Pretending to be Dead

Pretending Running Isn't Dangerous

Daryl watched as Addie walked up to the hospital, she was easy-going these days. She felt confident, especially with Daryl at her side. But Daryl knew something was wrong here, and their mission was about to become all too dangerous. So Daryl made sure he was the one to open the door, she kindly waited for him to step in first, as he obviously wanted to.

Like the rest of the town, the hospital was eerily quiet. Almost as if the entire town was gone. Both of them new the town was sizable enough to hold a large amount of people. But there weren’t corpses, no body bags, no walkers.

Something was wrong.

Daryl became slightly more protective of Addie the moment he realized there was something unordinary about this town. He kept her behind him, his crossbow covering her, she was stronger now, but he still wanted to protect her. The hall leading to the stairs was empty; papers littering the floor, and the occasional blood spatter on the walls. Addie watched as Daryl lead her closer to he stairs. She hoped that their mission would be easy, both of them were expecting something terrible – but perhaps they shouldn’t be.

Daryl carefully and silently turned the knob to the door leading to the stairs. And instantly Addie could tell that he had found something wrong. She could hear the ragged breathing coming from underneath them. He was leaning over the banister aiming his crossbow. He shot an arrow – Addie watched as it went through the top of the skull and out the jaw of a tall blonde woman. Addie checked the next flight of stairs and couldn’t find others behind her, so with a swing of her axe she beheaded the foul creature. Daryl was back in front of her by the time she was finished. Rancid blood was now running down the steps, and Daryl held her hand while she carefully stepped around it.

Behind him was now an empty hallway – dimly lit and while he was still concerned with her she was occupied with the movement in the shadows. The crazed walker seemed intent on biting, dragging and killing Daryl. Addie watched as his feet were yanked from underneath him and drug into the shadows, and Addie without thinking pulled the trigger of her pistol, essentially saving Daryl’s life.

From her sack she pulled out a towel and began wiping the splattered blood from his face, that was when both of them heard it… the loudest… most frightening sound they new they could hear at a time like this. Her gunshot had attracted attention, like they usually did and now they could hear the running upstairs and the most ear deafening roar from where they were. She pulled Daryl to his feet he regained his crossbow and together they ran.

Addie opened the first door she came across, and proceeded to drag Daryl in after her. Both startled from what they had just gotten themselves into – and both afraid. At the bottom of the floor they could see whatever it was making it’s way down the hall… more walkers, hybrids… neither wanted to find out. Both were pressed against each other as well as the door. Ready to brace for whatever wanted to try and find it’s way in.

Addie looked into Daryl eyes, and she saw something that she had always found attractive. The look of protection, that drive of survival – it came to him naturally. She knew that he would do anything to keep her safe. She couldn’t help but quickly kiss him while they stood their hiding from their fate.

The footsteps had passed, and they waited another short while until they believed the coast was clear.

“We get out, we get the fuel, and then we run!” he told her.

She nodded.

Together they silently opened the door and listened for anything. Addie checked both ends of the dim hall to find that the creatures had disappeared. Addie ran, almost without Daryl, he was behind her, but he wasn’t keeping up – he hadn’t expected her to make a break for it so quickly. She began opening doors wherever she could – food, medical supplies, water, staff locker room, she seemed to have found everything except the fuel. She shut each door behind her and finally opened the last door she could see. A green door with a silver bar across it – she pressed down on the bar and the door flew open, it was so light, and looked as though it would be heavy. It swung around to hit the wall adjacent to it, grabbing the attention of several walkers in the room. But directly in front of her was fuel. She ran forward, betting on her getting to the fuel… before they got to her. She was able to grab a canister before she felt the dead hands on her flesh, and with no weapon at her side. She felt the spray of blood across her skin – something she was sadly too familiar with.

Now on the floor there were two dead walkers, normal walkers. An arrow in their brain. She watched as he aimed at another, pulling the trigger. Without wasting more time she stuffed two canisters into her backpack and then another two into Daryl’s and then each took one per hand.

“What the fuck did you think you were doing?” Daryl asked.

She looked at him, she wouldn’t know what to say – she just smile before running back down the hall. Daryl caught up with her.

“If you EVER! Do that again! I’ll have to put an arrow in your damned head!”
Addie was now bounding back up the stairs.

“Addie! ADDIE! Do you hear me?!” Daryl asked infuriated. She opened the floor level door and turned back to shut it.

They had walked into a trap.

There were three heavy set blood thirsty hybrids – they had been waiting, they knew exactly where they’d be heading – it was unnatural for any undead thing. Addie took her axe and slid it through the door handle before directing Daryl up the next flight of stairs. The lower door was now being pounded upon, almost broken down with each thrust. The reached the second floor, happening upon another hybrid. Daryl never hesitated putting another arrow through it’s head. At the end of the hall there was a bright window, showing the suns light, and through it Addie could see the chopper.

“The window.” She said.

“That’s a long drop.” He said.

“Don’t have a choice.” She said referring to the still pounding noise that could be heard from the stairwell. She glanced at the walker on the floor that was now gurgling blood. Daryl opened the window and first dropped his bag, then took hers and dropped it too. Next thing she knew he had his arms around her.

“I’m going to lower you lower, then you can drop.” He said, she nodded in compliance and climbed out the window while grabbing his hands.

She stopped for a moment before asking: “What about you?” but Daryl quickly thrust her forward sending her out the window without an answer. He had a sly smile on his face when she looked at him now angered. He reached as far as he could before letting go, and he watched, as Addie seemed to softly land atop the grass. Next was him - he leaned out the window gauging the distance before looking back to see the rabid walkers making their way up the stairs. With faith he leapt, he shut his eyes tight while he fell, he felt his knee hyper-extend and his shoulder his cement – but realized that he was atop Addie, who had volunteered to break his fall.

Both of them got up as quickly as they could before the walkers leaning out the window above them decided to jump too. Daryl was limping behind her, Addie made it back first and immediately began to flip switches, lighting up the switchboard, and beginning the turn of propellers. She began to load fuel in the back while Daryl was still making his way, she watched as one walker decided to take the chance following them out the window, only his attempt was made head first – and it’s head splattered, leaving black blood and limp legs.

Daryl had just reached the chopper and begun to throw his things inside before pulling himself inside. But now the rest of the hybrids had gotten smart – and they were walking right out the front door. Well, rather running.

Addie first made sure Daryl was safe before sitting down and thrusting the controls upward. She watched as the hybrids claw and jump at Daryl’s legs.