Aim for the Brain

Distraction

Daryl’s time spent on his own had been something he’d often looked foreword to. He realized however… carrying an unconscious girl back to camp was something he did not enjoy. With his feet sliding in the mud every other step he took and her weight baring don on his shoulders – he had to stop several times to regain his strength, and each time he did, he would try to rouse her to consciousness.

She was cold, and it seemed that at first glance she was even dead. He was slightly surprised at himself that he hadn’t just put an arrow in her brain the moment he saw it wasn’t Sophia. He was glad he didn’t – because he was sure of what he heard.

He half-way tired to convince himself that he had misheard what she said. He had slightly death with the loss of his brother and he wasn’t ready to bring that back yet. Sophia had been his goal, and now he was distracted. Granted with his luck this Merle she was muttering about could be the only other man named Merle in Atlanta. He doubted it was actually his brother – but he had to know.

***

When he reached the clearing near Hershel’s Farm he was glad that Glen had run out to his aid. There were several others watching from a distance, probably wondering if he was dragging back Sophia’s dead corpse. But he saw relief wash over Glen’s fact when he realized it wasn’t a little dead girl, but a survivor.

“She’s sick – get ‘er to Hershel.” Daryl said passing on the limp girl.

“Where’d you find her?” Glen asked.

“Where do ya think? In the damned woods!” Daryl said catching his breath. Glen, like always, had irritated Daryl with nothing more than a small comment. So he kept his mouth shut while they both walked towards the house in silence. Rick and Shane seemed to find their way to the two other men – obviously everyone had their eyes on what exactly Daryl had brought back to camp.

“Damn walker?” Shane asked.

“Nah – just some girl, tired ta’ take a nap in the rain.” Daryl said.

“She bit?” Shane asked.

“Not that I can tell.” Daryl answered. He hated the way Shane was able to irritate him with just his presence. His constant attempt at control made Daryl want to put an arrow in his head.

“Well who the hell is she then?” Shane asked, he was giving Daryl a look like he’d just brought back a walker to camp and asked everyone to bit it.

“If I knew I’d tell ya damnit!” Daryl said, his voice getting irritated.

“If yer just gonna bring back strays every day then you and I are gonna have to have a little talk.” Shane said

“Shane!” Rick added, trying to get him to calm down. Hershel was now on the front porch wondering what everyone was complaining about.

“Daryl found her – in the woods.” Glen said.

Hershel gave them a skeptical look.

“I don’t recognize her.” Hershel said while shaking his head.

“Don’t matter!” Daryl said. “She needs help!”

Hershel came down and checked her pulse, “It’s weak.” He said.

“She could be infected.” Rick added in a calm and concerned tone.

“Nah, she’d be burning if she was, this girl’s as cold as ice. We outta’ get her warmed up, and she what her temperature is then.”

“You mean you’re gonna take this strange girl in and help her? What if she turns?” Shane asked, he was almost appalled that they would take this kind of chance.

“I took Carl in, I trusted that he wasn’t ill. And I’ll do the same with this girl.” Hershel said. Shane pursed his lips and looked back at Rick, hoping he would help him in some way… but as always – their decisions conflicted. Daryl kept what he had heard to himself, afraid that if he began spouting off about Merle again – they’d think he’d gone mad. Inside he was desperately hoping that perhaps she had run into Merle, maybe seen that he was okay or where he could be. Any information about his brother would be greatly appreciated.

*****

Hershel stepped out into the kitchen where several others were preparing dinner.

“How is she?” Lori asked.

Hershel noted that Daryl was patiently sitting down the hall, obviously listening in.

“Well I’m quite concerned.”

Patricia stepped in behind him, with another worried look on her face.

“What is it? What’s wrong?” Maggie asked her father.

“Well she hasn’t regained consciousness. But now that she’s in a regulated environment her temperature has started to rise and… it’s an obvious fever.”

“So she’s infected?” Rick asked.

“We searched her entire body… and there’s not a single mark.” Patricia said.

“It’s an infection, but like a certain infection that usually mothers can contract during child birth.” Hershel explained. “From our antibiotics to yours, we might be able to rid the infection from her body. She’s gravely ill, and from what it looks like she spent the night in the rain, which sent the infection into overdrive.”

Then Patricia interrupted: “But our greatest concern lies with the fact that… well – this woman gave birth not too long ago… but Daryl didn’t bring any newborns back with him.”

“Daryl… did you see anything?“ Rick asked.

“Nah, just her, laying against a long. Nothing around her but mud.” Daryl answered.

“I don’t know what drove her to end up that way-“ Hershel began.

“Perhaps she was running from something –“ Shane interjected “-perhaps she’s infected.”

“It’s not that kind of infection.” Hershel said, “I explained that.”

“Yeah but we don’ know a lot about this disease, it could manifest any way it sees fit – maybe it’s trying to trick us!” Shane exclaimed.

“Shane we’re going to see this through… under my care I think I can get her to pull through. Then we can find out where this child is, as well as the one of your own.”

“Maybe we should talk to Daryl about bringing home strays.” Shane said.

“Maybe you should shut your big mouth!” Daryl told Shane.

“I ain’t comfortable with someone we don’t know, that we can’t talk to, and that had a god dammed fever, SLEEPIN’ IN MY CAMP!”

Hershel was just as irritated with Shane as everyone else, stepping foreword to the young man, Hershel made it clear that this: ”was his house!” Shane left the room in a hurry, and as he walked away everyone could see the pistol he had in his back waistband, and the way his hand was resting on top of it. Rick followed him, as it seemed that he had promised Hershel that he would keep his group under control – Shane had been upset since he’s came back without Otis that night, and everyone could tell.

The girls went back to preparing dinner – and Daryl slinked back into the shadows of the hallway – trying to peak into the room where the girl was laying. The door was open only a crack but he could see the pale girl, her face glistening in sweat. All he could think was: what could she possibly know?

He was startle when he heard the smash of a kitchen plate. Carol had begun to set the table, and the tears in her eyes must’ve obscured her vision. He had forgotten all about Sophia that day, finding a girl, hearing his brother’s name. That little girl was out there somewhere, and everyone feared the worst when the rain his. Daryl knew it was likely for her to find shelter, he figured she was hiding out somewhere they just hadn’t found yet and that they would come across it soon.

Before he had become so enveloped within finding the girl that nothing really mattered besides going out each day and looking. But now he was transfixed by the girl in the other room – someone so pretty even when sick, and someone who knew so much, someone who had to.