Status: In Progress

Fallen Future

Jinx

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when Logan told me that we had to pick some people up, but I was sure it wasn't two polar opposites wearing costumes. Logan acknowledged the boy, looked once at the female, then shrugged at me and lifted the chopper back into the air.

"Bruce not joining us, then Max?"

"Nah, he had some stuff to do," the guy answered, tearing his gaze away from the girl seated next to him who was staring moodily out the window. She hadn't even put on her headset, so probably couldn't hear us over the the blades. "So, this is the new one, huh?" His eyes rested on me and he grinned. "Two girls in one day, never thought I'd be so lucky."

The icy looks both Logan and I gave him silenced him after that, and his smile wavered.

"We'll talk when we get back to base, kid."

"You're as bad as Batman with your love of silence," Max grumbled.

"When you get to this age, you'll be the same. Trust me. Now- zip it."

Image

We got back to the base fairly quickly, and I was bursting with curiosity towards the new pair that had joined us. Thankfully, I didn't even have to ask.

"I'm Robin," the boy grabbed my hand and shook it, grinning all the while before pulling his mask off. He had startlingly blue eyes, and his shaggy black hair hung over his face. He looked to be about my age, but more carefree. "I get to hang out with the notorious Batman, while you're stuck with Logan. Looks like you pulled the short straw."

"If that's the way you want to look at it," I said edgily, holding back a smile as I saw Logan's eyes narrow. He sauntered off, muttering something about a shower and not being a babysitter. "He's not so bad, really."

"I bet he's not put you into any situations where you've had to risk your life against a psycho maniac who's pretty much unstoppable. Seriously, Bruce's plans aren't the most sensible sometimes, I just-"

"It wasn't Bruce's plan," the girl cut in. She had a boy's haircut and sharp eyes that looked me up and down before turning back to Max, or Robin. I wasn't sure what to call him. "It was my idea, my plan, my situation. After Batman and I talked, we figured that it would make more sense for the person who knew Bane best, to come up with something."

"You? You think you know Bane better than Batman?" He laughed mockingly. "How so?"

"Because I was trapped with him for two long years," her voice was hard and cold. "And he tortured me and beat me within an inch of my life nearly every day."

Before either of us could respond, she turned on her heel and stormed off the same way as Logan. I wondered if she'd find the base as intimidating as I did, if she'd get lost or maybe she was better than me. She certainly looked tougher.

"Um, that's Batgirl, I guess," Max shifted uncomfortably. "Bruce found her. I know nothing, so no blame on me, thanks."

"You might need to explain who all these people are. This name dropping is beginning to make my head hurt," I forced a smile, feeling the lack of sleep catching up on me. "I might actually get some rest now. Oh, and I'm Jinx, by the way."

"Well Jinx, you're new here right? Do you know where everything is?"

"Yeah, Logan showed me earlier."

"Damn, Logan gets all the fun," he grinned. "I'm guessing you're one of Professor X's students then?"

"I dunno about the student part, but yeah. I'm one of that lot. I can... Travel in my own unique way I guess," I blushed, feeling a bit strange. But Max didn't look at me like I was a freak, just nodded. "But I don't have a costume or anything."

"Hey! Don't diss the outfit!"

"Okay, sorry. I'll make a mental note, never insult what the Robin is wearing," I actually managed to smile for real after saying that. "And on that note, I guess I'll have to leave you and go to bed, before I collapse."

"Well, I'm going the same way, mind if I walk with you?"

"Knock yourself out."

Max seemed the type who always had something interesting to say, but the walk to our bedrooms we walked in silence. He stopped first at his own door, his own name on it and I imagined his own stuff inside.

"Night then, Jinx. When morning rolls around, I'll explain about all the names I've mentioned. I promise."

I smiled back at him, and headed to my own room. It seemed strange to think how quickly my life had changed. I had gotten so used to being alone, but I was sure that if I was to be dumped back into the wilderness by myself now, it would almost be as bad as when I was sixteen and everyone around me was dying. Because now I had hope, and I never wanted to lose it, not again.

And in my dreams that night, I no longer saw tortured faces.

Image

"Wake up, kid. Breakfast delivery!"

As I opened my eyes, I realized that I'd never noticed the smell of bacon was the most delicious smell of all. It woke me quicker than a bucket of cold water could, and soon I was scrambling into a sitting position and reaching eagerly for the plate that Logan was holding above me.

"Now, just so you know, this isn't an everyday thing," he smirked at me as I tucked in. "Normally we have meals in the hall if we're here, breakfast is cold and most of the time lunch is as well, but it's good and that's fine. Dinner's hot though, and there's always leftovers. I only got you this because I told them you were a skinny little runt who needed fattening up."

"Jeez, thanks," I pulled the blanket tighter round me, feeling more self-conscious again. "Anyway, life seems alright. A lot of sleeping and eating. I could get used to this."

"Well, don't," Logan's voice turned a little sharper. "You've got a lot to do. Hence feeding you up. Today you start training."

"Training?" I swallowed my last bit of bacon as he shoved new, clean clothes into my hands. "What am I training for? And why?"

"Me, Robin, the new girl and eventually Batman, when he gets here, will help get you fit. In case you didn't notice, there's a bunch of psychopaths now running the planet. And we're the people who keep the rebellion alive. Who fight against them. Simply because we have to."

"Right," I nodded.

"Remember, you can drop out now, but if you're going to give up do it now. It stops me from wasting precious time," he glared at me, and I looked away. "So, are you going to be up for it?"

"Of course, I'm not a coward!" I snapped back, flinging the blanket off me and pulling my clothes on. Tight black trousers and an equally tight-fitting jumper. Logan smirked at my angry expression, but his smile was tight and strained.

"Good to hear it. Now, hurry up."

Image

If I thought Logan would go easy on me because we had gotten close, I was horribly mistaken.

He had me running circuits, lifting weights, and practicing with fake weapons until I collapsed on the floor in a sweaty heap, watching Logan rip the practise dummy to pieces- without unleashing his claws.

"You know," he glanced at me, getting words out between breaths. "You look about twelve when you're asleep. But with a knife in your hand, you look pretty deadly."

"Shut. Up," I panted, pushing my ash-blond hair off my face, but he just laughed. Riled, I concentrated. I hadn't trained any of my powers yet, despite the fact that Logan had mentioned it. I appeared right underneath him, crouched, and kicked his legs out from underneath him. He sprawled onto his back, then sat up, looking at me with a stunned look on his face.

"Guess I won't need to train you as long as I thought," he smiled. "Now come on, got any other moves?"