Banes bulk crashing to earth.

"Robin!"

Bruce! Thank God!

"Robin come in!!"

"I'm here!"

"Make your way to the mansion. I've got someone here who wants to see you..."

"Yeah" I replied, glancing back at the monster tearing a path towards me "Well, that makes two of us."