‹ Prequel: Perfection Is Key
Sequel: That Special Bond

Let Me Dance

One/One

The song started with a piano solo, and then she began to sing again. At first I was afraid, I was petrified. Carrie belted the song out at the top of her lungs and swayed her hips to the upbeat tempo. But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong, and I grew strong. And I learned how to get along. She raised her hands in the air as the chorus began and tightly closed her eyes while she sang.

"Go on now go, walk out the door! Just turn around now, cause you’re not welcome anymore!”

“What are you doing?" The music was shut off and Carrie’s face turned a light shade of pink as she stood, frozen in the middle of her shared living room. Normally on a Saturday night her roommate – Taylor – was at work until eleven. But she had seemingly returned a few hours early today.

Carrie tried to shrug it off and tucked a stray strand of her golden hair behind her ear. “Nothing, just dancing you know?” She busily began straightening the pile of magazines sitting on the coffee table for something to do.

Carrie and Taylor had been rooming with each other since their freshman year at BGSU, and that was two years ago, so Taylor knew that something was wrong when she saw Carrie’s red eyes. “Don’t lie to me Carrie.”

“Alright,” Something inside of her seemed to finally break as tears began to pour down her cheeks. “Tyler broke up with me.”

“Sweetheart,” Taylor didn’t know what to say so she walked over to Carrie and put her arms around the girl’s thin body.

“It’s alright.”

“No its not, we need to go out and do something.” Taylor released Carrie and looked at her tear streaked face. “Let’s go find you a guy to flirt with, that always cheers me up. You don’t need to sit here and wallow with Gloria Gaynor.”

“I’m heart-broken Taylor, just let me dance!” Carrie spun around, walked over to the stereo, and turned the song back on. It took all the strength I had not to fall apart, kept trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart.

Taylor sighed loudly and sat on the sofa. She didn’t like the song that well, even though it talked about women being strong without their man around. I used to cry. Now I hold my head up high, and you see me. Somebody new. I’m not that chained up little person still in love with you.

“Dance with me Taylor!” Carried stood in front Taylor swaying her hips as the song started over once again. She reached her arms out toward the girl on the couch and Taylor grabbed her hands.

The rest of the night, they listened to the song on repeat, and sang at the tops of their lungs. Their voices became raw and scratchy, but that didn’t stop them anymore than the losers they had left in their pasts.